Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2019, 08:06   #1

Boat: TY37, formerly Paceship PY26
West Florida haulout-where?

Any recommendations on where to haul out for the summer? Currently in punta gorda but mobile, and would like to do a little work on it, stay on it for a week putting it away.
26’ sailboat.
Thanks.
Pat_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 08:02   #2

Boat: Islander 32 MK2 #157/Pram 8 Marconi Rig
Re: West Florida haulout-where?

Look up my posts...I just posted last week about point marina Ruskin Fl...

I’m here right now...
Capt JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 08:06   #3

Boat: Islander 32 MK2 #157/Pram 8 Marconi Rig

Here is copy of my post about shell point marina.

Shell Point Marina in Ruskin Fl is letting me live aboard while I’m on the hard/DIY yard status.
Some people move to slippage from hard which I’ve been offered but plan to move on in a few months as I’ll have big/heavy stuff done I can’t do in a slip/swinging in a mooring field.

$1 a foot a day.
$5.50 a foot for haul out/blocking...same fee for splashing...or $11 a foot for haul/blocking/splash...
$35 month sanitation fee
$75 a month liveaboard fee if you stay on your boat (very few do, most use contractors to do work)
If you provide your own bottom paint there is a $75 gallon tariff which encourages you to buy your paint from them. Prolly not much more to simply let them prep/paint your boat?

Forks for racked boats/bigger charter boats being spotted onto trailers. Another launch/ramp for reasonable sized trailers as well as travel lift w/16’ beam max load, they’ve pulled 60’ stink pots and currently there’s a 55 SeaRey across from me. Seen them splash Beneteau 51’ Oceania and biggest cat was a Gemini 32 which I believe is biggest cat they can haul w/travel lift/certainly as travel lifts splash basin is 18’

GatedMarina with for hire maintenance yard & offers DIY yard as well as rack storage (most of their business with maintance of said racked boats) as well as some slips w/some liveaboards (20?)

Facilities
Trailer w1 shower, two other 1/2 baths as well, it’s a racked boat power boaters marina essentially so lots of oowerboaters coming and going, with some dockage and slips, has a pavilion with tables/grills & decent sunset view of obscured St Pete across Tampa Bay.

Middle of nowhere as far as Tampa area (its 4 miles to US Hwy 41 where town begins) no laundry on site and small marina/yard no bar/restaurant on site.
Very very challenging channel to get in here (why it’s not a sailors yard and the few sailboats here at docks don’t leave) at 5’4 draft and 1.3 high tide I was bumping muddy/sandy ground more than a few times coming in.
They’ll refer to you people who can pilot/assist you if you’d like, these people heeled a 8’ draft blue point yacht in here, it’s still here so this is a fact.

I have power, can work on boat 8am till 7pm daily.
They’re letting me park my Harley and car at my boat, use my charcoal grill at boat as well.

If you want bare bones smaller yard w/personable atmosphere issues addressed on per issue basis not a one size fits all rule book in sleepy quite place outta the way this is it!!!
Capt JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 14:51   #4

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

Thanks for telling me, now please don't tell anyone else.
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 05:40   #5

Boat: TY37, formerly Paceship PY26

Thanks JJ. I called, and the diy yard is alll they have for sailboat dry storage. I have some stuff to do, but need to leave the boat for a few months also. $1/ft/Day adds up too much, then.
My only find so far is Safe Cove, Charleston Hbr., nice but spendy, and someone near Tampa who wants to put her in a high and dry, which I’m not comfortable with yet.
Pat_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, marina & port info