Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2022, 00:04   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Marina business practices in Turkey

All of the marinas from Çeşme down to Kaş in Turkey are fully booked now. You might probably get some berths in Finike or some other small marinas in the middle of nowhere. Last year 300 boats were sold (mostly catamarans which occupies double space..) + 700 boats immigrated from Croatia have landed here while there hasn't been any new marina. End result, high prices and marina managements. that became more demanding. Technical capabilities of Turkey is proably the best in the Med but it doesn't come cheap, starts form 30 €/hour goes up to 70 €/hour depending on the work and the yard you want to operate. Most marina also don't allow you to work on yr boat and sleep on board when you are at land. Greece is totally a different proposition with scare service options in most marinas, cheaper (be careful though with 24 % VAT added + electricity in water which is free in most marinas in Turkey and there is no VAT on marina fees) . As a result, if you just want to keep yr boat on land without major works required, Greece can be a better option. The boats that are coming here are mostly the ones requiring refit or complex works. I am not aware of any marina who are forcing the use of their own service companies but some of them are charging extra commissions (up to 20 % of the total bill) if you call a service company outsie the marina premises.

Cheers..
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 00:46   #17
B4A

Boat: 2018 Robertson and Caine, Leopard 40

Thank you everyone. Finally with a brain in that marina answered me in plain English and rectified what was said in the initial email.

- Only 25% advance is required (not 100%)
- The final price will be available 90 days before arrival and it will be adjusted for inflation.

Now it makes more sense.

Looking forward to exploring Turkey.
Old 07-02-2022, 00:57   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elizabethan, E35, 35'

Excellent, I am you are shorted. Turkey is a beautiful country and you will enjoy it.
Old 07-02-2022, 02:12   #19
B4A

Boat: 2018 Robertson and Caine, Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
All of the marinas from Çeşme down to Kaş in Turkey are fully booked now. You might probably get some berths in Finike or some other small marinas in the middle of nowhere. Last year 300 boats were sold (mostly catamarans which occupies double space..) + 700 boats immigrated from Croatia have landed here while there hasn't been any new marina. End result, high prices and marina managements. that became more demanding. Technical capabilities of Turkey is proably the best in the Med but it doesn't come cheap, starts form 30 €/hour goes up to 70 €/hour depending on the work and the yard you want to operate. Most marina also don't allow you to work on yr boat and sleep on board when you are at land. Greece is totally a different proposition with scare service options in most marinas, cheaper (be careful though with 24 % VAT added + electricity in water which is free in most marinas in Turkey and there is no VAT on marina fees) . As a result, if you just want to keep yr boat on land without major works required, Greece can be a better option. The boats that are coming here are mostly the ones requiring refit or complex works. I am not aware of any marina who are forcing the use of their own service companies but some of them are charging extra commissions (up to 20 % of the total bill) if you call a service company outsie the marina premises.

Cheers..

Thanks. Where did you get these numbers from? What is your source.

Until now only 1 out of the 10 marinas I contacted has no vacancy.
Old 07-02-2022, 02:36   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elizabethan, E35, 35'

Excellent, I am glad you are shorted. Turkey is a beautiful country and you will enjoy it.
Old 09-02-2022, 05:51   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4A View Post
Thanks. Where did you get these numbers from? What is your source.

Until now only 1 out of the 10 marinas I contacted has no vacancy.
Well, I am im yacht servicing and charter business for two decades and own 5 boats myself. I am in contact with many marinas around for various reasons. Netsel Marmaris that has around 400 capacitiy and has a waiting list of 230 boats as of today. You may try to call them. If you get any berth/s pls let me know, I have many friends who are desperately looking for a berth.

Cheers
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:02   #22

Boat: GibSea 472

Have you ever tryied Tuniisian marina for a change?. My experience with El Kantaoui marina is fantastic. Cheap, efficien, experts support and tech staff. A lot of quality services for a very good price. Check them!,
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:07   #23

And Tunisia is outside the EEU.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 08:09   #24

On the west coast, marinas are generally full. South coast (Finike, Antalya) are better choice: less rain, more Sun. We réservés and when we arrved there were many empty places.
Jean Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 08:13   #25

Boat: Naval Yachts XPM-78
Send a message via Skype™ to christinekling

We are currently wintering in Finike Marina which is one of the marinas in the Setur Marina chain. They own 10 marinas and they have these various campaigns - and prices differ depending on which marina you choose as your home port. The campaign we chose was for a one-year contract (we don't expect to stay that long, however, with Covid who knows), but even if we only stay for 6 months it's still a very good deal. While under that one year contract, we can stay at any of the other marinas in the chain for 30 days without paying any extra. A connection to 16amp 240V electric in included also. A haul out is also included in your homeport marina, and the lay days are included. Finike is the cheapest marina in the Setur chain, and our 78-foot boat's monthly charge got down around $700/month for the 12 months. Even if we only stay in Finike here for 6 months, we expect to get value from staying in the other marinas once we leave in the spring. They also have a deal where if you refer a new customer, you get a free month and so does the new customer, so if you are thinking of going with Setur, get someone to refer you and you'll get the extra month.

It is absolutely true that Turkey has experienced a British Invasion this year as a result of Brexit. The marina here is chock full of UK boats. They all had been startled to discover that after wintering in Greece all these years, suddenly they were subject to the Schengen rule, and they now can only stay in the EU for 90 days out of every 180 just like us North Americans. All the marinas claim they are full at first, but I think that's usually just part of the haggling process. Persist and they will usually find room.

Turkey is a lovely country, and it is very easy to get residence here. We had our boat built for us here, and we are starting our fifth year. To anyone who is considering cursing this way, I have nothing but encouraging words.
christinekling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 08:16   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4A View Post
I'm contacting several marinas in Turkey asking for a 6 month wintering quote, and some of them are requiring 100% advance payment with the clause that the final price will be different from what quoted, based on the new price they'll have in place in October.

Is this normal?
I've had to pay for 100% of my seasonal slip rental, in advance, at every single marina I've stored my boat in the United States (New England).

My price goes up every year as well.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 08:30   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
+ 700 boats immigrated from Croatia have landed here while there hasn't been any new marina. End result, high prices
Cheers..
Hi,why Turks broker buy almost all used monohull from Croatia.Who buying this used charter boat. i simple don't understand this market. in my life i never sea more turks from this year,no german turks i meen turks from turkia. Before couple year be opposit boat coming from turkey to Croatia.(solid maintace boat)and from Greece (boat for recycling not for charter,simply graveyard )
this year/and before i don't see Australian
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 12:33   #28

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

The Turkish people tend to be friendly, warm, honest, and helpful. I lived there for 13 months and had a thoroughly enjoyable experience. When my alternator died, it was fixed for about 2/3 the price that would have been charged here and it took only two days not counting the afternoon of removal. The country has numerous incredible historical sites well over 2000 years old and many 800-1000 year old castles to visit. If you're bored there, blame yourself.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Turkey