Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2018, 17:27   #46
cruiser

Re: Adriatic Squad

I’ll be near Venice beginning May 20th for two weeks.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 00:43   #47

I will be at Marina Porto San Rocco near Trieste.
inet-projects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 01:10   #48

Boat: Beneteau Sense 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post
Do you have a link for the Croatia government site which shows mooring buoy sites? I tried to search for it but have so far come up empty.
This is the latest list published on the official site:

http://www.mppi.hr/UserDocsImages/AN...S_may_2014.xls
MartinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 06:51   #49

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Ken, sorry to be missing you. Hv had my boat in Certosa/Venice last 7 mths and have made a recent visit for 3wks but have to return to london tmrw until i am back on the boat 1st wk july. If you still in Adriatic this summer maybe our paths will cross again.
Andrew
"Genial Bee"
Old 14-05-2018, 17:55   #50

Boat: Lagoon 450

Is there a sub-forum somewhere? I have some questions in advance of our July 2018 bareboat tri out of Dubrovnik.
Pilotswife62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 19:05   #51
cruiser

This is it, fire away with the questions.
Old 15-05-2018, 07:32   #52

Boat: Lagoon 450

Thinking of this itinerary, would I regret not going to Lastovo instead of staying elsewhere another night? is there anywhere else I should be going/skipping?

SUN 1-Jul DUBROVNIK ELAPHITES
MON 2-Jul ELAPHITES MLJET
TUE 3-Jul MLJET KORCULA
WED 4-Jul KORCULA HVAR
THU 5-Jul HVAR BRAC
FRI 6-Jul BRAC VIS
SAT 7-Jul VIS VIS
SUN 8-Jul VIS LASTOVO
MON 9-Jul LASTOVO KORCULA
TUE 10-Jul KORCULA MLJET
WED 11-Jul MLJET PELJESAC PENINSULA
THU 12-Jul MLJET ELAPHITES
FRI 13-Jul ELAPHITES DUBROVNIK
Pilotswife62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 07:39   #53

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

Just wanted to say hello to everyone. We are the new owners of a US flagged Lagoon 400 S2 currently located in northern Croatia. Looking forward to our cruising season this summer...we have bareboated here many times and finally have our own boat to explore with.

Our long stay visa is in process and our tentative plan is to sail the islands until September then head to the Venice area prior to hauling out for winter in Hannibal marina in monfalcone.

Look for us on S/V “Zoe”

Dan and Robyn
Dtm67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 08:38   #54

DTM, have you considered Certosa/Venice? You can leave yr boat out of the water or leave it in but the flexibility of the connections is splendid. So many direct flights every day to/from Venice and there is a direct water-bus from the airport which includes a stop at Certosa. Beautiful park-like setting. 10 mins on vaporetto to Piazza San Marco or shopping. I usually take my tender across the canals and up to Via Garibaldi where you can find most shops you ever likely to need, including modestly equipped chandlery. If you are on yr way northwards you could stop at Cervar Porat, a little north of Pula which has really well equipped chandlery, alternatively Porto San Rocco (but i found the marina charges a bit high). If you happen to be a member of the CA you get 10% discount at Certosa/Venice. I have been there for two winters now and hv decided to go back there end of this year. Each time i go to my boat in Certosa i have family and friends saying "can i come too?" even though i am not intending to go out sailing. I think Venice has a bit more magic to it than Monfalcone.
Old 15-05-2018, 08:40   #55

Alternatively, ask Kenomac who has had his boat in the Monfalcone/Nogaro area a few times.
Andrew
Old 15-05-2018, 09:52   #56

Salty,

That’s a great idea. I emailed the marina you mentioned for catamaran haulout and storage pricing.

We drove by marina Hannibal in monfalcone a few weeks back to check things out and it didn’t look like the kind of place you would want to linger in. Not bad per se (you can watch huge cruise ships being built across the way I guess) but certainly not the charms of Venice. And since we were planning on closing out the cruising season in the lagoon its certainly more convenient. And maybe the winter bura doesn’t blow as strong there.

Maybe kenomac will chime in...appreciate the feedback and input from others more experienced then us!
Old 16-05-2018, 02:35   #57

DTM, if you mention my name they might give you the 10% discount even if you are not a member of the Cruising Association (CA). Worth a try. Alternatively just join the CA. I find i get so much in discounts (marinas, chandlery, clothes, etc) that the discounts pay for my CA annual membership fee. They also have various get-togethers (the Adriatic one is in June somewhere in Croatia i think but i have to be in London in June so am not going ) and hold quite a lot of seminars on different subjects in the HQ in London. Coincidentally i met a guy w a nice Sweden Yachts 45 in a CPN navigational seminar at CA HQ early last year and we were discussing what to do for the following winter, where to put the boat. We are now next door to each other in Certosa! The CA App runs a crowd-data section on a few thousand anchorages and marinas, world-wide. Called Captains Mate but is only accessible by members. Very useful. Members visiting each of the places are invited to add a comment so it is the first place to go to when deciding where you go next, facilities, sand-bars, weed if any, tips where to anchor away from a noisy night club, good restaurants, cheap restuarants, places with free mooring (+water & electr) provided you eat at the restaurant, and so the list goes on. More up-to-date than a local Pilot book.

Dont know what boat you have but there will be a weight limit on the crane for haulout in Certosa. It is a crane, not a travel-lift. My boat is about 13 tonnes including water & fuel and is no problem. Also a number of Amel Super Maramu's (53ft/16m) in the marina who have each had a lift-out and i guess they weigh about 18-19 tonnes.

You will probably get a reply from one of the ladies, Sabrina or Alessandra. Both v efficient and speak English, as do the CEO and the boatyard manager. The marina includes a bar, restaurant and hotel so you can stay in the hotel for a few nights when boat is out of the water. Sabrina runs the hotel and doubles up for the marina. If you have a late dinner in central Venice and miss "the last bus" (=vaporetto) the marina comes across with their own boat to pick you up. max 5 minute wait. Very efficient.
Andrew
"Genial Bee"
Old 16-05-2018, 03:34   #58
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtm67 View Post
Salty,

That’s a great idea. I emailed the marina you mentioned for catamaran haulout and storage pricing.

We drove by marina Hannibal in monfalcone a few weeks back to check things out and it didn’t look like the kind of place you would want to linger in. Not bad per se (you can watch huge cruise ships being built across the way I guess) but certainly not the charms of Venice. And since we were planning on closing out the cruising season in the lagoon its certainly more convenient. And maybe the winter bura doesn’t blow as strong there.

Maybe kenomac will chime in...appreciate the feedback and input from others more experienced then us!
We keep our boat in San Giorgio di Nogaro, Italy during the off season November -April, which is 80km east of Venice. There're two marinas in the area which can haul out a catamaran.
Old 16-05-2018, 08:47   #59

Salty,

It’s good that you mention the crane as displacement was the first question they asked me. Now I know why. My Lagoon 400 is around 12 tons (at a guess...light displacement is around 10t) but 7.25m wide so hopefully they can handle the beam. I have my doubts....but waiting on their response.

Also appreciated kenomac’s input. I contacted those marinas as well.

One question for both of you...Is it a good assumption that you fully winterize the boats for freezing temps?

And I’m checking out CA! Have to admit the relatively steep membership cost put me off at first but your feedback has me thinking about jumping both feet in....
Old 16-05-2018, 09:29   #60
cruiser

The low temps during the winter nights hover around freezing, so yes we winterize in Northern Italy.

Tags
adriatic