Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Oceania - Australiana
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2023, 19:10   #31

Re: AUS: Heterosexual rape and abuse alleged with Crewbay and Find-a-Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
Other than boredom and entertainment I can see no reason for this post.
Some folks are stupid, some folks are scum, a lot of folks are a mix.....and of course there's a few decent folk out there too. All interacting with differing results.
So?
Seems this forum is pretty quiet on some pretty questionable behavior from what I have seen, why even debate this. Doh...boredom and entertainment, LOL, so sorry, my bad.
Yay, thanks for your contribution and keeping the post alive then....😉
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 19:17   #32

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Just like to point out that this is not a problem solely in Australia, there are members of the Sole family distributed worldwide.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 20:12   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post
Roughly half the population in prison are or would be diagnosed with Antisocial Personality Disorder. Essentially, criminality is part of the diagnosis. Recognizing that is not disservice to those who suffer from other types of mental illness.

Antisocial Personality Disorder is not a legal defense; that does not mean they would be found not guilty by reason of insanity. They know damn well what they are doing. They just disregard the rights, feelings or concerns of their victims.

Rape is the perfect manifestation of their disorder.

These are not people who are unfriendly or don't socialize. In fact, quite the opposite, they are the charming conman or conwoman using people for their own ends, without regard to the victim's well-being. They are "Antisocial" because of their disregard for their fellow human beings, not because they do not interact with other people.
You seem to be confusing anti-personality disorder with narcissistic disorders.

Anti-social disorder people have demonstrably different brain structure in those areas associated with their deficits: little/no empathy, little/no impulse control, little/no remorse. People are objects. No self-esteem radar screen on their bridge. Not fun to be around unless you're looking to get drunk or hold up a bank. A bludgeon predator.

Narcissists have an extra-ordinary abundance of people-reading skills in realms that require empathy coupled with an ever-sharpening capacity for impulse control. They have self-esteem issues coupled with remorse...self-esteem and remorse problems that are transiently ameliorated by finding their next victim (but from an outsider's view they demonstrate positive self-esteem, seemingly have no remorse, and treat people like objects). Fun to be around as they take advantage of you. A super predator.

APD = kid who pulls wings of flies, kills cats as a kid, never owned a dog that lived
Narcissists = kid who grows up to be a lawyer
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 03:10   #34

Boat: X442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Oddly, it can work both ways. I took on crew for a delivery that I was making. She was young. She was marginally attractive. I was married (to an incredibly beautiful woman).
The incredibly beautiful bit surely is redundant since you were married to her? ;-) Assuming of course you are not just referring to her looks.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 05:18   #35
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
You seem to be confusing anti-personality disorder with narcissistic disorders....

APD = kid who pulls wings of flies, kills cats as a kid, never owned a dog that lived
I quoted the DSM-5 characteristics. Your viewpoint is out-of-date. DSM-5 no longer includes narcissism as a personality disorder.

And you are wrong about Antisocial Personality Disorder - yes, the diagnosis superceded the sociopath diagnosis, but it is broader. Read the DSM-5 diagnosis. It includes charming conmen and conwomen who take people's money, not by stealing but voluntarily, by fraud. This is the same kind who may charm someone onto the boat as crew, then rape them or abuse them for their personal satisfaction.

So you don't like lawyers. Many do not. Yes, it takes drive, determination, brains, and self-confidence to become one.

We bring much needed critical-thinking skills to the table, which makes us distasteful to some, especially the con artists, scammers, and obvious frauds of the world whom we question and expose. (That is why we may sometimes violate the "Be Nice" rule - the scammers of the world want "Be Nice" all the time as their cover.)
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 06:17   #36

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post
I quoted the DSM-5 characteristics. Your viewpoint is out-of-date. DSM-5 no longer includes narcissism as a personality disorder.

And you are wrong about Antisocial Personality Disorder - yes, the diagnosis superceded the sociopath diagnosis, but it is broader. Read the DSM-5 diagnosis. It includes charming conmen and conwomen who take people's money, not by stealing but voluntarily, by fraud. This is the same kind who may charm someone onto the boat as crew, then rape them or abuse them for their personal satisfaction.

So you don't like lawyers. Many do not. Yes, it takes drive, determination, brains, and self-confidence to become one.

We bring much needed critical-thinking skills to the table, which makes us distasteful to some, especially the con artists, scammers, and obvious frauds of the world whom we question and expose. (That is why we may sometimes violate the "Be Nice" rule - the scammers of the world want "Be Nice" all the time as their cover.)
=======================================

Me bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Off Topic

this is an attempt to brighten up the screen and my extreme sense of boredom as the weather interferes on my schedule to finish the never ending list of projects before living for the Bahamas.

Also, I have being counseled by the moderator I need to label my postings as intended humor, such as this.

Google source
Lawyer Jokes - The Good, the Bad and the Dirty

SharkLawyer Joke Collection
WARNING: Some of these jokes are in bad taste. Some are indecent. A few are obscene. But we're talking about lawyers...

PARENTS: Some of the jokes on this site may not be suitable for children.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 06:24   #37

Boat: Bristol 27

Lawyers aren't all bad.

A few make pretty good writers.

This is a very good book by Corban Addison, and there's sailing involved and piracy. (RTW Trip)

https://ij.org/client/corban-addison-klug/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	content.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	468.8 KB
ID:	270480  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 03:30   #38

Boat: Trophy 2359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Alan Mighty I am not surprised this happens. A friend of mine became a player on the internet dating sites trying to mend a broken heart after a bad divorce. He said to me forget stranger danger, woman were more than happy to go to his house to party even though they had no idea who he was. Having never dated since the internet it's hard to get my head around the trust some people have from just electronic communication.
I have definitely met some skippers I would not want my daughter to sail with. Their predator vibe they give of in person is way harder to hide. The worst skippers pull out a conquest album and you can't help but feel it's so creepy and surely not all of these women were willing participants.
When you think about it a yacht is the perfect way to commit a sexual crime and then sail to another country and repeat the pattern all over again. New port, new crowd of friends and no one the wiser to your past.

Cheers
Hello my friend. Like you, even as a 60 year old, this is nothing but bloody just wrong. My advice albeit it maybe with an element of ignorance is that NO ONE should take on this venture without a very clear "self reservation" mentality and set up, ensure the skipper knows this and have a regular check in with a friend and if you are from overseas and do not know anyone, I have no doubt that our dead set awesome Aussie Coast guard would be happy to be your little bit of insurance and there will be other options along the same vein for international travel but it is terrible that this needs to happen. Darren
Cruising Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 19:46   #39
Marine Service Provider

I am sure that this happens occasionally, and some girls get raped, which is terrible.

However, be aware this was in The Guardian, which will exaggerate any sexual misconduct claims. Being propositioned is not being raped.

I would tell my daughter to make sure they have a good video chat with the skipper first, ask lots of questions, check references and the boat name, and not do a long passage straight off. That said, go and have a great sail.
aberglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 22:25   #40

Boat: Trophy 2359

Agreed. Some common sense needs to be applied in ALL situations. Sadly innocent people have been incorrectly charged but EQUALLY, many reprehensible people have got away with it. That is my "2 bobs" opinion...(Iam from Australia)
Cruising Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 11:00   #41

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
You seem to be confusing anti-personality disorder with narcissistic disorders.

Anti-social disorder people have demonstrably different brain structure in those areas associated with their deficits: little/no empathy, little/no impulse control, little/no remorse. People are objects. No self-esteem radar screen on their bridge. Not fun to be around unless you're looking to get drunk or hold up a bank. A bludgeon predator.

Narcissists have an extra-ordinary abundance of people-reading skills in realms that require empathy coupled with an ever-sharpening capacity for impulse control. They have self-esteem issues coupled with remorse...self-esteem and remorse problems that are transiently ameliorated by finding their next victim (but from an outsider's view they demonstrate positive self-esteem, seemingly have no remorse, and treat people like objects). Fun to be around as they take advantage of you. A super predator.

Sounds like bunches of politicians the world over
Old 04-08-2023, 11:11   #42

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Thread seems to be wandering off of cruising related topics.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew