Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2019, 21:55   #91
cruiser

Re: Adriatic Squad

That time of the year in late May, you’ll have the whole area to yourselves, no crowds. Enjoy!
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 02:27   #92

Boat: Privilege 435 Catamaran

@yalumba82 an whoever is interested

Nice places are

- Trogir (depends on your starting piont) rACI Marina Trogir is good.

- Primosten about 20nm north of Torgir at mainland coast. Approaching from the southern side should let you find a anchorage or a mooring in the harbor
- Otok (= island) Karprije has a nice bay with mooring buoys. However I when you come with a cat, they ask for 50 % more. I paid last year but would not pay anymore because I am convinced the money collector(s) want to make additional money directly into their own pocket. Last year in a different bay I refuse and we settled at the normal price.

Kornati - you have to pay an entrance fee depending on length of the boat and days. Paying outside - check internet - is normally cheaper. I used the ACI Marina Piskera in this case the fees for the Kornati is included.

Should you go into this marina, the marina restaurant is better than the other one being 100 m north on the otherside with pick up service. I have there 3-4 times last year and the marina restaurant is good.

Should you go north you can visit the Telscica National Park. A good mooring - my place always - is here: 43.910076N 15.1609308E. The restaraunt is good. The owner is a remnant of the 1968 but a nice guy.

When you head out/in the Kornati at 43.8892325,15.2155188,232, it is a very narrow passage. Current could be strong in both direction. Most dangerous are "charter idots" (That's how we call them based on experience. I know you also charter!) who just push into the narrow passage and hope you move to one side... and bang your keel against the ground. Good sailors pass the passage only in one direction and wait until oncoming traffic has passed.

A nice bay with good buoys to moor - free of charge - is here: 43.9134583,15.382114 You don't need to visit the restaurant for mooring. However, if you go you will not be disappointed. And if you very lucky some of the family member start singing. Enjoy the great voices. (Normally the guy at the grill is the master of the restaurant and the master of the voices.

If you want to go further north I can give you some more information.

We plan to sail south, to start our looong sail about the same time; casting off from ACI Marina Simuni (Very good! My home marina since fall 2015) on Pag Island (44.4713889,14.9536487), and current idea is to go into the bay at 43.9134583,15.382114.

I don't refuel in Biograd anymore. Very unfriendly people. Ina fuel station in Zadar is good; I normally use Ina in Rab but this is pretty far north. Actually this one is also good 43.9497772,15.1443857. But watch out the corner of the wall!
p435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 05:13   #93

Boat: Oyster 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalumba82 View Post
A group of us are planning to charter a catamaran out of Split (Trogir) for 2 weeks from 18th May this year. We would love to include both the southern islands (Brac,Hvar and maybe Korcula) and the Kornati islands. Could anyone advise on sailing north from the Trogir area to the Kornati NP - are there good stopover points en route or is it best to do one long passage?
And - given the distances and prevailing wind direction - is this just too ambitious for 14 days?
Would love to know if someone has done this recently and can advise. Any recent information on less busy anchorages would also be welcome! Many thanks.
No shortage of places to stop heading north (or south). Town quay at Rogoznica is nice. Bay at Primostan too. The waterfalls at Skradin are worth the detour. Get to the marina in the afternoon. Set an alarm and get the first waterbus up from the marina to the falls. About 8 o'clock. In that way you'll enjoy the falls with very few other tourists. The coaches arrive about 10am and then it is quite busy.
Sailing on Zebahdy, a 49 foot Oyster: Betina on Otok Murter, then Skradin with the Krka National Park and onto Skradin

You might consider joining the Cruising Association (www.theca.org) in order to have access to Captains Mate where members have written about all the stops

TudorSailor
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 16:56   #94

Thanks for the encouragement, information and good advice, Kenomac, p435 and Tudorsailor! Sounds like some excellent places to seek out on a northward voyage. Will look into joining the Cruising Association.
yalumba82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 17:21   #95

Boat: Privilege 435 Catamaran

[QUOTE=Tudorsailor;2811569... The waterfalls at Skradin are worth the detour. ...
TudorSailor[/QUOTE]

Right! In spring the prices for the ACI Marina Skradin are still reasoable. Im summer time it is a ripp off.
p435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 01:45   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by p435 View Post
Right! In spring the prices for the ACI Marina Skradin are still reasoable. Im summer time it is a ripp off.
The published price at ACI Skradan for my 14.9m yacht is Ł84 is low season and Ł97 1st June to 30th September.

However be aware of the fee for booking in advance

DAILY BERTH ONLINE BOOKING
Daily berths can be reserved by paying in advance
via the ACI Mobile App for smartphones and tablets
or the ACI Online Booking service on the official ACI
website www.aci-marinas.com. The one-off booking
fee is charged from 15 June to 15 September and
amounts to:
Î 30% of the daily berth rate charged by boat length
in ACI marinas Skradin, Palmižana and Korčula
Î 20% of the daily berth rate charged by boat length
in ACI marinas Rovinj, Milna and Vrboska.
The reservation is valid for the day paid for only, and
it expires when the next day’s berth fee is charged.

TudorSailor
Old 28-01-2019, 02:28   #97

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

The last two times i went to the Skradin water falls i anchored across the river , opposite the village of Skradin. No charge. this was 2-3 yrs ago. I just looked up Captain's Mate on the CA (Cruising Association) website. In June 2018 they installed buoys in this area so i have no idea if there is any space left for (free) anchoring. ACI marinas are expensive all over Croatia so unless you have money to burn i rate this as a last resort. Better to save the money and spend it on a nice meal instead.
The queues for the small boats up to the falls can get quite long which is why an earlier post mentioned getting up v early in the morning to beat the rush and before the buses get there. Instead of queuing a nice way to do it is to hire a bike and there is a cycle path through the tress all the way to the falls. Take a swimming costume and towel with you in case you wish to join the fun in the falls.
As a CA member you get all sorts of discounts so i find that the annual membership fee is more than covered by all the discounts. Captain's Mate is a fantastic data base where all the latest info can be found when visiting members make a report on the system. It is only accessible by members.
Old 28-01-2019, 02:59   #98

Just looked at Navily.com. There is a post that says
Since June 2018 there are buoys in front of the marina which are managed by the marina. The price is 400kn. This allows access to marina services. It is no longer allowed to anchor.
Old 31-01-2019, 14:24   #99

Boat: None

Hi there ! I'm looking to explore Croatia for many months .. have chartered before. Does anyone have any info/reviews for Porto Montenegro ? Thinking to base there... thanks for any ideas/pointers
brainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 15:32   #100
cruiser

Porto Montenegro is very nice, very expensive as in many mega yachts, Most of the action and things to see are over in the bay of Kotor. Fuel is cheap and duty free which is why so many large yachts hang out there, plenty of nice stores and first class hotels.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 00:58   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainmaker View Post
Hi there ! I'm looking to explore Croatia for many months .. have chartered before. Does anyone have any info/reviews for Porto Montenegro ? Thinking to base there... thanks for any ideas/pointers
Hard to answer. What does Think to base here mean?

Porto Montenegro is a great place but there are other new marinas opening this year in Montenegro. Kotor is a must to visit. As a base for cruising, Montenegro is too far south. The islands of the Adriatic are further north and you do not want to keep trekking south and then back north
Checking out of Croatia and into Montenegro - and the reverse - must be done and can be laborious at times. So the number of times that you do this should be kept to a minimum

TS
Old 01-02-2019, 03:37   #102

Blazeog (post #6),

I know yr post was sometime ago but i only now read it. I have always been fascinated by the multitude of styles of the lighthouses in Croatia and often wondered about their history. Is yr book or film also in English?
Andrew
"Genial Bee"
Old 19-08-2019, 17:18   #103

My wife and I are experienced coastal cruisers of the channel islands in California. We would like to sail in Croatia on a charter sailboat. We have seen a package by Tour radar that is 8 days sailing from Split to Dubrovnik. It is on a Beneteau Oceanis 45. It costs $1242 per person. Does anyone have an opinion on this company? What time of year is best? We would actually prefer to do a bare boat with a captain. Any recommendations on charter companies?
Greg and Pati
gregorybross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 00:56   #104

I hv very successfully used Candor in Kaštela Marina, near Split. Contact Gabor at info@candor.hu. he has 10-12 boats in the 40-48ft range for bare boat charter. Very good and efficient. Last time i took a Jeanneau 45ds for 3 wks. I wld recommend min of 2 wks so you get time for some of the outer islands like Vis and Lastovo as well as the usual Brac, Solta, Hvar, Korcula.

I stopped to see Gabor for a few beers a couple of wks ago (now hv my own boat in Adriatic).

You will probably be asked for some sort of certification of experience. Also a local Croatian requirement but they rarely ask to see it.

When do you want to go , for how long and how many people? I will be solo as from about 20th sept from Split/Trogir area. Have a Jeanneau 43ds. Send me a PM if interested.

Best of luck
Andrew
"Genial Bee"
Best of luck.
Old 15-10-2019, 10:25   #105

@Kenomac,
This cruising is at the top of my list. Do you know of any boatyards that can pull out and hard stand a large heavy steel boat (170tons) at low cost?
GreenHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adriatic