Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2010, 19:12   #16

Boat: Sceptre 41
Thank Pierre that is great info.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:16   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Did it solo in a Hunter37 in June '05'... 40days from Beaufort NC to Horta... but then the weather was terrible and my Autopilot failed forcing me to hand steer most of the way...
I agree about the SailCraft Boatyard in Oriental... Alans a great guy and very helpful

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:25   #18

Thanks Boatman. That is great info on both the length of passage and a place to put the boat in the water.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 05-09-2010, 08:24   #19

Boat: 2009 Bénéteau 31
Hello Charlie & Boatman61 in Portugal!

As you get closer to launch time you'll want to take care of the "electricity difference". If you already have a bi-voltage battery charger the only other piece you really need is a 240V water-heater element.

If you need repairs or an inexpensive place to stay around Lisboa, try Tagus Yacht Center in Seixal, talk to Rafaël Venancia. This is a commercial boat yard with a small pleasure area. It was very clean & helpful in 2004, rather interesting in an industrial setting and a good place to leave the boat on the hard for a few months.

Pierre
caboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:40   #20

I have sailed from the US to Europe 3 times.

Rhode Island - England, 14 days, 58' S&S design, racing crew of 12
New York - England, 17 days, 54' Derecktor design, delivery with 5
Bermuda - Spain, 21 days, 48' S&S design, racing crew of 10

I have also sailed the other way from the Azores to Bermuda. It took 17 days on a classic 45’ S&S, cruising with 2 aboard and we used the engine (see below).

Some of the key decisions for your trip:

1) Are you going to stop in Bermuda? I would highly recommend it. See the thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f19/bermuda-destination-or-lost-in-the-triangle-32913.html

2) How far north are you going to sail to get into wind? This is especially true if you decide to go to the Azores. You are scooting around the North Atlantic high which makes for a generally great trip, however as you work south to get to the Azores or Spain or to stay away from the lows that regularly cross the North Atlantic, you can end up with NO WIND. On the race from Bermuda to Spain, it was agonizingly slow at times.

3) When to leave? I would suggest leaving in the second half of June and stopping for a rest in Bermuda (see #1). Then, leave Bermuda around the first of July, although there is plenty of flexibility.

4) Are you going to stop at the Azores? Great islands, great people, well worth the stop. It makes the crossing more difficult in my opinion, because you have to bail out on the wind to get south earlier.

5) Where to go in Spain? So many choices! I can recommend the La Coruna area in the north, but there are many other neat places. Key question is north or south? Better yet, do both and Portugal too .

Have a great trip!
Dragon701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:55   #21

Thanks for all the info Dragon. I am leaning towards leaving in the Middle of May in order to be in Spain by the end of June. I wasn't planning on going to Bermuda b/c I will have to sail south from North Carolina to get there. I am leaning toward a method suggested by Jack Tyler on Whoosh Routes to the Azores It seems that to go on a course that doesn't quite bring you up to 40 N is a good way to go. I also plan on having fuel for about 1000 miles so that should help. I hope to not have to motor much and have a pretty good set of light weather sails.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 05-09-2010, 12:26   #22

Looking briefly at the Whoosh comments, I would highlight the following:

"But mostly, he [Klaus] pays attention to the current Surface Analysis with an eye to two goals: Don’t get trapped in the High and don’t get so far North you’ll be uncomfortable. "

I don't know about the guides, but that is what I mean about deciding how far north to go. As the high naturally varies north/south, if you are willing to wait, you can find generally more favorable conditions for the trip.

Anyway, have a great time!
Dragon701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 13:13   #23

Boat: Young Sun 35, Triall
I was member of a 4 person crew that sailed a Lord Nelson 41 from Fort Lauderdale to Portugal in 2003. We left end of May, 7 days to Bermuda (stayed 6 days), 14 days to the Azores/Horta (stayed 6 days) then 6 days to Lisboa where the skipper left the boat. Great weather to Bermuda and good assist from Gulf Stream. To the Azores, we had several days of calm weather and motored. Portugal leg was stormy but wind was from a favourable direction and we made good time. In all, it was an unforgettable trip and I envy you. Have a safe trip.

Triall
triall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 14:14   #24
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
If you have done an Atlantic Crossing could you tell me how long it took? On what kind of boat? and any other detail that you might think pertinent.
I did Antigua / Azores in June/July. North to close to Bermuda then east to Azores. About 12 days Bermuda to Flores i think. Just had ssb reciever for weather, weatherfax first from Boston then Northwood once further across, enough for forecasting. Couldn't hear Herb very well and most of the boats he was talking to were further north anyway. I came across round about 38deg N, catching a bit of the southerly edge of the lows but keeping out of the worst of it.
Some offshore blogging from the trip here..
Random scribblings from life afloat.: June 2010
Enjoy the trip if you go, Azores are lovely, Spain also.

Edit, had sat phone for gribs as well, but weatherfax on it's own was enough.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 14:35   #25

Triall thanks for the info. I am just trying to get an idea of the time frame I need to alot in order to get across the Atlantic. My boat is also 41' but I don't know how it would perform next to a Lord Nelson 41. I have 36' of waterline which is a lot for a 41' cruising boat.

Conachair thanks for the info that is great. I may have to look into a sat phone for getting grib files. I already have a SSB but a sat phone would be nice as well.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad

Tags
atlantic crossing