Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2017, 15:48   #16

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc
Re: dinghy thefts St Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailon46 View Post
I spent a whole year in the Marina of Fort Louis and did not have dingy probs but in Anquila I lost Carib dingy and brand New Tohatsu 9.9 cable cutter left me onle cable pieces at Road Harbor town. Cost 5k for replacement with new from St Martin Budget Marine. I was told that all those dingies end up in Nevis by a harbor worker in St Martin.
Every island blames the others. I live in Nevis and Anguilla and i don't see a lot of dinghy theft. In fact, I suspect the biggest risk is other boaters. It's hard for locals to move a dinghy or find a market for them. St Martin would be the exception.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 15:51   #17

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
We've been here since the end of November and there have been no dinghy thefts reported. There were a few last season, but all of them have been recovered.

There is no large port in Marigot. The container ships come into Phillipsburg. Therefore, whoever made that report doesn't know what they are talking about.

Maje
The port is Galis bay, cargo boats load there. Container ships would not be party to stolen merchandise but the smaller inter-island tramp steamers might.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:51   #18

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Sint Maarten, Oh i love our Islands in the sun....

Follow the local news for nice Soap Series. The Caribbean News Network is Dutch Tax Payers financed Soap Serie no body in Holland asks for..

Warden suspects night guards of corruption | Caribbean Network
Tricolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:38   #19

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
Every island blames the others. I live in Nevis and Anguilla and i don't see a lot of dinghy theft. In fact, I suspect the biggest risk is other boaters. It's hard for locals to move a dinghy or find a market for them. St Martin would be the exception.
I agree, the only time my dinghy was stolen it was in Martinique by a French sailor who had a 37' aluminium sailboat that costs probably 5 times our 31'. Later, the same guy got shot at night trying to steal a windvane, he was sent to jail in Martinique (He was a recidivist). After a while (I guess he didn't enjoy being the local criminals' "girlfriend"...) he asked to be transfered to Marseille (His home town). Two "friends" of his, abandonned his sailboat in English Harbor, Antigua, on their way to Marseille... End of story
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, St Martin