Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2021, 12:30   #151

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: For all promoting flare guns for self defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailortobe View Post
9mm works much better.
Or “a shot gun”
Both of these are against the law in Mexico or ? Caribbean.
I’m surprised why no one considers a SPEAR GUN which is a natural thing to have on a boat.[/QUOTE]

And not legal in a surprising number of countries.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:35   #152
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: For all promoting flare guns for self defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailortobe View Post
9mm works much better.
Paul L
I’m surprised why no one considers a SPEAR GUN which is a natural thing to have on a boat.[/QUOTE]

https://youtu.be/r0yXV-zewTI

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"I am not less life-loving than you are.
But I cannot sell my birthright, nor am I prepared to sell the birthright of the people to be free." Nelson Mandela.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:48   #153

Everything is illegal everywhere, it seems.

Bottom line? Carry something legal, or carry something illegal. Your pick. If it’s the latter, hide it well when not in use. If you have to use it, use it well...chum the waters and get out of dodge, then deep six the weapon.
Old 02-07-2021, 13:00   #154

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

I had an all metal East German flare gun with an insert for a 410 gauge shotgun shell.

I also had 12 gauge insert but using a 12 gauge shell in a hand flare gun would no doubt break a wrist.

Without the insert inserted in the flare gun I did not consider it a workable firearm. This is a technical supposition which probably would not have been supported by local officials.

Spent 2 years in Bahamas and Caribbean never felt a firearm was necessary because we never felt threatened.
Old 02-07-2021, 13:16   #155

Boat: Passport 42

In February, 2015 we had a thief in the night steal our dinghy motor while anchored in Guaymas Mexico getting ready to haul out. My wife heard the rowboat paddles dipping in the water and she ran on deck to see him rowing away. I came on deck with the flare gun and fired four flares at the retreating thief. Then I popped a rocket flare into the sky that lit up the scene. Seeing the flares, some fishermen in pangas ashore came out to the boat. One panga went after the guy, and returned a few minutes later with the thief's rowboat in tow. The guy had made it to shore and ran away into town with our 6 hp Tohatsu.

More details are on our sailing blog. Google "Tohatsu No More Traveler at Sea"

My feelings are that petty thieves can be scared off with a flare gun. They don't know what's being fired in their direction and would assume that popping noise is a real pistol.
Old 02-07-2021, 13:25   #156
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
But, at least in Canada, you are not justified in using a gun to protect your property and the threat to you needs to be a lethal threat before you can use lethal force to defend yourself.
That is the same in many places incl. Netherlands. Legal gun owners are not even supposed to use their guns for self defense… it’s for sporting use only. What I described earlier is what happens when you use them anyway and it sounds like it works the same as in Canada.

Old 02-07-2021, 14:11   #157

A shotgun seems like the best solution for a boat if you are willing to deal with bringing it to different countries. Canada seems to have a huge issue with handguns. Its a red flag. Decent shotguns are available for sub $200. If the customs folks take it and don't return it, oh well, order another one. Birdshot is effective at close range. Slugs can be effective at a distance.

No one has mentioned flamethrowers.

If you were an attacker and someone came at you with a flamethrower, how long would you stick around? It would be very impressive at night! Apparently they are legal in Canada and the US. I don't know about Mexico?

Are paintball guns legal overseas?
Old 02-07-2021, 14:30   #158

I have a high power hunting sling shot with 0.5 inch steel balls. At close range that thing will cause some damage and I may be wrong, but I think it may be legal almost everywhere.
Old 02-07-2021, 14:34   #159

Boat: Cooper Prowler 10M /35'

"Say hello to my little friend" adds humour to the mix.
Old 02-07-2021, 14:48   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyjon View Post
I have a high power hunting sling shot with 0.5 inch steel balls. At close range that thing will cause some damage and I may be wrong, but I think it may be legal almost everywhere.

I used to shoot a high power slingshot a lot when I was younger. Used to hunt rabbits with one. The rabbits did really well. Its really tough to be accurate with a slingshot. Under pressure .. forget about it!

A bow or crossbow is much more accurate but more bulky..
Old 02-07-2021, 16:09   #161
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: For all promoting flare guns for self defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9111 View Post

If you were an attacker and someone came at you with a flamethrower, how long would you stick around? It would be very impressive at night! Apparently they are legal in Canada and the US. I don't know about Mexico?

Are paintball guns legal overseas?
I believe flamethrowers may be illegal in a lot of places but.. there's no law against you getting proficient at this..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	241515  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"I am not less life-loving than you are.
But I cannot sell my birthright, nor am I prepared to sell the birthright of the people to be free." Nelson Mandela.
Old 02-07-2021, 16:10   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Peanut butter, toss loads of peanut butter.

Then jelly.

Then bread.

You will have the intruder sandwiched in no time.

Or just use bear spray and followed by a fishing gaff hook.
With no firearm designed for deadly force, and a safe backstop, this is likely your best option.

Extra points for carrying a jar of hungry fire ants🙂
Old 02-07-2021, 16:49   #163

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyjon View Post

Sling shots are illegal in some states of Australia (but not all).
Old 02-07-2021, 17:42   #164

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineguy View Post
I grabbed the flare gun, waved it in the air towards them and 3 of them took off. The fourth came at us, stopped and yelled 'you pussy!' I fired a warning shot over his head and he took off. I immediately called the police and filed a full report.

In this case the flare gun served to deter the onslaught temporarily.

If this happened again, the shot might go closer to the watercraft or its pilot....
So, being Canada and all, I guessing you 'forgot' to mention shooting the flare at the moron-jet-skier? From my experience and having known a couple RCMP's I would have to guess they would take a rather 'dim' view of your action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Sounds like to me a proper weapon aimed at the perps would have been better for the gene pool.
Seriously? That's 'brandishing', and in the US it will get you arrested, the weapon gets confiscated, you charged, and depending on the state, you could lose your 2nd Amendment right. Then there is all the money you're going to spend on lawyer fees, fines, etc. All because you want to show some over testosteroned drunk 'boys' you're tougher than they are? Talk about BS bravado and machismo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Hanse37 View Post
The rest of the world has probably 99,9% less shooting incidents or agression than the US, that’s why we don’t carry a gun.
Does the US have a problem with firearm violence? Yes.

Does the rest of the world probably have 99.9% less shooting incidents or aggression than the US? No, not by a long shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garychurch View Post
I had an all metal East German flare gun with an insert for a 410 gauge shotgun shell.

I also had 12 gauge insert but using a 12 gauge shell in a hand flare gun would no doubt break a wrist.
Unless the .410 has a slug, is at point-blank range, or you shoot someone in the face, you're probably just going to give them a nasty rash.

A 12 ga fired out of a short barreled weapon like a flare gun will not brake your wrist if you hold the gun properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swvoltz View Post
I came on deck with the flare gun and fired four flares at the retreating thief.
So - you would willingly injure or maim someone over replaceable property?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9111 View Post
A shotgun seems like the best solution for a boat

Birdshot is effective at close range.

A shotgun is an excellent protection weapon... period. Get a pump as it is easier to clear a misfire. 12 ga is the best choice.

Birdshot is not a good choice for a protection. Go with buckshot. My choice is #4 buck - that's a couple dozen .22 sized pellets coming at 'you'... all at once.

No one has mentioned flame throwers because it's a really dumb idea, not to mention impractical.
Old 02-07-2021, 17:57   #165

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
So, being Canada and all, I guessing you 'forgot' to mention shooting the flare at the moron-jet-skier? From my experience and having known a couple RCMP's I would have to guess they would take a rather 'dim' view of your action.

Seriously? That's 'brandishing', and in the US it will get you arrested, the weapon gets confiscated, you charged, and depending on the state, you could lose your 2nd Amendment right. Then there is all the money you're going to spend on lawyer fees, fines, etc. All because you want to show some over testosteroned drunk 'boys' you're tougher than they are? Talk about BS bravado and machismo.

Does the US have a problem with firearm violence? Yes.

Does the rest of the world probably have 99.9% less shooting incidents or aggression than the US? No, not by a long shot.

Unless the .410 has a slug, is at point-blank range, or you shoot someone in the face, you're probably just going to give them a nasty rash.

A 12 ga fired out of a short barreled weapon like a flare gun will not brake your wrist if you hold the gun properly.

So - you would willingly injure or maim someone over replaceable property?

A shotgun is an excellent protection weapon... period. Get a pump as it is easier to clear a misfire. 12 ga is the best choice.

Birdshot is not a good choice for a protection. Go with buckshot. My choice is #4 buck - that's a couple dozen .22 sized pellets coming at 'you'... all at once.

No one has mentioned flame throwers because it's a really dumb idea, not to mention impractical.
Oops, I omitted "...fired...", after all just brandishing a weapon wont improve the gene pool.
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns