Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2020, 11:03   #211

Re: Belize Cruising

Hello I am headed to Belize i July, for some diving aboard an 80' motor yacht any advice regarding agents that can help with fuel, provisions, clearing in and out, etc.

thanks
captainmacioce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:52   #212

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Whats the vessel's draft?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:27   #213

5ft 3inches
Old 12-01-2020, 09:30   #214

We are looking to spend three to four weeks diving and snorkeling, we are towing a 30 foot center console as well. I am looking for a marina to base the big boat from and run to dive spots with the center console, Placencia looks good so far but I am still researching. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:21   #215

A few suggestions:

Belize City area: Cucumber Beach Marina, they have dockage, fuel (can arrange fuel truck for big volumes), and officials will come there to clear you in and out (usually some extra fees for that), marina will arrange for officials to come, bar/resturant on site, at 5.3' you wont be far from the botton coming in as their nomimal depth is 6', but you should fit...talk to marina first to confirm current depth (they do dredge periodically).

Placencia. Ive seen fuel trucks meeting larger yachts over in Big Creek (nearby commercial port). Big Creek is also where you clear in/out...usually this is done with out boat ever visiting Big Creek, but check as procedures vary periodically. Most of the Marinas are along the back lagoon, access is a little tricky, but can be done with 5.3'...just barely. Check with Robert's Grove, Laura Beya, Chabli Mar. Many of them are not well set up for larger yachts.

There is a new marina at The Placencia intended to cater to the larger yacht crowd. Ive not been in there nor know its operational status for sure, but sounds like potentially the best fit for you (if they are all up to speed).

https://www.theplacencia.com/placencia-marina

Get a copy of Freya Raucher's guide...its the only comprehensive and accurate guide/nav info for Belize, do not trust ANY eletronic charts.

https://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Mexi.../dp/0975575317
Old 13-02-2020, 20:29   #216

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Anybody have info on a marina in Sapodilla Lagoon in Belize? A cruiser we met said there was a marina there now or maybe it is only a good protected anchorage, no marina. Any ideas where to keep our boat for a month while we fly back to US? Considering reasonably easy travel to Belize City for airport.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 18:47   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Anybody have info on a marina in Sapodilla Lagoon in Belize? A cruiser we met said there was a marina there now or maybe it is only a good protected anchorage, no marina. Any ideas where to keep our boat for a month while we fly back to US? Considering reasonably easy travel to Belize City for airport.
"Sancturary Bay", the abomination of a development which has destroyed an extensive area of environmentally important fringe mangroves in Sapodilla Lagoon has other troubles as well in the form of FTC actions against them.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/sanctuary-belize-f-a-q

Regardless of whether the marina is currently operating or not, my suggestion is dont support a bunch of environmentally irresponsible scum bags.
Old 14-02-2020, 19:57   #218

Thanks, we will avoid paying for anything related to that development.
Old 18-02-2020, 03:45   #219

My 2c on marinas in Belize:

"

Marinas

Regarding marinas in Belize -- don't believe everything you may find in a Internet search. There are many marinas either in the works, rumored, partially operational, or places that call themselves "marinas" or even "Yacht Clubs" but really are not, or are long defunct.

Two well established options for cruisers are Cucumber Beach (Old Belize) near Belize City and Robert's Grove in Placencia. Both are good marinas with bar/restaurant, fuel dock, WiFi (not necessarily at your boat), water, security, and electrical. Neither is particularly conveniently located to anything else, but fortunately they both have decent amenities on-site.

See their web sites for details including dockage and electrical rates (remember some prices may be quoted in BZ$ so don't pass out at first glance).

See http://www.robertsgrove.com/belize-marina

See http://www.oldbelize.com/index.php?section=4

Controlling depth to get into Roberts Grove is about 5.5 feet, although I do know of boats with deeper draft who have, with much planning and assistance gotten in there. You have to come up through the Placencia Lagoon to get there, its not hard really, but I suggest hiring local knowledge to bring you in the first time and laying down some way points. Moorings has waypoints for use by their guests and are likely willing to share.

The mouth of the jetties at Cucumber Beach tends to silt up. They do dredge it from time to time. Be sure and confirm with the marina the current controlling depth (the web site always says 6' – ask.)

A few other marinas are in various stages of development around Placencia.

Laura Beya is a large functioning marina in Placencia, but is used almost exclusively by the Moorings/Sunsail.

The Peninsular Club Marina is opposite Chabli Mar. It is stalled in development, but may be able to accommodate transients.

The Placencia is near the N end of the Placencia peninsular, the marina is a collection of large rocks forming a break water placed on the seaward side of the peninsular with some docks inside. They had grand plans, billing themselves as a mega yacht marina, but development has ground to a halt and the marina is now for sale.

Thunderbird's is mostly small poweboat oriented, but can potentially accommodate a few transient sailing vessels.

In the Placencia area, there are also private docks available for rent, ask at Captain Jacks, around the Harbour place development, and out on Placencia Caye.

Further N, in Sapodilla Lagoon is “Sanctuary Bay” not only is this project an environmental disaster, it is also the subject of one of the largest real estate scam actions ever conducted by the FTC. Even if the marina is operational, please do not support this abomination.

You may run across information regarding a marina in Punta Gorda, but this is a long abandoned project.

There used to be a marina on Moho Caye across from Belize City, but it is defunct.

Caye Chapel is a private island with a small marina, air strip, and golf course. While they have allowed cruisers to tie up there temporarily on occasion, it is not a public marina.

Fort George Hotel Marina. Not well protected and not normally a choice of cruisers, but I have pulled into their docks before to take on charter guests and provision.

A factor to consider when choosing a marina is its proximity to other services and points of interest. Comparing Cucumber Beach and Roberts Grove for example: Both are generally a good choice for a short stop or longer, but Cucumber Beach is very isolated, with nothing nearby, and a long expensive taxi ride into Belize City to provision. I used to live aboard in Roberts Grove and have friends who've lived aboard for many years in Cucumber Beach (I've spent quite a few nights there too). Both are perfectly good choices, though Roberts Grove is nicer and you won't have to go into Belize City to provision. Going into Placencia, from Roberts Grove, to provision is a much shorter and much more scenic trip, and Placencia is only slightly more risky than Disneyland. You can even ride a bike into town (don't even think about that from Cucumber Beach). Placencia is a nice place to hang out too, as is Maya Beach just up the road. Belize City on the other hand is a bit more dicey and I don't recommend hanging out there without some local knowledge. Cabin fever is less of an issue at Roberts grove because of the amenities of the resort, including a nice beach, and relatively easy access to Placencia.
"

- excerpt from Belize & Guatemala Cruising Notes

https://www.amazon.com/Belize-Guatem.../dp/B06XVWQD1Y
Old 18-02-2020, 14:21   #220

Belizesailor,. Thanks so much for all these very informative details! Looks like we will try to get up there ASAP (now in Roatan) and look around for someplace rather than waiting for last minute.

We exchanged emails with Roberts Grove Marina and hope to stay there if rates not too high. Rates for marina not on the website, only for rooms.

Is anchoring out for a month, unattended, a viable option? Lagoon? Need to ask about Moorings also.

You gave me a lot of good tips to follow up on. Thanks again!
Old 18-02-2020, 15:20   #221

De nada, happy to help.

I would not leave a boat anchored unattended in Belize anywhere...it will almost certainly get ransacked.

Roberts Grove is a pleasant place. I used to live aboard there. At the time (15 years ago) the marina rates were reasonable and you had access to all the amenities of the resort. Our resturant tab at month end was often a shock though!
Old 18-02-2020, 16:27   #222

Re moorings. Mooring fields, common in some other venues, do not exist in Belize. There are a few random private moorings, but many are of questionable reliability.

I would not leave a boat unattended for an extended period on a mooring in Belize either. Same reason.
Old 25-02-2020, 19:55   #223

Can anyone recommend a few good charter options?

I've just listed my boat for sale. It hurts to sell her knowing another 40'+ charter will cost me 1/3 what my boat will sell for. But realistically I can only enjoy a boat 1-2 weeks a year now. So charter vacations it is.

Any recommendations? I like performance but family will be aboard so I am thinking stability more important. I'm open to a no-name brand company and going with a solo local outfit.
SEALIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 09:18   #224

There are 3 charter companies now in Belize:

Moorings/Sunsail co-located in Laura Beya marina in Placencia. They offer bareboat charters. Fleet is almost exclusively cats, I think they still have a token monohull or two.

Belize Sailing Vacations. Family run business offering full service (fully crewed, captain, all inclusive) charters only aboard their fleet of cats from 42' to 50'. See their reviews on Trip Advisor.

There are a few one man shows around, but these come and go, are sometimes unreliable, and the quality is often highly variable so I dont recommend this route.

For a budget (back packer grade) sailing trip check out Ragga Muffin tours in Caye Caulker. Really basic: sailing refitted traditional Belizean fishing vessels and camping on islands, but they have been around a long time and most enjoy the experience.

There are also day sail operators in Ambergris Caye, Caye Caulker, and Placencia.
Old 28-02-2020, 20:16   #225

Where are the best diving/snorkeling spots?
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Belize