Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2020, 14:17   #91

Re: FACT vs OPINION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
Fast forward to 1:00 and watch the remaining 00:37

It's SOMEBODY's agenda... but not that of "the media". Maybe one media conglomerate's owner? One that stands to benefit from favourable FCC rulings.

Many of the actual reporters and journalists were p1ssed about having to speak the owner's dictated words.
Old 29-11-2020, 14:36   #92

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Greeting all. I wrote my prior post on Israel Scheffler and Charles Sander Peirce In the hope even one person would look at the Wikipedia pages. I thought I was in the middle of a discussion on logic. I think logic certainly has quite a bit to do with sailing or boatbuilding because the great advantage to a forum is simply that it exists...it’s a place where facts or opinions, can be discussed. The posters can present evidence to support their position. Learning about logic is helpful.
So here is a very bad summary of one of the points Peirce wrote about.
When one states x is x...the first condition of knowledge is truth. X must actually be x. I’ll leave what is true aside for a moment.
The second condition of knowledge is that the person must BELIEVE x is x.
So if we must somehow begin to use a common logic, belief is a very strong condition.
I totally believe in the scientific method. I believe x is indeed x. Therefore it is perfect logic to state that for me...I have the two conditions necessary to state that I “ know “ x.
If x is not x...I do not have the condition of knowledge required.
If I don’t believe x is x...I do not have the condition of knowledge required.
Trump live in a condition of knowledge which fluxes between truly calling x as y and not believing anything. His logic fails even the most simple test and therefore one cannot say he has a condition of knowledge. No truth, no belief, no logic. It’s just time to stop distinctions. Facts are beliefs. Beliefs are facts.
One without the other voids knowledge.
Happy thanksgiving.
Mark and his always happy manatees
Old 29-11-2020, 14:57   #93

The problem is when people treat science like a religion.

People also need to vet their “experts” better
Look at the virus hysteria and the predictions of Dr Ferguson, who has a history of constantly being wrong and a expensive fear monger
Also doctors screw ups are the number 3 cause of death
“Argument from authority” comes to mind

So yeah, science and evidence are VERY important, but so is using your own head and common sense.
Old 29-11-2020, 14:59   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
It’s just time to stop distinctions. Facts are beliefs. Beliefs are facts.
One without the other voids knowledge.

A fact ... is a fact (ie true), regardless of who believes it. Belief is just noting someone's acceptance of a particular "fact" or idea. They are not interchangeable. Though belief is all that's required for the idea to be "truth" to the believer.
Old 29-11-2020, 15:00   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
It's SOMEBODY's agenda... but not that of "the media". Maybe one media conglomerate's owner? One that stands to benefit from favourable FCC rulings.

Many of the actual reporters and journalists were p1ssed about having to speak the owner's dictated words.
Not pissed enough to not go along like a monkey.

I get it, paycheck, dental plan, but man the dark roads some people will go down for braces for little Tommy.
Old 29-11-2020, 15:10   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post
Not pissed enough to not go along like a monkey.

I get it, paycheck, dental plan, but man the dark roads some people will go down for braces for little Tommy.

If everyone had "free" (aka single-payer) healthcare... which might even be extended to dental care... then that would be one less lever that companies have over their employees, right? What butts did you kiss to make your pile?

Anyway, that group-think exercise was Sinclair's boss sucking up to Trump in the hopes of receiving His benediction and blessings from the FCC. Speaking of Mr T, who else finds it hilarous that he's gone sour on Faux News for not being biased enough? Most amusing.
Old 29-11-2020, 15:17   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
If everyone had "free" (aka single-payer) healthcare... which might even be extended to dental care... then that would be one less lever that companies have over their employees, right? What butts did you kiss to make your pile?

Anyway, that group-think exercise was Sinclair's boss sucking up to Trump in the hopes of receiving His benediction and blessings from the FCC. Speaking of Mr T, who else finds it hilarous that he's gone sour on Faux News for not being biased enough? Most amusing.
So if I was forced, under the threat to violence, to buy their kid braces, they would not be dishonorable?

I don’t think honor is a product, it’s part of the material of the person, buying people stuff doesn’t make a dis honest person honest. What you’re referring to is more akin to a whore.

I made my money by being good at my craft, but as anyone who knows me will tell you my honor isn’t for sale. I also pay my own bills and don’t need, or want to force anyone to pay them for me. That’s true when times have been good or when they have been hard, I just chalk it up to having character and honor, sadly not everyone had a father figure that brought them up that way.
Old 29-11-2020, 15:41   #98

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Living in a cave today is very realistic and extremely comfortable,
With all the Mod cons,

The people that live in caves and deep holes in the ground in Coober Pedy in Australia love their homes deep underground,

It is also due to the heat there, 50 Celcius during the day,
Old 29-11-2020, 17:32   #99
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Gentlemen and women. Please read “The Conditions of Knowledge” by Israel Scheffler. A true Harvard man whose writings on logic will no doubt clarify this discussion.
He followed in the footsteps of Charles Sander Peirce and might I suggest this as another source for excellent readings in the field of logic.
Peirce predicted Boolean calculations might be carried out by electrical circuits.
He wrote this in 1886.

Happy trails to you
Captain Mark and “Boston...throw the tea in the sea” manatees
I looked but can't find a link to read it on.
Old 29-11-2020, 18:00   #100
cruiser

Old 29-11-2020, 18:34   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
Ok fine. The current most pervasive narrative being pushed (that I know of) is that the coming COVID vaccines should be trusted and be compulsory.
I have seen no recommendation anywhere that any vaccine be compulsory. The narrative you propose does not exist.

The testing is designed to identify side-effects, which almost all drugs have. Just listen to the disclaimers in drug commercials. I take Tecta for reflux, fully aware of the side effects. My wife is a pharmacist; I am not. I do listen to her for advice. She was really helpful when I prepared my lessons on mal de mar remedies.
Old 29-11-2020, 18:46   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
Fast forward to 1:00 and watch the remaining 00:37
Turn on your CRAAP detector.

https://guides.library.duq.edu/infor...valuation/home

https://youtu.be/GKX7W0-sGhU
Old 29-11-2020, 18:50   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post
“Argument from authority” comes to mind

So yeah, science and evidence are VERY important, but so is using your own head and common sense.
“Argument from authority” is valid when dealing with a real authority.

Quote:
Be very careful not to confuse "deferring to an authority on the issue" with the appeal to authority fallacy. Remember, a fallacy is an error in reasoning. Dismissing the council of legitimate experts and authorities turns good skepticism into denialism. The appeal to authority is a fallacy in argumentation, but deferring to an authority is a reliable heuristic that we all use virtually every day on issues of relatively little importance. There is always a chance that any authority can be wrong, that’s why the critical thinker accepts facts provisionally. It is not at all unreasonable (or an error in reasoning) to accept information as provisionally true by credible authorities. Of course, the reasonableness is moderated by the claim being made (i.e., how extraordinary, how important) and the authority (how credible, how relevant to the claim).
https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/...l-to-Authority
Old 29-11-2020, 19:20   #104
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I have seen no recommendation anywhere that any vaccine be compulsory. The narrative you propose does not exist.

The testing is designed to identify side-effects, which almost all drugs have. Just listen to the disclaimers in drug commercials. I take Tecta for reflux, fully aware of the side effects. My wife is a pharmacist; I am not. I do listen to her for advice. She was really helpful when I prepared my lessons on mal de mar remedies.
This testing won't be able to identify any long term effects. I don't watch tv much but can see what they are preparing us for. I don't think that Tecta would affect your DNA.
Old 29-11-2020, 19:25   #105

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I’m reminded of the old riddle: "Which is heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of gold?"
You know it’s a trick. But we probably felt a little inner tug toward answering “gold”. That feeling is our intuitive (common sense) theory about heft and bulk, learned as a baby, or maybe hardwired, interfering with our intellectual understanding of weight & mass.
Feathers!
A pound of feathers weighs 454 grams.
A pound of gold weighs 373 grams.