Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2015, 08:09   #1

Bareboat charter advice needed!!

Hi.

I'm looking at a few options for my next bareboat charter. So far, my wife and I have been chartering in the BVIs only (twice). We are planning a week just before Christmas and are considering the following options:

1) return to BVI
2) Antigua
3) Grenada
4) Abacos

We really liked BVIs but would like to try something different. In terms of flights, with the exception of BVIS we would have direct flights to all destinations from Miami. We almost completely ruled out no.4 as weather wise it is probably the most risky destination and water will be cold-ish relative to the other options.

I like the idea of Grenada and sailing up to Tobago Cays but reading a few forums I got the impression that it might end up being a rough passage as winds can be strong and swells would also make it less comfy.

What we liked about the BVIs was relatively easy sailing, proximity of most places, availability of mooring balls (although I know that most other destinations are far worse) and restaurants. We don't mind going to more laid back, less crowded places so that would not be a deal breaker. In addition, having been to BVIs early Oct/Nov and having seen how crowded some destinations were I know that the week before Christmas can only be worse.
What we would like to have is a relatively relaxing holiday coupled with some good sailing. we're not looking for 8hr/day sailing in tough conditions and that's why I'm hesitant on Grenada. My wife is not a sailor and needs some time at anchor/mooring ball to chill. this is how I can convince her in the future to charter again!! Going south from St Vincent to Grenada would not be an option as getting to St Vincent is a big issue for us flights wise.

Antigua sounds like the intermediate option with the flexibility to make it more interesting by going to Barbuda (weather permitting).

Any thoughts, ideas, feedback from people that have been to these places would be really appreciated as we can't make up our minds and time is running out!!

thank you
Veneziano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, charter