Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2023, 18:54   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Yet another disaster at sea

https://www.foxweather.com/earth-spa...er-florida.amp

Looks like we have another one. Electronics shorted out so they couldn’t make it back 100 miles to shore.

Get those martinis out and wait for the helicopter. Lol
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 20:21   #2

Boat: Sabre 34II
Re: Yet another disaster at sea

Intact jib and rigging, hove-to - I would have guessed they had stopped for a lunch break.

Has too much reliance on electronics taken away people’s sailing skills?

A small boat sailor without any electronics would have made it back to Florida.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 00:31   #3

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

I am glad the dog is fine.
Nice flip-flops
Those waves look brutal.
Can't wait for my insurance reneval...

I think the owner looks like the guy at 1:24

https://www.google.com/search?q=jimm...WSHsYvi3g,st:0
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 03:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
https://www.foxweather.com/earth-spa...er-florida.amp

Looks like we have another one. Electronics shorted out so they couldn’t make it back 100 miles to shore.
Get those martinis out and wait for the helicopter. Lol
These lyrics by Greg Brown come to mind:

It's a drifting time, people are fascinated by screens
No idea what's on the other side
We stare at doom like an uptight groom
And live our lives like a drunken bride

https://youtu.be/imr-ilrQMzE?si=CElTL5NsZiW3Ytwk
Old 20-11-2023, 04:29   #5

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

And why not sail it back? Just head west and they would eventually hit land…. Compass does not need electronics. And assume the wave washed out the engine as well? Too many questions and not enough information.
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 04:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
And why not sail it back? Just head west and they would eventually hit land…. Compass does not need electronics. And assume the wave washed out the engine as well? Too many questions and not enough information.
Right? Even with no compass. It’s Florida. The sun and the moon are pretty good approximations of east and west there.

I think it was Kettlewell who made up that little term about mixing up the drinks and waiting for rescue. This definitely seems like one of those
Old 20-11-2023, 04:41   #7

"The Coast Guard rescued two people and their dog from a boat taking on water, 90 miles off the Florida Coast."

Smashed porthole. Water coming in. VHF kept working long enough to send a DSC.

Sounds like a bit more going on than just a chartplotter not working....
barcoMeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 05:22   #8

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcoMeCasa View Post
"The Coast Guard rescued two people and their dog from a boat taking on water, 90 miles off the Florida Coast."

Yes.... need more information as last I looked my portholes including the hull windows are above the water line.
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 05:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcoMeCasa View Post

I’m guessing bad battery/electrics location in the bilge.
Old 20-11-2023, 05:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
Well Magellan, for one thing.......

"A couple's sailboat was 90 miles off Hernando Beach, Florida, in the Gulf of Mexico........"

Technically, you're correct, they could try crossing the Gulf of Mexico and try their luck in Texas or Mexico. East may have been easier. with it blowing 25+ out of the east for the last 5 days, that might not be as easily done as typed.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 06:36   #11

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Agreed more information is obviously needed, yet we have the same sorts of unsubstantiated conclusions (and ridicule) that were likely incorrectly drawn just recently from a different rescue thread! Such conclusions MAY turn out to be justified to some degree here, but nobody knows all the circumstances which led these sailors calling for a rescue. A little respect and civility for others' misfortunes wouldn't hurt for a change. Or is it just a matter of making ourselves feel better that WE would never be in such a situation??

Lessons wanting to be learned are one thing, but this is quite another. Maybe we'll learn more if the couple agrees to be interviewed. Happy to read that sailors & dog are okay. Kudos to the USCG once again!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 06:41   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Agreed more information is obviously needed, yet we have the same sorts of unsubstantiated conclusions (and ridicule) that were likely incorrectly drawn just recently from a different rescue thread! Such conclusions MAY turn out to be justified to some degree here, but nobody knows all the circumstances which led these sailors calling for a rescue. A little respect and civility for others' misfortunes wouldn't hurt for a change. Or is it just a matter of making ourselves feel better that WE would never be in such a situation??

Lessons wanting to be learned are one thing, but this is quite another. Maybe we'll learn more if the couple agrees to be interviewed. Happy to read that sailors & dog are okay. Kudos to the USCG once again!

I mean, I agree with you. It’s just a perspective thing. In the last couple of months there have been countless boats washed up or abandoned near coastal. What’s going on? Most of these situations have not been dire or emergency either. They have just been simple mistakes.

Usually it’s just a couple a year.

If we continue to see such bad behavior by our community, relying on government services constantly, we are going to start to come under a microscope. And none of us want that
Old 20-11-2023, 06:58   #13

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I mean, I agree with you. It’s just a perspective thing. In the last couple of months there have been countless boats washed up or abandoned near coastal. What’s going on? Most of these situations have not been dire or emergency either. They have just been simple mistakes.

Usually it’s just a couple a year.

If we continue to see such bad behavior by our community, relying on government services constantly, we are going to start to come under a microscope. And none of us want that
No question there are a lot more newbies taking to boats and the lifestyle since the pandemic, along with the profusion of youTube channels. No question there are minimal if any requirements for education & training, at least in the U.S. No question there is any substitute for experience, esp. on the water. And this is likely a significant factor in the increase in insurance rates we've all see the past couple of years.

So it wouldn't surprise me if we're seeing an increase in these sorts of incidents, but is there statistical evidence in support? Do we know if this couple, the solo guy in the Hunter rescued 270 miles offshore, or the two sailboats on the beach in Hatteras were skippered or crewed by such newbies?

You raise important questions, but is there really an uptick this year, or do we just have better ways of reporting it? This is, after all, the most difficult time of year for heading south from the US e. coast and also the time when there are the largest number of boats attempting it. I don't think it helps answer any of these important questions by making assumptions and drawing conclusions about each of these incidents based on imperfect information.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 08:07   #14

I had a lightning strike wipe out my electronics in white out conditions. My compass got me back to the inlet, still in white out conditions. I sailed in under greatly reduced canvass.

People who can't find land without all the modern toys are not people I want to go to sea with.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 08:51   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
People who can't find land without all the modern toys are not people I want to go to sea with.
Though in this case sounds very much like it's people who were taking on water well offshore but managed to get a DSC mayday out before the electrics died.
barcoMeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote