Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2023, 18:23   #1

Are used to lithium batteries worth anything?

So I’ve got a set of two 270 ah battle born batteries that I bought last year, and I just saw that Dakota release a new battery with twice the amount of power that fits in the same footprint. I wanted more batteries to start with the could not fit them. I’m kind of drooling over these new ones because it will allow me to run my AC all night.

So my question is are use lithium batteries worth anything, so I can recoup some of my loss?
nuru05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 20:15   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Are used to lithium batteries worth anything?

I assume this is what you are talking about:
https://dakotalithium.com/product/dl...-with-can-bus/
12V 560 AH
SIZE: 26.3"x 7.7"x 9.85" (670×195×250mm). Height is to the top of the terminals. (1995 CI)
WEIGHT: 117 lbs (53Kg)

VS

https://battlebornbatteries.com/prod...e-gc3-battery/
12v 270Ah
Weight 81 lbs
Dimensions 22.83 × 7.09 × 13.15 in (2129 CI)
Amp Hour

Dakota does advertise twice the energy for slightly less volume.
Doesn't have twice the weight though. Makes me dubious about actual capacity.
Not clear if the Dakota has an onboard BMS.
Dakota case is metal which isn't going to last well in a marine environment regardless of what they advertise.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 22:20   #3

Boat: Privilege 435

I also would think twice about the metal case...

I've been experimenting with cheaper battery manufacturers from china, like Redodo and LiTime. Along with my 4 battle born 100ah. Just got a 400ah LiTime to test.

I have the different batteries separated by class T fuses in case one decides to die on me. 2 years in and no issues. My plan was to put victron smartshunts between the different battery brands (they're all in parallel) to keep track of how they are all sharing power with each other.

However, I think I'm abandoning that test in order to move most of the boat from 12v to 24v. I think it would have been a great test for folks that want to keep expanding their battery capacity as new batteries come on the market, but alas, I am running into too many boundaries staying at 12v.
Old 28-09-2023, 23:18   #4

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I assume this is what you are talking about:
https://dakotalithium.com/product/dl...-with-can-bus/
12V 560 AH
SIZE: 26.3"x 7.7"x 9.85" (670×195×250mm). Height is to the top of the terminals. (1995 CI)
WEIGHT: 117 lbs (53Kg)
[...] Makes me dubious about actual capacity. Not clear if the Dakota has an onboard BMS.
You can line up 8 280Ah EVE-cells in a row, 576x174x208mm, 44kg.
And then add a REC BMS and contactor, add an enclosure, and you have a similar battery at half the cost.

Dirk
krid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 04:53   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=nuru05;3827543

So my question is are use lithium batteries worth anything, so I can recoup some of my loss?[/QUOTE]

They do, to someone. I think the thing in this case is the price you want for used Battleborn as compared to new lower cost packaged LFP
Old 29-09-2023, 05:08   #6

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuru05 View Post
So I’ve got a set of two 270 ah battle born batteries that I bought last year, and I just saw that Dakota release a new battery with twice the amount of power that fits in the same footprint. I wanted more batteries to start with the could not fit them. I’m kind of drooling over these new ones because it will allow me to run my AC all night.

So my question is are use lithium batteries worth anything, so I can recoup some of my loss?
Absolutely there is a market, even for lower quality LifePo4 batteries. We have upgraded a few Lithium banks and the owners have had very little trouble selling their inferior batteries on the marketplace. Of course at a reduced price compared to new, but usually only 25-40% discount.

In your case you are selling what is generally considered a high quality drop in Lifepo4, so you should sell them easily. Just be sure to be willing to show people the battery data clearly so they know they are in good condition.
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 10:51   #7

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
I

Dakota does advertise twice the energy for slightly less volume.
Doesn't have twice the weight though. Makes me dubious about actual capacity.
Not clear if the Dakota has an onboard BMS.
Dakota case is metal which isn't going to last well in a marine environment regardless of what they advertise.

Dakota one of the owner is Ryan from the youtube channel Sophie and ryan sailing. So you can be sure that this metal case works if they say so.
By the way victrons mp2 are all metal too now and found in thousands on boats.
if its twice the weight that correspondance to more cells in with higher capacity or simply an absolut full case while a lot air and filling materials in the battleborns. I would be suspicious if its the same weight or 20% more but double weight for double capacity sounds legit.

Sure there is a market for used lithium and in case of a battleborn quality battery for sure. depending on age and capacity tested what price you get but defintily half or more i would expect.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 11:17   #8

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Dakota one of the owner is Ryan from the youtube channel Sophie and ryan sailing. So you can be sure that this metal case works if they say so.
By the way victrons mp2 are all metal too now and found in thousands on boats.
if its twice the weight that correspondance to more cells in with higher capacity or simply an absolut full case while a lot air and filling materials in the battleborns. I would be suspicious if its the same weight or 20% more but double weight for double capacity sounds legit.

Sure there is a market for used lithium and in case of a battleborn quality battery for sure. depending on age and capacity tested what price you get but defintily half or more i would expect.
Just because one of the owners is a sailor and he recommends it doesn't make it a good idea in a marine environment. Certainly he has a vested interest in selling more regardless of their suitability for intended use.

The Dakota has 44% more weight and claims twice the capacity. It may be as advertised. If so, I would wonder why.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 11:40   #9

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Just because one of the owners is a sailor and he recommends it doesn't make it a good idea in a marine environment. Certainly he has a vested interest in selling more regardless of their suitability for intended use.

The Dakota has 44% more weight and claims twice the capacity. It may be as advertised. If so, I would wonder why.
ryan is a tech nerd and 100% pendantic and one of the founders/owners, not only a sailor and if you look at Dakota products all makes sense what they do and see they have a strong focus on marine due to ryan.
lifepo4 derivate with higher energy density, maybe the new plate cells from BYD (i don't know but they could fit from meaurements) and less fill material in the case. Dakota will met the capacity they advertise, i would put them on same level then battleborn.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, lithium