Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2024, 14:25   #46

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Best cruising East Coast of North America

Then there were the beaches along the Bay.

Yep believe or not, we had some nice beaches back in the 60's when I was a little kid.

Some were sand and some had the crappy marsh mud out in the water a bit which I really didn't want to be in on a day at the beach.

Most of those beaches are under water now, but there is still some beach and sand at and near Smith Beach near the "Sand Hills."

This also gives you an idea where anchoring is good.

Smith Beach is just North of Cape Charles and East of Eastville. The sand hills is a park now with trails. It's now called Savage Neck Dunes.

Sand hills was the local name in the 60's before it became a park.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sava...tQWHJTMWdhU3hC

https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/natural...eserves/savage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sb.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	289119   Click image for larger version

Name:	sb1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	289120  

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2024, 05:42   #47

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Beautiful beaches in New England too. Chappaquiddick Island.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20210904_155100767.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	289128  
Old 22-04-2024, 07:05   #48

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I've been cruising the East Coast of North America for a long time, from Labrador down to Florida, and Mexico to Panama. I've also done the Bahamas and chunks of the Caribbean, but I'm going to leave those tropical destinations out of this post. I've spent a fair bit of time cruising in every coastal state down to Florida, and I've lived in Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, and South Carolina.

IMHO the best cruising ground, particularly under sail, is Southern New England from the Cape Cod Canal to Block Island. Here are my reasons why:
1. Great and reliable wind most of the time
2. Fun destinations of all sorts: deserted beach anchorages, busy New England towns, places with hiking and trails, ports for stocking up and repairs, and almost everything in between. The terrain is interesting with hills, beaches, rocks, islands, sand, marsh, shallows, etc.
3. The water is warm enough for swimming from June through September, and there are many harbors with clean water.
4. Many safe harbors with 360-degree protection suitable for riding out any ordinary gale, plus numerous hurricane holes.
5. No need to use marinas or moorings unless you want to. We anchor out every night.
6. Low on hassles: marine authorities leave you alone mostly, no crime, easy to get supplies, easy to get fuel, easy to get ashore (dinghy docks everywhere).
7. Typically great holding in anchorages, with a few exceptions for very weedy spots.
8. Variable weather that keeps things interesting during the 6-month sailing season.
9. Low incidence of major hurricane destruction, and they move by fast.
10. Interesting other boaters from all over the world to meet.

In my hierarchy Maine would be second: great beauty, tricky and fun navigation, many wonderful towns to visit, but with water too cold for swimming, unreliable wind, lots of fog, and too many lobster traps.

The Chesapeake is right up there too: thousands of interesting destinations, great for supplies, fuel, repairs, lots of other sailors, but it is too hot and humid in the summer, swimming is iffy because of stinging nettles, many anchorages feature iffy holding in stinky ooze, thunderstorms every afternoon, and lack of interesting terrain features.

How about you?
Having cruised the entire East Coast US and much of the Bahamas- I agree with your statements.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2024, 08:31   #49

Boat: custom, steel, 34 ft

I've been to NFL first time in 1958. Pristine waters and very accomodating people. But nowadays I do prefer the Texas coast. By all draw backs - it's much warmer.
k. michael marquardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2024, 08:46   #50
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by k. michael marquardt View Post
I've been to NFL first time in 1958. Pristine waters and very accomodating people. But nowadays I do prefer the Texas coast. By all draw backs - it's much warmer.
If you are up to it, i'd love to see a similar list as to why. Temperature only would not convince me to take my boat there.

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2024, 09:24   #51

Quote:
"I've been to NFL first time in 1958. Pristine waters and very accomodating people. But nowadays I do prefer the Texas coast. By all draw backs - it's much warmer."
What do you mean by "NFL?" North Florida?
Old 22-04-2024, 09:53   #52

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Lots of great opinions.

While we own a home on a harbor in Nova Scotia, we live aboard all summer in Maine. We've never sailed to or visited Newfoundland, though we know two experienced Canadian cruisers who took their steel 31-foot sloop there for a summer and liked it so much that they wintered the boat there and sailed that wonderful Province again the following summer. 'nuf said.

We spend our summers aboard on Mt. Desert Island. Yes, it's foggy at times, though our snug harbor has warmer, shallower waters so the fog tends not to linger past mid-morning (mostly). We swim with thin wetsuits. The availablility of varied hiking on the many mountains of this ancient volcanic island within and outside of Acadia National Park is better than anywhere on the east coast. Summer crowds are not an issue if you stay out of Bar Harbor. Parking can be an issue within this famous park, but there are free buses to take you most anywhere within and outside of the park all summer long, thus, no real need for a car at all.

We agree with Mike O about sailing on the Great Lakes. I lived in Wisconsin for a few years. Great wind, wonderful seashores and no crowds once you get north of Milwaukee. Short season on Superior, but incredible scenery.

But the post was about the east coast, so we'll stick with Maine, with Nova Scotia as a second choice based solely on our long experience with these two cruising grounds.

BTW, Roque Island in Down East Maine will remind you of a Pacific atoll with white sands surrounding a horsehoe harbor with clear blue waters. No houses, nothing but a few visiting boats and your solitude.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2024, 11:23   #53

Boat: custom, steel, 34 ft

No, Sir,
NFL mean Newfoundland, Canada.
But as said, to-day I do prefer Clear Lake Shores, Tx.
regards Michael
k. michael marquardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2024, 11:24   #54

Boat: Adams 45

I've sailed in Maine for 50 years and loved it. But now the lobster pot density is really overwhelming in most areas. It's ok in June, when the pots are mostly offshore, but early July the fishermen redeploy them inshore. What used to be spacious anchorages are sometimes tight now- too many private moorings (usually empty) and lobster pots. It's still spectacularly beautiful, but not generally relaxing. Getting caught in fog is especially problematic with dense lobster pots.

I've spent the last two years cruising Nova Scotia and find it much like Maine was 50 years ago. Beautiful and uncrowded. Lovely anchorages, delightful small towns and the nicest people I've met cruising the east coast. Most of whom tell me I must not have met any Newfoundlanders, because they are the nicest people. Everyone I've met who has cruised Newfoundland has raved, so that's my plan for this summer.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2024, 11:38   #55

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Beautiful beaches in New England too. Chappaquiddick Island.

Rugged beach at Block. Just to the south are several miles of sandy, dog friendly beach. Thumbnail is sideways but is right side up when I click on it.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Blockbeach.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	289134  
Reeve21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2024, 11:40   #56

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
View from one of the old WWII bunkers looking southwest toward Sow and Pigs Reef, Cuttyhunk. Lots of nice trails on the island for walking.

Overlooking the harbor from one of the trails....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cuttyharbor.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	289135  
Reeve21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2024, 13:29   #57

Quote:
We spend our summers aboard on Mt. Desert Island. Yes, it's foggy at times, though our snug harbor has warmer, shallower waters so the fog tends not to linger past mid-morning (mostly). We swim with thin wetsuits. The availablility of varied hiking on the many mountains of this ancient volcanic island within and outside of Acadia National Park is better than anywhere on the east coast. Summer crowds are not an issue if you stay out of Bar Harbor. Parking can be an issue within this famous park, but there are free buses to take you most anywhere within and outside of the park all summer long, thus, no real need for a car at all.
Yep, Maine is gorgeous, and you can hike up actual (low) mountains for spectacular views. Roque Isle is the ultimate destination for a Down East Cruise, and it has the distinction of one of the few places I've ever fallen out of the dinghy for an impromptu bracing swim! Fog comes with the territory, but some summers you are lucky and don't have so much. OTOH one July we did the coast of Maine up to New Brunswick and never saw anything except our boat--the end of which was indistinct in the fog. Here's where the mountains first meet the sea on the East Coast--Camden, from the top of Mt. Battie, in the off season looking toward Mt. Desert.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20171124_142909_1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	289137  
Old 22-04-2024, 23:33   #58

I'm not sure it's coastal cruising but since the Chesapeake has been mentioned freely I will plug the St. John River system, which begins 50nm northeast of Grand Manan or Campobello Island. It's a tidal river running north that has your warmer water for swimming, no lobster fishing, and far less fog than the coastal areas many here that have noted. The Cruising Club of America has organized returning cruises there and William F. Buckley Jr wrote about his journey up it, in Airborne or Atlantic Crossing, I believe. There are days of great sailing, lovely quiet anchorages throughout (with excellent holding) and the opportunity to visit St. Andrews or Grand Manan Island on the way. If you're looking to beat the crowds it's, um, hard to beat.

sail-world has a good online article about it and the CCA's Cruising Guide to Nova Scotia covers it well even though the system is in New Brunswick.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2024, 05:20   #59

The St. John River is spectacular, and it is exciting to transit the Reversing Falls. I can remember one anchorage laying on deck watching two bald eagles circling above our boat. One of the big advantages of cruising Southern New England is there are so many nearby alternatives to explore too: Hudson River, Lake Champlain, Long Island Sound, Maine, St. John River, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, even Bermuda (only 650 miles or so from Newport).
Old 23-04-2024, 05:55   #60

Boat: Cape Dory 31

This is a nice coincidence for us: we're planning to spend a week or two cruising north of the reversing falls in St. John.

Has anyone ever visited Campabello Island?

Cheers - 42 days until we launch in Maine.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, east coast