Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Europe
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2021, 11:41   #1

Question about working at marinas in Europe

A question to my friends in Europe!

Hello everybody! I'm a long time lurker here

I live aboard a Cal 9.2 and I work in South America, inside a Marina as a freelancer, with boat detailing, mainly sailboats. I do cleaning, inox polishing, waxing, and starting to do upholstery and other sewing jobs, etc. We make a pretty decent living here, but me and my wife are thinking to sell tjr boat here and move to Europe to face some new challenges and get to know new places and people (i have an european passport, but never been there).

I speak english, spanish, italian and portuguese.

So my question is, do you guys think we can get by doing this kind of jobs in europe? Which places do you think is best for this? More boats? Are people receptive for this kind of professionals?

The places we were thinking initially: Alicante region in Spain, Genova and the Riviera, or the tuscan coast in Italy, or maybe even Sicilia. also tought of the Netherlands. But anyway I'm open to any kind of suggestions!

Thank you so much in advance!
gutochiele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:23   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Question about working at marinas in Europe

Without an EU passport I think you will find this difficult. It would likely not escape Shengen and other laws unless you can negotiate a VISA permitting you to work.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:44   #3

In Spain, English speaking boat help who are reliable and do good work is sought after by many Germans and Brits who don't speak Spanish. Their contacts are handed from yachtie to yachtie. Just try not to be to obvious about and take away the business of the locals. I can't say whether this will be enough to make a living.

The remark about the work permit is very true and the Spanish government is very keen on catching under the table transactions - mostly by the Spaniards themselves. Tax evasion is a national past-time here. You have to decide on your own what level of risk you're willing to take.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:47   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Without an EU passport I think you will find this difficult. It would likely not escape Shengen and other laws unless you can negotiate a VISA permitting you to work.

He said he has a European passport, folks!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I have EU passport!
Old 05-07-2021, 13:00   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
In Spain, English speaking boat help who are reliable and do good work is sought after by many Germans and Brits who don't speak Spanish. Their contacts are handed from yachtie to yachtie. Just try not to be to obvious about and take away the business of the locals. I can't say whether this will be enough to make a living.

The remark about the work permit is very true and the Spanish government is very keen on catching under the table transactions - mostly by the Spaniards themselves. Tax evasion is a national past-time here. You have to decide on your own what level of risk you're willing to take.
Very good information, thanks for that
Old 05-07-2021, 13:07   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Question about working at marinas in Europe

You can get away with it to a large extent on the water (boat at a berth), however if you try it on the hard standing your likely to be pulled up either by the Marinhieros or one of the licenced accredited workers in the B'yard.
In Spain and Portugal for example you will need a Marinhieros Blue Book which is issued by the Port Captain.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You can get away with it to a large extent on the water (boat at a berth), however if you try it on the hard standing your likely to be pulled up either by the Marinhieros or one of the licenced accredited workers in the B'yard.
In Spain and Portugal for example you will need a Marinhieros Blue Book which is issued by the Port Captain.
Good point! Going to research this blue book. Thanks
Old 06-07-2021, 08:56   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Question about working at marinas in Europe

Certainly in Greece the boat brokers are hiring people if thats of interest.

The trouble with waxing and polishing etc is many boatyards will have low skilled workers for this type of activity and they’ll not take kindly to you appearing on the scene.

Remember an Eu passport gets you into the EU country. If you work there ie an income you need to register for tax residency income tax etc. This can be quite involved. It’s all doable but you need to plan ahead etc

By the way does your wife have an EU passport
Old 06-07-2021, 09:02   #10

My wife does have EU passport.

Actually I'm selling the boat here and want to settle somewhere in the EU, so meeting all the legal requirements to stay on one place is expected. Now after all considerations, I'm thinking of maybe starting a small business doing sewing, making biminis and dog house covers and repairs, etc. As here where I work we don't have many people doing "marineros" work, i didnt consider that in europe it does have a lot of people on this market
Old 06-07-2021, 09:06   #11
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutochiele View Post
My wife does have EU passport.

Actually I'm selling the boat here and want to settle somewhere in the EU, so meeting all the legal requirements to stay on one place is expected. Now after all considerations, I'm thinking of maybe starting a small business doing sewing, making biminis and dog house covers and repairs, etc. As here where I work we don't have many people doing "marineros" work, i didnt consider that in europe it does have a lot of people on this market

For example here in lefkas , there are 4 Bimini makers , and several cleaning services etc but the market is expanding ,all the three yacht services companies have 5-15 employees , doing gardinage , cleaning the boat etc. Hours rates here are around €40/50 an hour

My experience is France and Spain are not as well provisioned for that sort of thing.

You sound like your thinking this out
Best of luck.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:07   #12

Palma de Mallorca has the largest number of boats that I know of anywhere. Letting the yacht brokers know of the services you offer will help. They also have a daily local English newspaper called The Daily Bulletin that you could advertise in. If you are reliable and do not overcharge I am sure you will get plenty of work by word of mouth.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:28   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Question about working at marinas in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
For example here in lefkas , there are 4 Bimini makers , and several cleaning services etc but the market is expanding ,all the three yacht services companies have 5-15 employees , doing gardinage , cleaning the boat etc. Hours rates here are around €40/50 an hour

My experience is France and Spain are not as well provisioned for that sort of thing.

Best of luck.
Sounds like Greece is the place.
Here in Portugal a skilled diesel mechanic is around €25/hr.. a couple of years back I was only paying €19/hr for a John Deere mechanic plus petrol money.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 14:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Best of luck.
That is indeed a high hour rate.

Thanks for all the info so far, mates. I feel very confident about it, I think I can make this work somehow.
Old 06-07-2021, 14:35   #15
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutochiele View Post
That is indeed a high hour rate.

Thanks for all the info so far, mates. I feel very confident about it, I think I can make this work somehow.

That’s the charged hourly rate , it’s not what the Greek employees are paid of course

Tags
Europe, marinas, rope, work