Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 09:13   #16

Boat: 1972 47' Chris Craft Commander YF
Re: Information on Mississippi Barrier Islands

Sorry for the late response. Been way for a while. Yes, the Chandeleur Islands are in LA. And, you would need a LA Fishing Licenses, but I think it would be a good investment. The fishing is spectular. Be aware that there has been a lot of damage to this chain of islands from Katrina and other storms. Be safe!
jcchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:17   #17

Boat: 1972 47' Chris Craft Commander YF

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensc View Post
Group 9 did a good job describing the MS sound barrier islands and they are nice in South winds. Personally I prefer the cruising grounds East of Mobile Bay, for their white sand and clearer water. I have been to Horn Is near the Horseshoe and it was very nice.
Steve W
After all the online searching I've done recently about the MS Barrier Islands, I found a copy of Cruising Guide to the Northern Gulf Coast by Claiborne S. Young on my bookshelf. IT IS FANTASTIC. Everything little detail about navigating, ahcorages,exploring, etc is presented well and with good illustrations. Can't believe it's been on my self the whole time. Anyhow, I recommend it to anyone planning to spend time anywhere in the northern gulf. Enjoy!
jcchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 15:38   #18

Bumping this up as we plan to try the barrier islands this summer. Any recent tips, tricks? We would likely trailer the boat to Pass Christian or ocean springs and launch from there.

What is the water like for frolicking? Brown? Thanks!!
Spleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 16:36   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

The whole area from Mobile Bay to Pensacola is a great little cruising ground. The water is brownish, but fine for frolicking...spent a lot of my youth there doing just that.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 11:59   #20

Boat: 1975 O'Day 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleen View Post
Bumping this up as we plan to try the barrier islands this summer. Any recent tips, tricks? We would likely trailer the boat to Pass Christian or ocean springs and launch from there.

What is the water like for frolicking? Brown? Thanks!!
Hi Spleen,

Your profile does not say where you are from on the Gulf Coast, so I'll give you some comparative ideas about the water quality.

While teh beach sand is genearlly sugar white, the MS mainland waters are brownish due to the river sediments being trapped in the Sound--they are generally not quite as brown as the waters in a Louisiana Bayou, Lake Pontchartrain, or Mobile Bay. The water clears up considerably out on the MS barrier Islands, being more like Gulf Shores, AL waters as opposed to Pensacola waters (Pensacola being ideal!)

If you do a Google image search for MS barrier islands you'll find enough photos to give you a pretty good idea of what to expect. Cat Island is the murkiest, and the waters and beaches tend to clear up hopping eastward. Ship Island and Horn Island are the best quality sand and water.

Hope that adds to your planning.
jonnyquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 13:27   #21

Thanks to you both! All I remember is going in the water in Long Beach when I was a kid and then developing a full body rash afterwards! That is why I'm so interested in the water quality...

We mostly stay in Louisiana/Lake Pontchartrain/Slidell area but for this excursion would trailer it likely to Biloxi and launch from there. (23/24 foot dual console motorboat with Yamaha F 250 engine).

Your information is what I wanted to know, thanks! And I agree that Pensacola is great water! We trailer occasionally to different gulf coast spots; the last was Orange Beach area.
Spleen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mississippi