Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2021, 08:38   #31

Boat: Hunter 420 Passage
Re: Advice on Exumas Itinerary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlut View Post
Thanks for posting a followup report. Any problems filling out the daily COVID survey?
Well....
We did have wifi on boat most of the time...
Everyone did their daily survey’s. In the end I’d say we had a roughly 70% completion rate for the group overall. Never heard back on the missed days.
doctorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 12:48   #32

Boat: Maine Cat 38'

For all the advice on previous trips on the Exumas, we are headed down for 2 weeks over the holidays and it is so helpful. a week on Staniel and then 8 days sailing. Here's our predicament that could use some advice. We pick up folks in Nassau midday on Dec 29th and we have young people that want to celebrate New Year's Eve in 'civilization' at Staniel Cay. Is that realistic to move fairly quickly down that way with a few short stops and then take our time going back north to stop in the park, etc? We'll be on a 45' cat. Thanks in advance for help!
klap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 13:38   #33

I’d say it’s easily doable, weather permitting. My recommendation would be to reserve a slip at Highborne Cay Marina. Sail there 30nm from Nassau and take a slip and eat at restaurant. Young people aboard will love it. Or alternatively anchor at Highborne.

Next day go out the cut into the sound and sail to Staniel 40nm.

Alternatively you could go from Highborne to Cambridge Cay ~28nm and the next day go 11nm to Staniel.

Will definitely make better time in the sound, conditions permitting.
Old 18-11-2021, 14:01   #34

I just saw your question regarding Staniel Cay on New Year’s. I think that might be a stretch, especially if you’re not leaving Nassau until noon on the 29th. You’d need to cover 30+ miles to make the crossing to Highborne Cay, and the sun goes down at 5:30 that time of year. I made the Crossing in December of last year when the winds are often out of the south east, and it was not fun. Straight motoring into 4’ waves, throttling back to keep the bridge deck from bashing so not making great time. Assuming you made it to a sheltered spot with enough daylight to get down at least one anchor, you’d still have 40 more miles to cover to Staniel. You wouldn’t have much time to stop, and unless seas are flat your crew might be exhausted from the race down there. I'd scale back expectations and let the winter weather down there dictate how far and fast you go. I’ve been hunkered down on a mooring ball in the park for days in 28-33 knot winds and been damn glad I wasn’t caught by the more exposed islands swinging on an anchor.
BrianInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 14:44   #35

Boat: Maine Cat 38'

Thx to both Brian in Boston and Doctor Bill. This is exactly the kind of advice we needed. My husband is a captain and experienced sailor but we don't know these waters and how the current/weather fronts play into things even if they seem reasonable on a map. Appreciate the advice and will be glad to keep taking more from anyone that has it to offer. We've always wanted to sail the Exumas and are excited to get down there this year.
klap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 15:25   #36

I will say Brian in Boston’s advice is good. As I said “weather permitting” and weather plays a big role in Exumas.

Tags
Advice, exumas