Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2023, 09:13   #1

Boat: Vancouver 27
Vancouver 27F

We are selling our UK-built Pheon 1982 Vancouver 27F, currently in Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras. Owned for 12 years by us and sailed US East Coast, Bahamas and W Caribbean. Complete refit along with full epoxy bottom job in Oriental, NC in 2015-16. We had planned for more extensive cruising but then covid hit, our family grew, and plans changed.

$23k

We have had Soma docked in Calabash Bight, Roatan's hurricane hole, since Mar 2020. She has been watched over with regular hull cleanings and I have been down to visit her regularly thru the pandemic, performing all routine maintenance and making sure she's stayed dry and and her systems kept operational and in ready-to-cruise condition.

USCG Documented.

A list of systems and inventory:

-Spectra Cape Horn watermaker (2016) with basic spares and a few years worth of filters
-Winslow 4 person super light offshore plus (SLOP) liferaft (new 2017, vacuum packed and stored in lazarette, not since recertified as per recommended 3 year interval)
-integral baffled watertanks under cabin sole (2016) coated with FDA grade epoxy (Brewcoat) - strong, dependable, easy to clean (50gallons total)
-foot pump raw and fresh water in galley sink
-pressure fresh water spigot in galley sink
-Force 10 oven w/ 2 burners
-2 10# propane tanks under aft cockpit
-EPIRB (2015) and older backup (2010)
-Norvane windvane (2015) with spares
-Pelagic electric autopilot with spare tiller - https://pelagicautopilot.com/
-Achilles inflatable dinghy w/ 8HP 2 stroke Nissan/Tohastu outboard
-outboard motor lift and harness mounted aft cockpit
-beefy cable and locks for outboard
-thorough spares kit for outboard, patch kit for inflatable (no patching needed to date)
-Vesper AIS (mounted on companionway swivel for viewing from cabin/cockpit - 2016)
-Garmin chartplotter (2017)
-#2 genoa, mainsail, working jib, staysail, spinnaker and storm trysail all in good condition
-Harken roller furler for foresail (2015), hank-on staysail, in-mast mainsail track
-mast steps
-makita 18v power tools, vacuum, and charging station
-Garmin radar
-230W semi-flexible solar array
-MPPT solar charge controller
-shore power with Sterling Pro charge controller
-2 battery banks w/ 4 way switch
-Engel 12V fridge/freezer (2017)
-heavily insulated icebox
-C-head composting head
-clean 27HP Yanmar 3GM30F engine (2500 hrs, solid and dependable)
-spotless engine bay
-full engine gasket kit, spare fuel filters, backup alternator, belts, engine thermostat, lift pump, water pump, et al.
-32gallon fuel tank
-integrated diesel fuel polishing system w/ switch (2015) - typically run whenever engine is on
-SS diesel tank removed, inspected and cleaned (2016)
-chainplates/rigging/lifelines all replaced (2016)
-lifeline stanchions elevated off deck with 1/4" G10 blocks and backing plates (2016)
-oversized mantus anchor, disassembled mantus backup anchor, danforth stern anchor
-150ft of chain and 300ft of rope (maggi chain new in 2017)
-manual windlass
-full bottom job and epoxy barrier coat (2015)
-all Spartan bronze thru hulls and seacocks (2015)
-Spartan bronze stuffing box (2015)
-all below-waterline hoses replaced (2015)
-mounted vhf and handheld
-new interior upholstery (2019)
-all LED lighting
-collection of electrical spares, wire, connectors, switches and lights
-charts and cruising guides
-fishing gear
-collection of spare line, blocks, spare full shroud-length of tanged SS rigging wire
-caframo 12V fans throughout cabin/berth
-various boat tools
-large collection of spare fasteners, hoses, clamps, zincs, shackles, etc
-manuals for all onboard systems
-a bunch of other stuff

Her to-do list if I were keeping her:
-replace cockpit teak - it is wearing thin and peeling in a few places
-dodger and bimini canvas are nearing end of life
-needs a new ships clock in the cabin if felt needed

None of this requires immediate attention, but the Rio Dulce -- an easy downwind sail away -- is an excellent place for work. If I was prepping for remote or long distance cruising again, I would also beef up the house battery bank.. currently just two 6V golf cart batteries.

I had considered taking Soma back to the Rio to sell, but Roatan is much easier to get to with direct flights, and the Bay Islands would a much better place to start cruising, IMHO. You also have Belizean cruising grounds an easy downwind sail away.

If I were starting out with her, my plan would be to cruise the Bay Islands or Belize for a few months and then make for the Rio before hurricane season, hang out, and do any desired work you feel is needed.

I will be down there Feb 4-24 getting her cleaned up and ready for sale. It's short notice, but would be a great time to come look at her. Afterwards, I am planning to list her with Bay Island Yachts on the island. Either way, I would like to have them facilitate the paperwork.

I will give a $1000 travel comp for anyone that buys her. This is a great boat that I have loved for a long time and am offering up in hopes someone else will love next equally. It's ideal for a young couple or singlehander, built to a very high standard by Pheon Yachts of UK, and has been uncompromisingly setup with long term safety and self-sufficiency in mind. She has spent many months away from any facilities or services of any kind in the past, and she is ready to do it again. Just bring some clothes and a lifejacket.

My wife made a video for friends and family a few years ago walking thru the boat. They are broken up into 5 segments below. I have also attached a few pictures (sorry I don't have more high quality pics at the moment).

1/5 https://youtu.be/8hVysubUSUY
2/5
2/5 https://youtu.be/GKXC8js1mbM
3/5 https://youtu.be/SOBq4ZDe96s
4/5 https://youtu.be/6CiXLAkfPxM
5/5 https://youtu.be/BRYB9CVTims
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0987.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	270975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cockpit.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	270976  

Name:	IMAG0666 (1).jpg
Views:	217
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	270977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Galley.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	270978  

Name:	IMAG0525.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	270979   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171218_085120346_HDR.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	438.5 KB
ID:	270980  

Name:	IMG_0622.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	270981   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201104_135941.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	422.4 KB
ID:	270982  

laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 09:26   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Vancouver 27F

Lovely boat (my "dream boat" back in the early 80s)!

Best of luck!

(Wife says "No, we already have a boat...".)
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:12   #3

Boy that does look pretty; Can you get down there by 2/24? I'd kind of like another person interested in partnering; though I am in contact with a minor acquaintance who was 1/4 partner in a boat in Man-O-War, Abaco, which is where we used to be as well. I'm trying to sell him on a 27-30', but that seems small for him so far. Me, I like a small boat for all the obvious reasons.

Speaking for my team, we better unload our Morgan before we take another leap; I do have a nibble from a guy who does fiberglass repairs, so I'm hoping...
Abacobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:36   #4

pm sent
randsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 13:58   #5

Love how you put watermaker as first item on the list, however wondering how many you can sleep on board? Ok with space being tight though.
argosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 20:26   #6

PM Sent
JefeCubano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 07:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by argosail View Post
Love how you put watermaker as first item on the list, however wondering how many you can sleep on board? Ok with space being tight though.
The boat has a v-berth where my wife and I both slept. I'm 6'1" and she's 5'3". There are also two settees, both of which are exactly 6' in length, thought the portside has a foot cove which makes the overall length closer to 7'. Also handy for stowing blankets and pillows during the day. The settees double up as passage berths.

We've had 4 onboard for short stretches. 3 for a period of weeks. It's a large 27' but it's still a 27', so while everyone has a comfortable place to sleep, it's not really a long term arrangement.

On the watermaker as #1: Particularly on a pocket cruiser with limited tankage, it's the best thing ever. All of a sudden you can shower and wash gear down, do laundry, etc without having to constantly worry about whether it's going to rain or finding a place to fill tanks. I chose the Cape Horn version because of it's efficiency, relative simplicity and redundancy. I would do it the same again.

Ryan
Old 17-02-2023, 10:29   #8

Looks like one well equipped pocket cruiser.

What does the F in 27f mean?
Clavinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2023, 05:32   #9

The "F" is for family. Also known as the 274.. it sleeps 4, a double v berth and two settees.. The more common V27 has the head up front in place of the v berth, with 2 settees and a quarterberth.

The 27F has a head and closet area just aft of the v berth, and a main cabin that's a few feet smaller to accommodate the separate v berth. Pics of both attached.

There are obviously tradeoffs to both arrangements. The way I see it, the normal V27 has the better seagoing arrangement.. berths are pushed back a bit with the head on the centerline up front, and you have a quarterberth far aft behind the nav station. The main cabin is also a bit larger because it's not accommodating a separate v berth.

The V27F is the better cruising liveaboard IMO.. you have a separate cabin upfront with a privacy door, there's a hatch for airflow right above the head, and the settees both still function as passage berths. Plus you have a lot more storage in the lazarette without the quarterberth.

I will have more pics of Soma very soon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	v274.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	271738   Click image for larger version

Name:	v273.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	271739  

Old 20-03-2023, 23:10   #10

Have you sold your boat? If not I am interested. dcgunter@msn.com or 832-226-6948
dcgunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 13:35   #11

where is the sailboat now and on what date can it be visited
lolo201 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vancouver