Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to look at local boat & take pics?
Yes, within 60 minutes of me 4 36.36%
Yes, within 30 minutes of me 4 36.36%
Maybe, depends on the boat and/or whose asking 3 27.27%
No, I'm unlikely to do this 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2021, 09:50   #1

Location: Farmington, CT (near Hartford and 1 hour to LI Sound)
Boat: Holder 12 and looking 24-32' cruiser
Local eyes on a boat?

I saw a listing on college confidential for parents to volunteer to be a local contact for kids (and parents of kids) going to school some distance from home.

It made me wonder, as an individual shopping for a boat, if a similar opportunity exists for sailors to volunteer to take a look at a boat for sale near them when asked nicely/appropriately by a buyer at some distance.

In my thinking this volunteer could more objectively describe condition and provide a few photos that would offer a first line of defense against a long trip.

Sadly, as an hour from the shore I'm not in a great position to offer my services but wondering if some of you would?

I'm thinking this thread could become like the crew needed/wanted forum?
Rblakenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:58   #2

Re: Local eyes on a boat?

Look at and take pics of Ericson 26 on hard in Jersey City, NJ?

I'm admittedly only semi-serious about it at this point but am contemplating the 5-6 hour round trip. I can get further info on location and coordinate showing if it's easy for anyone and their wiling to consider?
Old 05-04-2021, 10:52   #3

Boat: Sabre 34II

I like the idea and am happy to provide the service, selected drive within 30 mins option, which, in western Nassau county might not be much because of traffic
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:01   #4

You left out a good response...if it's in my marina (or otherwise very close).

No, I'm unlikely to pay for gas and eat up 3-4hours driving 60 miles and back to go check out your boat unless I'm getting paid...at least enough to cover my expenses. But then it becomes contractual and did I do a good enough job...am I qualified...it just gets messy.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:35   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

This has been brought up here before. Just like in real life, I'd certainly do this for someone whom I know, or have a positive connection to here on CF. As long as the ask wasn't too onerous, I'd try and help out if I could. I'd be less likely to go out of my way for a complete stranger.

Certainly I'd expect any direct expenses incurred to be reimbursed. Payment would not be expected, but some sort of thank-you would go a long way to expressing appreciation. Buy me a beer, or find a way to reciprocate -- no different from doing your fellow boater a favour in real life.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:51   #6

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

I would certainly do it if it was within the area. A poster inspected a boat and took photo's for me when I posted about it on another site. I didn't even have to ask. The photo's just appeared the day after I mentioned the potential boat in Perth.

Many of us enjoy looking at boats and sharing someone else's excitement when shopping for a new vessel.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:56   #7

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I'd help someone out. I think most of us would, within reason.

I'm not sure it needs to be a dedicated app or anything. A well-titled post here, and maybe another forum or two, should be enough. If you include the exact location in the title, chances are good someone who lives nearby will read the post, and may even know the boat.

Another option is to call a local surveyor. Explain that you are interested in a boat, and want a quick check before going to the expense of a full survey. I'm pretty sure some would be willing to do that for a nominal charge.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 13:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
You left out a good response...if it's in my marina (or otherwise very close.
I debated adding that but then thought figuring out marinas might get complicated. But now that I think about it I should have included if only for the true cruisers with no car!
Old 05-04-2021, 13:11   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rblakenyc View Post
I debated adding that but then thought figuring out marinas might get complicated. But now that I think about it I should have included if only for the true cruisers with no car!
Even with a car.

Wander to the yard in my marina or even the marina next door, I probably wouldn't mind.

Drive an hour each way, spend an hour or so, burning $20--30 in gas, putting wear and tear on my vehicle...probably not unless I know the person.

Not hard to give a marina where it is and let the volunteer decide if it's worth the trouble.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 00:29   #10

Boat: OPB while I search for mine

At one point, I remember one of the other forums out there (SailNet, maybe?) had a thread for this setup. I recall taking advantage of it some years ago when I was seriously looking at a boat down in Florida, to get a quick sense of whether it was worth hiring a surveyor to give it a thorough once over (it wasn't).

I also tossed my name up on their list as being willing to look at boats and take photos within my area, and was asked to take a quick look and snap a few pictures once or twice.

So, if this thread is to become the new place for these things, if anyone is looking for/at boats on Lake Lanier, GA or the area I'm happy to give a bit of my time... at least until I find my and relocate to the shore.
Old 07-04-2021, 03:26   #11

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I'd probably be willing to do it my area just because I love looking at boats !!

That being said, if I find a great deal I may beat you to it.

So sure, if I could do it, I probably would do it. Never hurts to ask.
Old 07-04-2021, 04:21   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Local eyes on a boat?

Well I had a friend offer to look at a boat in Holland for me which I took up as the brokers pics and write up made it look like a great proposition.. and an old review on the boat and builder seemed great.
It was maybe 30 miles outside Amsterdam where he lives so I took him up on the offer.
Turned out the boat though great as a local buy for sheltered waters and a gradual refit was unsuited for even my risk factor to sail as is down to Portugal, and I've done that with some very borderline boats through the years.
He did a great job with pics and checked out everything I asked him to but I must confess, even though he said he enjoyed the day out I still felt guilty for stealing his time for a fruitless trip.
Mind, he has said he would happily do it again.. so post this Covid paranoia I may take him up on it if I spot something appealing.
I have been asked to look at boats in Lisbon and the Algarve but 200km each way and 500km each way is a long day.
Its like that old ask.. "You live in London.??? Do you know my mate Joe Bloggs"

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cal