Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2019, 12:00   #1

Boat: 1974 Pearson 26
Intrusion while cruising

Wondering how common are intrusions / violence against sailing community? Any specific regions worse than others?
Thx
Rol1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:03   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Intrusion while cruising

All depends on where you are. Cruising is no different than life in general. Some areas are more prone to crime and violence. Some are less.
Old 09-02-2019, 16:16   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
All depends on where you are. Cruising is no different than life in general. Some areas are more prone to crime and violence. Some are less.
I guess thats my question....where would be considered some of the more prone areas? It's not as though you can run and you are quite vulnerable....I just never really considered that before. Thanks again for any input.
Old 09-02-2019, 16:46   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

It’s very rare, worry about something real!
Old 09-02-2019, 17:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It’s very rare, worry about something real!
I agree. Petty theft happens. Just use common sense. Real serious incidents are vanishingly rare.

One of the problems is that when one DOES occur it get transmitted over and over on the coconut telegraph in slightly different and distorted variations over long periods of time. Naive people think each report is new and unique event, but it is just the echo chamber effect.

Just watch this forum. You'll see the same thing with catamaran capsizes, and keel failures. They keep getting dragged up and re-reported as new events even YEARS after the fact.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 17:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rol1964 View Post
I guess thats my question....where would be considered some of the more prone areas? It's not as though you can run and you are quite vulnerable....I just never really considered that before. Thanks again for any input.
Like Don said, it’s very rare. And he speaks as one who just dealt with an attempted robbery. Most crime cruisers experience is of the theft variety. Property crime. Violence is rare.

The ‘go-to’ site to keep track of crime events and problem areas is Noonsite: https://www.noonsite.com. This provides a fairly accurate picture of criminal activity in the cruising world.

There are some obvious hot spots where violence and actual piracy happens. These are few, so the answer is simple: Don’t Go There. Otherwise, you’re issues will mostly be property crime.

This doesn’t mean violence doesn’t happen — of course it does. And some areas and some countries are safer than others. But this is no different on land vs at sea.

Of all the things to be concerned about in a cruising life, this one ranks pretty low.
Old 09-02-2019, 19:26   #7

I appreciate the responses. Thanks for taking the time to chime in.
Old 09-02-2019, 19:43   #8
cruiser

If you’re worried, hire this young lady as crew... she doesn’t eat much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1AA12F46-1F0F-45AE-9102-F1C7E870F01B.jpeg
Views:	227
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	185590  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 20:02   #9

Not worried. But a newb who is quite ignorant in this domain. Just trying to figure some things out. Yeah she’s hired!
Old 09-02-2019, 21:02   #10

Never been boarded, and only had an old dive mask stolen from the dinghy on the beach.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 22:01   #11

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Just Avoid the east coast of North Africa,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 22:54   #12

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Just Avoid the east coast of North Africa,
As noted previously: "...it gets transmitted over and over on the coconut telegraph in slightly different and distorted variations over long periods of time. Naive people think each report is new and unique event, but it is just the echo chamber effect."

I think current reports suggest the security & safety situation in the Red Sea/east African is substantially improved, though the lower half of west Africa...
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:47   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rol.
Not very, and yes.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:18   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rol1964 View Post
Not worried. But a newb who is quite ignorant in this domain. Just trying to figure some things out. Yeah she’s hired!
As a fellow Canadian, I hope to see you out here someday soon. I passed through Montreal two seasons ago on my way to Newfoundland. You’ve got some challenging waters to learn in, what with the strong currents and heavy traffic.

But it’s well worth it .
Old 10-02-2019, 10:28   #15

Boat: Catalina 470

In the last 10 years I've been boarded 3 times, once in the Philippines, twice in the Seychelles. The first two times they came into the boat while we slept and stole my phone and money, we didn't hear a thing. The third time my girlfriend heard him, I got up with a spot light and found a deadlock guy on my foredeck at 2am in the morning, this ended in a fist fight.

Since then I have put neat ss bars in the hatches and companion way entrance, also leave the cockpit lights on.

These are my thoughts on intruders, it's rare! In fact many will cruise and never have a problem BUT I believe it's sensible to give as little opportunity as possible. I now leave nothing on deck, we lock ourselves in each night (the security bars look very neat and do not restrict air flow), dinghy up every night and as mentioned leave the cockpit light on. I make sure I give the least opportunity as possible, well at least less opportunity than the boat next to me

Also the cruising grapevine will let you know of problem areas, sometimes exaggerated but still worth listening.

I think of it this way, at home we lock the car and the house up, why wouldn't I do that on the boat? , I sleep well knowing it's impossible for someone to come into my boat while I sleep.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising