Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2020, 12:48   #31

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'
Re: 12 volt Emergency portable bilge pump

If I understand, the reason boats sink is a result of not knowing where the leak is.
That being said, alot of water must be moved at an alarming rate. On our boat, we have a genset and a Honda 2000. The Honda will run 7-9 hours on the load of a household sump pump with a flat collapsible hose that will roll out of a porthole. The genset can run at quart an hour and we have 80 gallons.

A moderate sized house hold sump pump can pump around 5000 gallons per hour. Plus with the bilge pumps sucking out 1500 gallons per hour. Now we have a plan to find the leak.

Hope I never have to use them but having a household sump pump with 2" flat collapsible hose is very cheap insurance.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 19:44   #32

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingchiro View Post
If I understand, the reason boats sink is a result of not knowing where the leak is.
That being said, alot of water must be moved at an alarming rate. On our boat, we have a genset and a Honda 2000. The Honda will run 7-9 hours on the load of a household sump pump with a flat collapsible hose that will roll out of a porthole. The genset can run at quart an hour and we have 80 gallons.

A moderate sized house hold sump pump can pump around 5000 gallons per hour. Plus with the bilge pumps sucking out 1500 gallons per hour. Now we have a plan to find the leak.

Hope I never have to use them but having a household sump pump with 2" flat collapsible hose is very cheap insurance.
Carried one for years with a 2.2kW genset in a box on deck, left it with the boat when I sold it.

The sump pump had a float switch so I T'd off one of the overboards and used to put it in the bilge with it connected to shore power when I left the boat in marinas to go off on business.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 20:51   #33

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Carried one for years with a 2.2kW genset in a box on deck, left it with the boat when I sold it.

The sump pump had a float switch so I T'd off one of the overboards and used to put it in the bilge with it connected to shore power when I left the boat in marinas to go off on business.
Never thought of keeping it on shore power at the dock. Great idea!
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, emergency, enc, pump