Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2023, 10:04   #1

Boat: Bayliner 3288
Ensenada to San Diego

I am helping a friend move a boat back to the USA. I was onboard for the trip to Ensenada, and was present for all the confusion and panic caused by the issues this boat had. The TIP was finally secured and all was well. Now it's time to bring the boat back and I cannot find any info about how to check out from Mexico. Does Mexico require advance notice before leaving? Coral Marina was very helpful in getting checked in and I know they will do the same when leaving. I just want to go down there with a good understanding of what to expect. This boat is titled to an LLC and the owner will not be onboard. I'll have a notarized letter giving permission to operate the vessel. I have advised the owner to cancel the TIP after the boat is back to avoid problems for future owners. What else do I need to know?
adventuren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2023, 11:02   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Ensenada to San Diego

Page 8 of this brochure has steps required to check out, seems a lot like checking in.
https://www.marinadelapaz.com/pdf/BoatingInMexico.pdf
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2023, 11:28   #3

Boat: IP 44

Great info. Thanks!
CrispyCringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2023, 11:48   #4

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

I had my boat at Marina Coral recently and when our departure time came up, the staff at Coral took care of everything - they scheduled a van and driver, had all the necessary paperwork prepared and it was all done at no charge. I've checked out of 38 different countries but this one was one of the easiest.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2023, 14:11   #5

Yes, Marina Coral was incredible at walking us through the process. I am sure they will do the same on departure. I just want to show up with my ducks in a row!
Old 25-10-2023, 15:42   #6

That helped a lot! Thank you.
Old 25-10-2023, 20:07   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

If your owners plan to sell the boat in the US, cancel the TIP as you checkout of Ensenada. Otherwise, don't cancel it.

Be sure you understand the DTOPS/ROAM system for checking into the US.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2023, 09:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
If your owners plan to sell the boat in the US, cancel the TIP as you checkout of Ensenada. Otherwise, don't cancel it.

Be sure you understand the DTOPS/ROAM system for checking into the US.
I just got the ROAM app on my phone and I am checking into the DTOPS. I do not think they have it.
Old 27-10-2023, 12:06   #9

You can buy the DTOPS online. You don't really need the decal, all you need is the number for the ROAM app.
Old 07-11-2023, 07:36   #10

Still working on educating the boat owner on the DTOPS. If all goes well on that process, does that allow easy check in to San Diego on a weekend, or should I wait for a weekday to travel? We are hoping to have the boat in Newport by the 17th. The owners mother has been a live aboard for over 20 years. She is turning 93 next week. She wanted to live on her boat in Mexico for awhile so we took her down in May. Cancer has ended her live aboard time and she is back in Newport. Hopefully the weather and paperwork gods will cooperate!
Old 07-11-2023, 07:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuren1 View Post
Still working on educating the boat owner on the DTOPS. If all goes well on that process, does that allow easy check in to San Diego on a weekend, or should I wait for a weekday to travel? We are hoping to have the boat in Newport by the 17th. The owners mother has been a live aboard for over 20 years. She is turning 93 next week. She wanted to live on her boat in Mexico for awhile so we took her down in May. Cancer has ended her live aboard time and she is back in Newport. Hopefully the weather and paperwork gods will cooperate!

San Diego uses the customs officers from the airport for boat check in.
The DTOPS sticker https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/main/#%20
(at least the number you get from ordering) is essential.
Get the ROAM app https://www.cbp.gov/travel/pleasure-...-overview/roam (links for apple https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cbp-...263234017?mt=8 and google playhttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gov.dhs.cbp.app.oars&hl=en_US stores)

Ideally register in US, and add your passport and boat info into the app, as it has 'quirks' outside of US.

ROAM 'may' automatically tell you that you do not need to check in. Otherwise you may do a video interview, or even a phone interview. Or the customs officers shall go round to your vessel.

I've found the officers to be very busy, yet friendly once the get to the vessel.

Ensure you do not have any forbidden items (like food) https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citize...stricted-items
onboard, or dump them into the foreign waste trash can on arrival to the docks.

The best time is when international flights are not scheduled into San Diego. Otherwise you may wait.

Good luck.
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 08:49   #12

So, I have the receipt showing the DTOPS has been paid but do not have the decal number yet. Hopefully that shows up, but I did read on the CBP site that proof of purchase will work. We won't be able to skip the customs dock, but I think we will be legal. Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-11-2023, 08:52   #13

Boat: Xquisite X5 50"

The account number on the receipt is the number you need to enter on the ROAM submission.
jclark500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 10:39   #14

My recent experience is that the decal number will show up in your email within 48 hours.
Old 08-11-2023, 11:17   #15

Boat: Morgan 382

FWIW, when I checked into San Diego. I entered everything into the app in Ensenada, but stopped short of submitting my arrival. I got a late start out of Ensenada and arrived in San Diego late, around 11pm if I recall. I stopped at the Customs dock.

I then reported my arrival, and expecting customs to do their thing in the morning, I went to bed. Not 5 minutes later, I got a phone call, was asked a few basic questions, and was granted entry. No video chat or inspection. Then I went back to bed.

Then things went downhill. About an hour later, the police knock on my boat. They ask why I am there. I tell them that I just arrived, and am here (at the customs dock) to clear customs. "Great you are in the right place, when is your appointment with them?" I tell them that I checked in with the ROAM app. They are totally confused and have never heard of such a thing. They look at my passport and boat document, and call customs. After a few minutes they return and tell me, "Customs confirms you are cleared in. You need to leave the dock, immediately." I politely tell them no problem, please advise me where to go. It is now 1am, and I can't check into any marina at 1am. "Well, you can't anchor unless you make an appointment 48 hours in advance and get a permit." (incidentally, those permits are purchased in person in San Diego, not online) Again, I tell them that I am will to go anywhere they tell me, but I need somewhere to go.

Luckily, I happened to remember that as I was entering San Diego, I heard a USCG broadcast advising of a gale warning the next morning. I mentioned this. The officer becomes argumentative and says that they are notified of any gale warnings. I say I don't recall where it was for, but for sure I did hear the broadcast. He gets on the phone again.

He comes back "I have confirmed that there is a gale warning. When there is a gale, we have to give safe harbor to any vessels that need it, so you can enter the anchorage and anchor without a permit."

Anyway, be damn sure you have a plan for where to go once you get to San Diego. I suggest reserving a slip at a marina, an be sure to arrive before the Marina closes for the day.

Tags
san diego