Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2022, 11:36   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Dinghy Docks on Average 2022

To anyone around Florida in any area of Florida:

What have you noticed lately regarding overnight dinghy docking or tying or whatever?

Or the same for kayaks?

Getting off the boat is pretty important to me since I am doing it solo, and I haven’t been cruising in Florida in ages because I haven’t had a boat that works in ages. Sometimes I like to go visit people ashore.

What have you noticed lately for patterns?

Have you seen that we are able to do overnight dinghy docking?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 12:22   #2

Boat: KH 49x, Custom
Re: Dinghy Docks on Average 2022

West Palm Beach is awesome. Two long beautiful dinghy docks. Publix about 15 minutes walk.

St augustine, fishing pier next to the inlet, publix 4 blocks away.

We hide the dinghy under the highway bridge, and lock it to the bridge support in ft pierce. Publix 2 blocks away.

See a trend here?

Those are all I know for free docks.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:30   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

The only dinghy dock that I'm aware of is at the St. Augustine City Marina. I think there is a $$ charge involved, but I'm not sure what. They have moorings fields now, and I think you're obliged to use these, for a $$ fee off course.

I believe that Fernandina Municipal Marina has something similar for moored out boats, where I believe you are also obliged to pick up a mooring ball.

I've seen some area small boat launching ramps next to or close to.... a restaurant, where you could ostensible tie up a dingy for dinner ashore or maybe even overnight but can offer no clarity on this.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 12:42   #4

St augustine municipal marina costs $13 a day for the dinghy, last year.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 10-09-2022, 13:11   #5

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Right. That west palm beach dinghy dock is fantastic and what a location. Last time I used it they cleared all the boats out at 10 PM every night. Or maybe at midnight. I forget. But you could not stay overnight.

I’m glad to hear using the dinghy and leaving it overnight it’s still alive and well. It seem to be getting more and more restrictive last I was cruising.

Maybe even better with kayaks? Do people not look at the kayaks as much these days? For a while I was without an outboard engine in South Beach and I used to take the kayak ashore. people seem to care a lot less than they did with a dinghy.

But this is really good to know. There are several times I want to be leaving the boat overnight. Gotta have a social life here and there.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 13:16   #6

I don't know about leaving the dinghy overnight. I didn't mean to imply they allowed overnight dockage. I must not have read the original post in it's entirety. My apologies.

We're usually back aboard before dark.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 10-09-2022, 13:38   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A side issue here: if you want to leave the dinghy overnight, you might get permission from another cruising boat to leave your dinghy at their boat, possibly hoisted. You will make a new friend, too.

Sometimes, a visit to the office to explain the special circumstances could gain you use overnight, might have to pay extra.

Ann
Old 10-09-2022, 14:55   #8

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

If needing to leave the dinghy ashore overnight, I'd be looking for a marina that has either a spot for dinghies or PWCs a find out what they'd charge to keep it there for a night. In many cases it'll be more secure, and depending on the marina it may be pretty cheap too.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 17:16   #9

Yes palm beach has a great dinghy dock. Can even dock the mother ship there just not over nite
Key west has good docking. But at cost $90 a month. Not sure of the daily price. Limit 13 ft
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 17:22   #10

Besides dedicated dinghy docks, I have found that lots of cities have public boat ramps that you can generally leave your dinghy at. Besides the ones listed above:

Daytona Beach: Halifax Harbor Marina has a boat ramp you can leave it at. There are no grocery stores nearby but there is a gas station with some staples.
Titusville: Also a boat ramp or you can pay the marina (which includes a card for showers and laundry). Can walk to the SavALot for groceries
Fort Lauderdale: Southport Raw Bar will let you use their dock, for a fee, or buy lunch. Dinghy up to George English park and Publix is 2 blocks away.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 18:20   #11

You can leave the dinghy overnight at St Augustine municipal marina, for $13 a day. At least that's what I've been led to believe, and why not, since you're paying a price for the service. But otherwise, I don't know where you could leave a dinghy overnight.

My apologies for skimming over the original post.

Cheers.
Paul.

Tags
dinghy, dock