Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2023, 19:46   #76

Boat: Roberts 45
Re: "Cheap" LiFePO4 drop-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
[...]

But are you planning to just leave your battery at 100% all the time? My bank normally gets to 100% on 90% of days, but it is cycling all the time with use.

Batteries are consumables on boats, even LFP ones.
Thanks for your first hand experiences! And BTW, you mentioned that you charge the LFPs to 14.1V which is not 100% SOC and hence you should be just fine either way.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2023, 19:50   #77

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerloPaolo View Post
Hello everyone, I want to install batterie lifepo4 in my boat. Has anyone heard of this company? Please give me some advice.
Welcome to the forum, Merlo.

Have you considered opening a new thread for your question?

My answer would be "no", never heard of them, and 500 EUR for 100Ah@12V sounds quite expensive to me.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 03:29   #78

https://acrobat.adobe.com/id/urn:aai...6-f084744305c6
Wandering1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 05:57   #79
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
We have been talking about SOC% for batteries in storage and some have been adamant that storing at 100% soc is fine and makes no difference. Talk about this shortening life span were all repeated hearsay and there was no research showing this so it was deemed BS.

Now I provide the proof that storing at 100% soc has more than double the reduction in lifespan. Hard evidence from actual scientific experiments.

So what do we get? A “oh okay, I was wrong”? No of course not, it’s not important and everyone is right
Well I long posted before you that the storage thing was in fact correct in that 100% does reduce capacity. OH MY GOD IT DOUBLED AND CHANGED 2%! Did YOU say "Well that doesn't seem much at all!" No you doubled down etc. and now expect a.. kissing for posting the same thing.

Personally all I feel this really shows is I was right and people were parroting marketing BS. Who worries about a 2% battery loss in the real boating world?
Old 22-11-2023, 06:02   #80
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
Thanks for your first hand experiences! And BTW, you mentioned that you charge the LFPs to 14.1V which is not 100% SOC and hence you should be just fine either way.
Pretty sure it if you hold the 14.1 long enough it will be 100%. If long enough I bet 13.8 gets to 100%. But if it is only 99% what difference does it make?

I do charge to 14.4 once in a while. I doubt it makes any difference and is just old misplaced acid battery training bouncing around in my head.
Old 22-11-2023, 06:40   #81
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Well I long posted before you that the storage thing was in fact correct in that 100% does reduce capacity. OH MY GOD IT DOUBLED AND CHANGED 2%! Did YOU say "Well that doesn't seem much at all!" No you doubled down etc. and now expect a.. kissing for posting the same thing.

Personally all I feel this really shows is I was right and people were parroting marketing BS. Who worries about a 2% battery loss in the real boating world?
Really? Your memory is letting you down. I have attached your post to refresh your memory… it’s not even from a week ago.

If you could read the PDF, then you would see it is a 4.7% degradation in 6 months so that’s a bit more isn’t it? It's also 2.5% more than when you store them at low soc. For 12 months you’re looking at 9.4% degradation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4660.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	283665  

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 07:02   #82

Yep, some people just choose to ignore that facts they don't like��
Wandering1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 07:36   #83
CLOD

there are facts and there are facts. then there are facts of posting what I said where I already said it was a fact, but which apparently wasn't fact enough that it needed to be refacted

there are there facts that are mostly unimportant, there are facts only used to "prove" someone was right, even if the fact was meaningless

In the end I asked if there was support to the "don't store at 100%", which was really a question of use of keeping a battery at a float of 100%. I never said I didn't believe it, I just wanted the facts. Everyone jumped right in with parroting the internet forum answer of how bad it was. But they didn't know the FACTS till I pressed.

Turns out the facts suggest it isn't much a issue with a delta (a change, a difference) of 2-3% depending on which of the 2 only FACTS that have been posted. If that is an issue to you go ahead and maintain your LFPs at 30% and save the capacity.

I really have a hard time understanding the effort being made to prove me wrong when all I asked for is FACTS and have nothing to prove right or wrong. Now that the facts show it is minor why is it important to some to make it more? Don't answer I know why.
Old 22-11-2023, 10:31   #84

Boat: Camano Troll

By all accounts, your setup and alternator charging is incorrect and will result in reduced performance and shortened life.

The simplest way of adding Lithium batteries to a boat and keeping an AGM or flooded cell starting battery is to have the alternator and shorepower charger hooked up solely to that AGM or flooded cell battery and to charge the lithium house bank with a lithium battery rated DC to DC charger connected from the AGM or flooded cell battery to the lithium bank. This DC to DC charger will provide the proper voltage and charging curve for the lithium batteries.

While what you have done will work, this setup will work better.
Old 22-11-2023, 10:56   #85
CLOD

kind of out of nowhere
Old 22-11-2023, 10:59   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
kind of out of nowhere
Kinda Abbott and Costello esque left field
Old 22-11-2023, 11:22   #87

Boat: X442

Lithium battery threads remain my favourite threads, sit back and enjoy the ride!
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 11:54   #88

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Now I will say this, the same great things could have been written about my last set of FireFly carbon foam acid batteries at this time of use. Those lasted 2.5 years and then died a death that exactly matched partial state of charge problems they were not suppose to have.[/QUOTE]
My Firefly Bank is still going strong. 4.5 years…
Still waiting for a lithium excuse…
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 13:12   #89
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by akopac View Post
My Firefly Bank is still going strong. 4.5 years…
Still waiting for a lithium excuse…
It wasn't that I was lookin g for an excuse to replace I would have been happy if the FF had lived to the hype. I see the website works again, but doesn't look the batteries are available. Of course who would get one of them for $500 instead of a LFP for $250?
Old 22-11-2023, 13:28   #90

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
It wasn't that I was lookin g for an excuse to replace I would have been happy if the FF had lived to the hype. I see the website works again, but doesn't look the batteries are available. Of course who would get one of them for $500 instead of a LFP for $250?

Agreed, price wise the FFs make no sense at this point. Either the combo of pricing and need points you to some form of AGM, FLA, or Gel, or it makes more sense to go LFP.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, lifepo4