Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2013, 11:59   #16

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Caribbean to South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmek View Post
I have done this trip 3 times. From Antigua, from St Thomas and from Connecticut US. Imagine a large "S" shape. North-east towards Africa, often lots of calms (think Diesel) South towards the Cap Verdes. Cross the Equator as far East as you can manage so as to have a good slant across the S/E trades towards the coast of Brazil. I have stayed around 500 miles off the coast of Brazil down to 30S and 30E as your turning point. From there a slow sagging loop as far south as you need to go to get NW or W winds. Some years you will end up below Tristan other years you will not need to go below 36S. A zigzag course to stay as far north as possible while still looking for favourable winds will see you across the South Atlantic. If you plan to make landfall at Capetown, remember to approach from fairly well south so that the prevailing S/E will romp you home. If you plan to pass the Cape and go on to, say, Durban, be sure to be WELL south (38 to 40 deg) as the combined currents of the Benguella and Agullas make for a very strong stream even in the deep water beyond the Agullas bank. A great trip. Budget for around 80 days non-stop from the Caribbean. The Connecticut trip to Durban took me 92 days.
Well thank you kindly Sir, that is exactly the sort of experience/info I was waiting for. I will have a good look at it. I had budgeted 92 days to Port Elizabeth so I wasn't too far off. Where were your stopoff points and how long did you stop over for?
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 22:52   #17

Boat: L 34

Sorry, that turning point should be 30S and 30W. I have done all my trips non-stop. You could stop off anywhere like Cap Verde, Recife, Salvador or even Rio, but each time you stop you're likely to spend a week there! Isla Trinidade makes an interesting overnight, but the anchorage is DEEP and the breeze recurves to make it a lee shore. If you're cruising that's what it's all about so long as you can fit it all into one season. Leave the Caribbean at the end of Oct then you'll be in the Southern Ocean in Jan, - towards the end of summer. Have a good trip!
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 00:27   #18

Quote:
Sorry, that turning point should be 30S and 30W. I have done all my trips non-stop. You could stop off anywhere like Cap Verde, Recife, Salvador or even Rio, but each time you stop you're likely to spend a week there! Isla Trinidade makes an interesting overnight, but the anchorage is DEEP and the breeze recurves to make it a lee shore. If you're cruising that's what it's all about so long as you can fit it all into one season. Leave the Caribbean at the end of Oct then you'll be in the Southern Ocean in Jan, - towards the end of summer. Have a good trip!
Tks, yes, I was thinking the turn Eastwards towards the Cape would be somewhere between 30S and 34S, maybe head to Rio and then from there a little South before heading East. I agree, the dilemma is how many times to stop over because you're right, the temptation to explore for too long is real.

The plan (haha) is that we will be in the Turks & Caicos in the 2nd half of August and then leave Turks early September. Being in the Hurricane area and season its a serious consideration crossing to Cape Verde and then across again towards Brazil in this period. I sense we would be very exposed with the crossings in this period.

Despite the hard beat South East along the Northern Brazilian coastline what do you good experienced folks think of leaving Turks early September, head South through the Lesser Antilles to Trinidad from Turks.

Then from Trinidad head South East along the Northern coast of Brazil and follow the coastline contour about 400 miles offshore before stopping over in Rio. From there head a bit South before turning East to Cape Town, arriving Cape Town early December and then heading to my hometown Port Elizabeth to spend Christmas with our family? I would be very pleased to receive all of your thoughts on this (plan). Oh, how I hate that word sometimes but let's be honest ... the best flights and sea voyages are the properly planned ones.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions, lets hope our plans don't lead to hell .
Old 23-05-2013, 00:51   #19

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Mate as others have mentioned here it may be good to look at how the old Dutch, English and Portuguese did it back in the day.

Who knows you may be back for the Christmas box before ya know it

Ahh and the tea clippers/windjammers too.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 01:16   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
Mate as others have mentioned here it may be good to look at how the old Dutch, English and Portuguese did it back in the day.

Who knows you may be back for the Christmas box before ya know it

Ahh and the tea clippers/windjammers too.
Old 23-05-2013, 01:37   #21

Boat: L 34

The early warning of tropical storms and hurricanes is excellent in the Caribbean, but still, a dicey time to be sailing in that area. Remember that there is usually no wind before a hurricane, so if you find yourself in the path, you need to have a lot of diesel. You could sail out of the hurricane tracks off the coast of Venezuela, and then down the NE coast of Brazil, but that is a tough sail against strong currents and NE trades. You would need to tack off and on, close in to the beach to try to find counter currents but keep a good watch for fishermen. Not my choice. Why not do the Atlantic crossing route, leaving in late Oct, leave the boat in Recife and fly home for Xmas, then return to the boat in Jan and you're set for a late summer Southern ocean crossing to Africa.
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 02:03   #22

Quote:
The early warning of tropical storms and hurricanes is excellent in the Caribbean, but still, a dicey time to be sailing in that area. Remember that there is usually no wind before a hurricane, so if you find yourself in the path, you need to have a lot of diesel. You could sail out of the hurricane tracks off the coast of Venezuela, and then down the NE coast of Brazil, but that is a tough sail against strong currents and NE trades. You would need to tack off and on, close in to the beach to try to find counter currents but keep a good watch for fishermen. Not my choice. Why not do the Atlantic crossing route, leaving in late Oct, leave the boat in Recife and fly home for Xmas, then return to the boat in Jan and you're set for a late summer Southern ocean crossing to Africa.
Tks for the input. No, we are adventurous and want to sail the South African coastline again so flying is our last option. Like I said, I feel a bit too exposed so far North with the Atlantic crossing. I am also always wary of a lee shore, so not sure I want to be too close to the Brazilian Northern coastline with the NE prevailing. The Beneteau Oceanis 50 points as well as any boat will so I'm not too concerned about that and I don't mind tacking off the highway, in fact I like the idea. Its the discomfort of a long beat that we need to prepare for. I'm wondering how far (or near) off shore to track to minimise the current effect against us for that first section, whilst staying safe.
Old 23-05-2013, 02:30   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i know of 2 boats that have tried,one from st martin and one from recife,both ended up turning back after many days at sea,batteling wind and current,best bet,is as advised,either head for the azores from the carib,or via the west coast of africa from europe.

the easiest route would be via the red sea in november if heading for P.E.,or from australia,leaving in may june.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 02:31   #24
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
The Beneteau Oceanis 50 points as well as any boat will so I'm not too concerned about that and I don't mind tacking off the highway, in fact I like the idea. Its the discomfort of a long beat that we need to prepare for. I'm wondering how far (or near) off shore to track to minimise the current effect against us for that first section, whilst staying safe.
There's a lot of current as well, coming north between Jacare and Isle Salut most I had was 70Nm in one day though that wasn't in close. Had a friend do it Grenada - Salvador, he said no way never again, and he's a rufty tufty been round cape Horn etc. Doesn't sound nice.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 02:40   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i know of 2 boats that have tried,one from st martin and one from recife,both ended up turning back after many days at sea,batteling wind and current,best bet,is as advised,either head for the azores from the carib,or via the west coast of africa from europe.

the easiest route would be via the red sea in november if heading for P.E.,or from australia,leaving in may june.
Tks Atoll, any idea what time of year these two attempts were?

How about a more direct crossing to the Cape Verde from Turks?
Old 23-05-2013, 02:41   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
There's a lot of current as well, coming north between Jacare and Isle Salut most I had was 70Nm in one day though that wasn't in close. Had a friend do it Grenada - Salvador, he said no way never again, and he's a rufty tufty been round cape Horn etc. Doesn't sound nice.
What time of year did you and your friend do the trip?
Old 23-05-2013, 03:31   #27
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
What time of year did you and your friend do the trip?
I did it in October '09, can't remember about my friend southbound. Just flicked through the log, current seemed to average between 1.5kn & 2.5kn setting NW, course somewhere off the continental shelf.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 04:00   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
I did it in October '09, can't remember about my friend southbound. Just flicked through the log, current seemed to average between 1.5kn & 2.5kn setting NW, course somewhere off the continental shelf.
A healthy current Thanks for the info.
Old 23-05-2013, 14:28   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Tks Atoll, any idea what time of year these two attempts were?

How about a more direct crossing to the Cape Verde from Turks?
the attempt from st martin was in may- july,and he(solo) arrived back 60 days later with 20liters of water ,one onion and a bag of rice!,unable to get further east than mid way down the ne coast of brazil in a 35 ft boat that sailed reasonably well to windward,but carrying very little fuel.

the other couple we met in fortaleza brazil,in november on their way to rio,got as far as recife before deciding that downwind sailing was the better option,turned around and we later met them again in panama in april,on their way to the s pac!

turks to cape verdes the best is to ride the gulf stream,and azores high in june-october,jumping off from the cape verdes in nov
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 14:39   #30
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Caribbean to South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
the attempt from st martin was in may- july,and he(solo) arrived back 60 days later with 20liters of water ,one onion and a bag of rice!,unable to get further east than mid way down the ne coast of brazil in a 35 ft boat that sailed reasonably well to windward,but carrying very little fuel.

the other couple we met in fortaleza brazil,in november on their way to rio,got as far as recife before deciding that downwind sailing was the better option,turned around and we later met them again in panama in april,on their way to the s pac!

turks to cape verdes the best is to ride the gulf stream,and azores high in june-october,jumping off from the cape verdes in nov
It could actually be a really nice trip... straight to the Azores... 15-20 days then Madiera... 4 days... followed by Canaries 5-6days.... down to Cape Verde and across... if you were going in June...
Do the Islands..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
While the 'useful idiots' of the West pay to dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Africa, Caribbean