Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2021, 05:20   #1

Daily Health Survey Exumas - is there cell coverage?

Has anyone recently cruised the northern Exumas since this daily health survey requirement went into effect? I'm going to be in the Norman to Staniel Cay region next week and the Travel Visa has a requirement for a daily health survey via email under penalty of $100 a day. Is this even possible given the cell coverage situation? What plan did you have?
BrianInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:26   #2

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Daily Health Survey Exumas - is there cell coverage?

The only place in the exumas that doesn't have cell coverage is the Land and Sea Park. Pretty much. It can be spotty in places that technically DO have coverage but move around the corner and you will be fine.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 16:27   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We are just north of staniel now and have been up and down the exumas over the last month or so.
You are never more than 10 or so miles from cell coverage and worst case means hoisting your cell phone set as a hotspot.
Also, bahamas marina association lobbied for and won us cruisers some leniency regarding the survey's. If you dont have cell coverage for a day or 2, just submit all missed and current surveys when you regain coverage. Personally I wouldn't push this past a couple days though.
We have 1 phone with a BTC card, and 1 with aliv. Both work here but BTC seems a little stronger in northern exumas
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 13:24   #4

Boat: Hanse 348

Looking at going from fll to exumas in about a month.

Since this is a cell phone thread, any idea if I can just use my Verizon with travelpass (their 10/day plan, only incur charges if you use it that day) in LTE, or do I need to roam on GSM. Want to keep the same phone number, don't want to use a BTC etc. sim.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:41   #5

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Looking at going from fll to exumas in about a month.

Since this is a cell phone thread, any idea if I can just use my Verizon with travelpass (their 10/day plan, only incur charges if you use it that day) in LTE, or do I need to roam on GSM. Want to keep the same phone number, don't want to use a BTC etc. sim.
I spent about 3 months in the Exumas in 2016/17 and used that $10/day Verizon travel pass plan with no issues. Had good reception in Highbourne Cay and Staniel Cay area. Had spotty reception at Normans Cay, and no reception in the Land and Sea Park areas. Did not need to use a different SIM card or phone number.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exumas, health, survey