Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2012, 19:42   #76

Re: Bahamas - Do's and Dont's

If you do visit the Berry's beware of these ferocious wild animals that swim up to you and demand head scratches. Scared the piss out of me when I had my back turned and hunting for lobsters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0445.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	46789  
Free2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 21:51   #77

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free2bme View Post
If you do visit the Berry's beware of these ferocious wild animals that swim up to you and demand head scratches. Scared the piss out of me when I had my back turned and hunting for lobsters.
That is so cool ... never seen one yet!!
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 02:39   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Is that (around) Great Harbour Cay?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 04:55   #79

Yes, by Great Harbor.

He hangs around the rocks, which was a short dinghy ride from where we had anchored. The rocks provided us with lobster for our Christmas dinner.

I named him Porky, and he first visited us Christmas Eve. I didn't have a camera with me, of course. We went back the next day for more lobsters, rowing this time, and he swam under the dinghy and popped his head up and played with us for awhile.

We sent his pictures and lat/long to a FL manatee research center who monitors manatees in the Bahamas, and they believe this guy is the 2 yo offspring of one of their known manatees.
Free2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 07:05   #80

Quote:
Yes, by Great Harbor.

He hangs around the rocks, which was a short dinghy ride from where we had anchored. The rocks provided us with lobster for our Christmas dinner.

I named him Porky, and he first visited us Christmas Eve. I didn't have a camera with me, of course. We went back the next day for more lobsters, rowing this time, and he swam under the dinghy and popped his head up and played with us for awhile.

We sent his pictures and lat/long to a FL manatee research center who monitors manatees in the Bahamas, and they believe this guy is the 2 yo offspring of one of their known manatees.
We saw one at the marina also at Great Harbor. We gave him a hose and he drank fresh water from it. It was pretty cool
Dakota450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 10:09   #81

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia
Good memories.... This thread had me searching back through our blog - we posted a couple of good manatee pics from Great Harbour Cay. When we were there, mom, baby, an older female sibling, and a big male were all hanging around. We were told that Dad was trying to cosy up with the young female. She wasn't really into it.

Here is the blog post, for anyone who wants to see the pics or read a bit more about Great Harbour Cay: http://morejoyeverywhere.blogspot.co...to-bimini.html
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 10:30   #82

Boat: Haida 26

Currently building a new boat , but will be heading there in winter 2013. You guy's talked me into it.. ..Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 16:00   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane.Joy View Post
Good memories.... This thread had me searching back through our blog - we posted a couple of good manatee pics from Great Harbour Cay. When we were there, mom, baby, an older female sibling, and a big male were all hanging around. We were told that Dad was trying to cosy up with the young female. She wasn't really into it.

Here is the blog post, for anyone who wants to see the pics or read a bit more about Great Harbour Cay: more JOY everywhere!: Drifting to Bimini
Awesome to see that blog ... thanks ...
Old 23-09-2012, 16:10   #84

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
It might be nice to rent a cottage at SCYC for a few days break during the trip, the package deal with a 13 foot Boston Whaler and full meals is terrific- lobster tail, cracked conch etc. Even made custom boxed lunches.
SCYC?

I would like to hear about this. Is the Whaler "shared"?
Old 23-09-2012, 16:11   #85

We have got some really good tips from you guys as well as some others we have been chatting to. I think we will definitely be starting with the Exumas and working our way up.
It seems winter may not be the best time for us but unfortunately that's what it is!
I believe the weather varies according to 3 regions. The North zone (coldish winters as low as 10*C, more wind and marginally more rain than the other sectors).
Central zone (Warmer average temperature in winter, milder norther winds than in North Zone, temperatures not lower than 21*C). Southern Zone (similar to the Caribbean weather with milder winds than the other two zones, temperature 24 - 28*C).
I guess if one wants to cruise in warmer territory in winter then the idea is not to be in the northern zone too quickly.
The Exumas fall in the Central zone.

Does this sound like I am on the right track?
Old 24-09-2012, 08:30   #86

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

The Exumas are definitely the way to start. The fronts are not usually as strong as in Abaco and it is a lot warmer. The water is cold for swimming and hunting. I always wear a wet suit, although the last two seasons have been exceptional as far as the weather goes. Very pleasant.
Old 24-09-2012, 10:50   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The Exumas are definitely the way to start. The fronts are not usually as strong as in Abaco and it is a lot warmer. The water is cold for swimming and hunting. I always wear a wet suit, although the last two seasons have been exceptional as far as the weather goes. Very pleasant.
Thanks Vasco ... pity about the water temperature ... I had somehow imagined it to be similar to the BVI's. How cold does the water get?
Old 24-09-2012, 11:07   #88

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
Thanks Vasco ... pity about the water temperature ... I had somehow imagined it to be similar to the BVI's. How cold does the water get?
For swimming it's not bad, especially on a sunny day. For snorkeling or spearfishing a wet suit helps. It's not as warm as BVI, don't know the exact temperature. I don't have a high tolerance for cold but all the guys that go spearfishing wear a wet suit.
Old 24-09-2012, 11:18   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
For swimming it's not bad, especially on a sunny day. For snorkeling or spearfishing a wet suit helps. It's not as warm as BVI, don't know the exact temperature. I don't have a high tolerance for cold but all the guys that go spearfishing wear a wet suit.
thanks ... forewarned means better preparation ... better tell the kids to bring some wet suits with them
Old 25-09-2012, 09:57   #90

We found that snorkeling in a skin suit or a 3mm works well, with a 3-5mm for diving everywhere in Bahamas.

... But if your kids are coming from Cape Town, I doubt they'd need a suit at all for snorkeling (if only for sun protection) - most kids here body surf in winter in 12 C water and cold-cold wind with a 3-5 mm, no booties or a helmet for hours!! That's a different standard for temp tolerance than we're used to
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas