Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2022, 23:46   #1

sinapore to sydney

Hello, has anyone done Singapore to Sydney, I plan to leave late MAY, which route is best?
I thinking straight down to Thursday island then push into trades down the east coast while hiding where possible when they are too strong.
Regards
Glenn L
glennL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 00:27   #2

Re: sinapore to sydney

Hi Glenn,
You will be punching all the way down the coast, but you already know that. If your motoring then not so bad inside the reef. I suspect it would be quicker the long way round.
I towed a wharram from TI to Cairns once but he bailed out after about 12hrs as it was so uncomfortable. If time is not a concern then it will be a great trip. Lots of places to see on the way while waiting for wind but you could be waiting for weeks each time.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 00:44   #3

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: sinapore to sydney

Depends entirely on what sort of boat you have and your crew.

By late May, I'd expect the SW monsoon to be reasonably well established in SE Asia. That means that other than a chance of calm around Sinkers, you'd possibly be sailing into SE winds of up to 20 knots from Sinkers through the Maritime Continent (aka Republic of Indonesia).

Once you've reached Thursday Island, you should find shelter from the SE on the N shore of Horn Island, where ABF will likely meet you.

From Thursday down the E coast of Aus, I'd expect in June-July well established and reliable SE winds that might cycle up to 35 knots, all the way to the QLD/NSW border.

Of course, in June you can be lucky some years and get light winds and even calms on the QLD coast. In some years, June in parts of the QLD coast is THE time for light wind sailing.

From the Tweed R south, your guess is as good as mine.

Tags
passage info: to & from, sydney, weather & tidal patterns