Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2017, 06:10   #16

Re: Best time for Greece - Saronic Gulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perna View Post
Before mid July is best from the wind point of view. After that the Meltemi gets going from the north and it can get quite strong and blow for days on end, although there are protected places down the east coast of the Peloponnese.

Just more relaxing without it, for me anyway.

Absolutely lovely area by the way. Ancient Epidavros, Poros...

Thank you!!!!

Other the weather any recommendations on what to be aware and cool stuff to do ?

Merry Christmas and thank you for the information
soares29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 08:57   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille1 View Post
Perna is right. July, and August, in particular, are likely to be windy, possibly very windy (force 7). If you only have one week then the Saronic might be a risk.

If you really want to sail in July and August then you should go to the Ionian (West Greece).

Happy sailing.
Being Hellenic resident may I should provide some advice. Talking about Saronic, would be the best choice even during summer windy period --usually in Greece mid July end of August-- just for a week because no too much wind in the Gulf with many of choices .... plenty of islands Aegina, Agkistri, Poros, Hydra, Spetses eg . Places like Sounion, Methana, Vthi, Epidavros and so on. So you may have too many places to choose...crowdy or not.
gpstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 09:33   #18

Thank you gpstain. That goes along with I’ve researched. We are supper excited about visiting Greece. Do you have specific recommendations on what to do and what not to do... ?
Old 25-12-2017, 10:10   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by soares29 View Post
Thank you gpstain. That goes along with I’ve researched. We are supper excited about visiting Greece. Do you have specific recommendations on what to do and what not to do... ?
I don't think there is something more to add than all the above mentioned but to highlight couple of thinks. If you don't like to stay out of ports--too many places to choose iot stay at anchor-- being at the entrance of any port around 15:00 (local time) should a must if you like to find place to stay and..if possible try to stay away from places used by ferries.
Greece has thousand of island to visit and there ....try to taste the local dishes could make a difference at your vacation.
gpstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 10:20   #20

Awesome. Thank you!!!
Old 25-12-2017, 10:34   #21

Boat: Deerberg Beryll, Hartley 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by soares29 View Post
I agree Calin... I’m one of those folks that crowd the area... ( I have kids at school that I would like to take with me... ) I’ve heard September is the best. Maybe in the future.... so far I will try to go June/July. Do you have recommendations of what not to miss and what NOT to do ?
I know... Having the kids with you is priceless and it is worth any discomfort. If I were you, I will not plan anything and be Robinson Crusoe - sailing, fishing, swimming, snorkeling. Greece islands are so nice and there are zillions of gulfs where you can stay at anchor if there is no place in the local harbor. Even this is not an issue, in high season you can see 4-5 sailboats tied side by side. Do not be afraid, you cannot go wrong.
calin1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 10:50   #22

I can’t wait... thank you so much!!!
Old 30-12-2017, 06:29   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

I've spent several years sailing in the Saronic Gulf and would recommend June over July and August - the weather is generally settled and plenty warm enough and the crowds have not yet arrived.

Good places to visit include Epidavros Asklepion and theatre, Poros, Hydra (anchor in Mandraki to avoid the inevitable crossed anchor chains and chaos), Aegina etc.

Our favourite restaurants/bars include Posidon, Koilon and Perivoli in Epidavros and Poseidon, The Garden and Apaggio on Poros. There are many mnay more to choose from of course.

There are plenty of bays for peaceful overnight anchoring including Dhokos (north of Hydra) and Russian Bay on Poros, and town quays for easy access to the shore.
Old 30-12-2017, 06:39   #24

Wow!!! Norma. Sounds really fantastic. We are trying to get our vacation days changed to the last week of June to coincide with our teens. Thank you so much for the information!!!!! Happy new 2018 !!!! And fair winds
Old 31-12-2017, 00:27   #25

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

we have sailed parts of the area twice and most of Greece. Agree with most of the above - I would do it in June - the winds are better - EU is still working so not as many boats and the local people are coming out of hibernation and much friendlier and more welcoming as they have not been run over by the hordes -
Sept could be good but a lot of the places begin to shut down and by the end of the summer locals are touristed out and while friendly are just not the same as early in the year -
have fun
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 04:29   #26

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

It's a few years since we were in the Saronic, but at the time I updated all the entries on the World Cruising Wiki at: RIBnet Forums - Powered by vBulletin.

I also posted photos of most of the harbours, so this may be a further useful source of information if you haven't already seen it.

As for Hydra, see the photo below, which was taken in early May. In July and August yachts are often banked three deep on both sides of the harbour! Even in May we had our anchor chain laid across twice in three days so you can imagine the chaos in high season...

GORDON KNIGHT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0195.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	161289  
Old 31-12-2017, 09:49   #27

Makes a lot of sense .

Thank you and happy 2017!!!!!
Old 31-12-2017, 10:13   #28

We chartered in that area in early June 2015. Really nice week of sailing, water was plenty warm and it wasn't stupidly busy.

This video shows our somewhat motley crew on the first day, as we headed for Hydra from Laviron,in a nice stiff breeze, trying to remember how to sail a yacht after 9 months on land. It is not a video on how to sail whilst looking cool and in command of what you are doing. lol

At around 7 mins in, you will see us attempt to moor in Hydra, panic when we were nearly run down by a ferry whilst trying to hold station to rig fenders, and then leave when another yacht took the spot we were going to have (the last remaining place).

We went and anchored in the other bay close by, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

I'm the idiot in the blue and white stripey T shirt who can't work a winch handle (for the record, both were broken) .

Kristoff21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 10:54   #29

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille1 View Post
Perna is right. July, and August, in particular, are likely to be windy, possibly very windy (force 7). If you only have one week then the Saronic might be a risk.

If you really want to sail in July and August then you should go to the Ionian (West Greece).

Happy sailing.
Last year there was some strong winds on the Ionian on some summer days. The Saronic is not substantially more windy than the Ionian.

yes Epidauro, Poros and Hydra are more windy but that is already out of the Gulf:

Last year I sailed mostly on the Aegean (5 months) and when it was too windy there (F7 and over) I looked for shelter on the Saronic and Argolic Gulf and between them, moving around, never got more than F5 when it was blowing sometimes over 30k on most Aegean with sometimes strong winds on the Ionian.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 11:38   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristoff21 View Post
We chartered in that area in early June 2015. Really nice week of sailing, water was plenty warm and it wasn't stupidly busy.

This video shows our somewhat motley crew on the first day, as we headed for Hydra from Laviron,in a nice stiff breeze, trying to remember how to sail a yacht after 9 months on land. It is not a video on how to sail whilst looking cool and in command of what you are doing. lol

At around 7 mins in, you will see us attempt to moor in Hydra, panic when we were nearly run down by a ferry whilst trying to hold station to rig fenders, and then leave when another yacht took the spot we were going to have (the last remaining place).

We went and anchored in the other bay close by, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

I'm the idiot in the blue and white stripey T shirt who can't work a winch handle (for the record, both were broken) .

Thank you Kristoff!!!

Looks like you had an awesome time. Med morning with wind on the beam, in a crowded small marina, it not the most fun. Especially with a monohull and no truster... several recommended what you did. Check the marina but stay in the next bay to avoid the cluster $&@) of crossed lines.

Thank so much and Happy 2018!!!!!

Tags
Greece