Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2015, 06:10   #76

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: Bottom Paint For Caribbean

Maybe fstbttms or someone else can confirm or dispel a rumor I just heard that the US EPA has recently banned one of the most commonly used biocides used in cuprous oxide bottom paints. The conversation came up in comparing the effectiveness of Pettit Trinidad SR. Not really up on this stuff, so maybe someone who is can respond. (Nothing to do with the ban on Sea Hawk tinned paints, afaik).
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 06:51   #77

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I don't know if the EPA has recently banned a biocide, but I do know that the manufacturer of one of the commonly used biocides recently quit production of it. I don't remember which specific biocide it was (Irgarol?).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 07:18   #78
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

The rights to manufacture the anti slime additive, Irgarol, were bought by BASF, who have not re-registered the product for use in anti-fouling paints in this country. It is unknown if they ever will. It was not banned by the EPA.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 09:06   #79

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
The rights to manufacture the anti slime additive, Irgarol, were bought by BASF
Just to clarify. BASF bought Ciba´s chemical business for more than 3 billion million euro; Irgarol 1051 was only one of thousands of products included in that acquisition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
.. who have not re-registered the product for use in anti-fouling paints in this country. It is unknown if they ever will. It was not banned by the EPA.
It is my understanding that BASF could not re-register Irgarol (CAS 28159-98-0) because the EPA did not make a Registration Eligibility, which in turn was not made because the EPA wanted more data for risk assessment that no one submitted. I believe that as a result of EPA decisions there were time-limited and conditional registrations that expired in 2014.

I would not blame BASF for pulling the plug on funding research for Irgarol if they saw that a significant chunk of Irgarol 2051 sales were lost to a competitive "NCN" generic product (same chemistry as in CAS 28159-98-0) without any benefit to the guys who invented the thing and paid for all the tests to get the pesticide registration. I have no proof that loss of sales to generic producers of the same molecule made BASF pull the plug, but I have seen labels of many antifouling paints that used to say "Irgarol" and later said "NCN".

I confess that these days I do not have free access to pesticide registration gurus at work, hence I might have missed something. I will appreciate corrections/additions to the facts stated above.

All this is in addition to the concerns raised in UK and other places, which may have been enough of a reason to let the product die.

I have seen too many situations in which the leading producer of an old chemical pulls the plug on registration just to stop copycats from free-riding on their work once the effect of patent protection and trade secrets goes away. Then they move to a new thing, that may or may not be more effective or safe than the old stuff, but it has patent or trade secret protection.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 09:10   #80
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
It is my understanding that BASF could not re-register Irgarol (CAS 28159-98-0) because the EPA did not make a Registration Eligibility, which in turn was not made because the EPA wanted more data for risk assessment that no one submitted. I believe that as a result of EPA decisions there were time-limited and conditional registrations that expired in 2014.
That all may very well be true. I simply repeated what I learned from my sources, which were the wholesale manager at a large chandlery and a boatyard owner, both of whom had taken meetings with the Petit sales rep about the issue.
Old 31-10-2015, 09:36   #81

OK, so what's the bottom line, if anyone knows, as far as the expectations of the end user go? Is the generic equivalent of Irgarol now being used as a substitute and, if so, is it equally effective? Or is there some other alternative now in use when a boatowner decides to pay extra money, for example, to buy Pettit Trinidad "SR" with the added biocide vs. regular Trinidad? This came to my attention after another boatowner using the same "SR" six months ago claimed poor performance compared to the same SR I applied to my boat two years ago. Anecdotal, to be sure, but there's also an experienced Carib charter cap over on SN with serious complaints about the poor performance of recently done bottom paint jobs on his and other boats in his area. Just wondering if we can all expect lower performance when we purchase bottom paint of any brand in the future.
Old 31-10-2015, 10:12   #82
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I personally have never noticed any difference in performance between Trinidad SR and non-SR Trinidad, old or new version.
Old 31-10-2015, 10:22   #83

My bet is that any slime release pesticide added to a paint loses all effectiveness after a couple of months due to water solubility or chemical degradation. So a SR paint would be useful to a seasonal sailor who hauls every year and slaps on another coat, but of no advantage for a cruiser or warm water sailor who only hauls and paints every 2-3 years.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 31-10-2015, 11:51   #84

Thanks for the comments. Useful to know the added biocide may not be worth the extra money, and that the post-Ignarol mfg. paints don't appear to be inferior. Back to the thread topic, there also seems to be a consensus that Trinidad isn't recommended for the Carib in any event. Fwiw, Trinidad is marketed as a hard epoxy with ablative characteristics. Whatever that means in practice!
Old 31-10-2015, 14:52   #85

Fstbttms would probably disagree from California, but we have not met anyone with good experiences with Trinidad in the Caribe in the past 6 years. It is particularly bad in the Western Caribe. It has the good reputation that never seems to die, though. Maybe it's the paint that bottom cleaners like the most?

I think there are both hard and semi-ablative versions of Trinidad, but I'm too lazy to google it.

Mark

Old 31-10-2015, 15:17   #86

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Is the generic equivalent of Irgarol now being used as a substitute and, if so, is it equally effective?
There is no difference in the effect of generic "NCN" and Irgarol, other than adding a brand name to a generic chemical. Now the registration (same for both) for both is gone because EPA opened a review and asked for tests on certain tings and I understand that BASF did not do them. As far as I know Petit´s "SR" suffix is gone too now that they cannot use the "slime resistance" biocide called NCN (generic) or Irgarol (brand name).
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 17:23   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
There is no difference in the effect of generic "NCN" and Irgarol, other than adding a brand name to a generic chemical. Now the registration (same for both) for both is gone because EPA opened a review and asked for tests on certain tings and I understand that BASF did not do them. As far as I know Petit´s "SR" suffix is gone too now that they cannot use the "slime resistance" biocide called NCN (generic) or Irgarol (brand name).
So if I understand you correctly, none of the paint cos. will be able to offer the add'l biocide since there is only one mfg., and that co. has been unwilling or unable to comply with new requirements imposed by the EPA. But if I understand fstbttms & colemj correctly, it doesn't much matter anyway since this biocide has ltd. impact on performance. It is thus the copper/cuprous oxide formulation in each brand of paint that has the primary & definitely the more lasting effect.

Fair enough?
Old 31-10-2015, 19:56   #88

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Slightly off topic...Does anyone know the effect of storing a boat on the hard for a year or so and what that does to bottom paint?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 20:50   #89
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Slightly off topic...Does anyone know the effect of storing a boat on the hard for a year or so and what that does to bottom paint?
Ablative- OK. Hard paint- not so much.
Old 31-10-2015, 21:25   #90

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Thanx for the reply...I will be doing only a 1/2 season in Mx. Meaning only 4 months in the water. Maybe I'll heavily thin a gallon and store again. Light sand the following year and 10% thinned and 2 coats. No sense building up a heavy coat for 4 months let alone the price of Pettit.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, Caribbean, paint, rib