Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2016, 07:24   #1

Boat: Catalina 350
Best way to get to Rio Dulce, Guatemala

Hi Folks .. first post !!! May be going to Rio Dulce, Guatemala to check out a sailboat. Live on east coast US. Anyone made the trip ?? Does one fly to La Aurora in Guatemala City, then take a small commuter to Rio Dulce or drive ?? Any expierence would be appreciated ?? tx Kingofcary
kingofcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:31   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Best way to get to Rio Dulce, Guatemala

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, kingofcary.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:21   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

You'll either fly into Guatemala City then take a bus to fronteras, or fly into San Pedro sula Honduras and take a bus to fronteras.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:57   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 440

It's just 80Q from the litegua bus terminal (take a cab from the airport) in Guatemala City to the Rio. Usually takes 4-6 hours with a stop in the middle. Leaves three times a day, with the last bus at noon (though sometimes there's a 3pm bus)
JStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:17   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

If you want an adventure and not just another plane and bus ride, fly to Cancun. From there head down to BZ City on a bus. From there you can continue on by bus or head out on a boat all the way to Fronteras. If you did go by boat, bring the best seat cushion you can and some rain gear as they are open boats for the most part..
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:52   #6
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Or charter a Cessna 206 and a parafoil.....
Old 02-01-2016, 05:56   #7

All great feedback everyone ... tx. Different options based on logistics and what u want to deal with .. thanks again .. kingofcary
Old 02-01-2016, 06:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
If you want an adventure and not just another plane and bus ride, fly to Cancun. From there head down to BZ City on a bus. From there you can continue on by bus or head out on a boat all the way to Fronteras. If you did go by boat, bring the best seat cushion you can and some rain gear as they are open boats for the most part..
Guy ... interesting option here. Couple quick questions, sounds like u have taken this route. 1) How long was that bus ride from Cancun to BZ City as well as how long would the ride be if you go all the way to Fronteras on the bus ???? 2) the boat option from BZ city to Fronteras ... seems like that is local folks like u said with an open boat that makes the run. What's the timing on that ?? I figure they simply hug the coast all the way down .. I can appreciate your point wrt the cushion !!! Are there plenty of boats doing that run ?? tx again .. Kingofcary
Old 02-01-2016, 07:52   #9

First off it may not be any less expensive than flying to G city. 2 years ago there were 2 busses from Cancun to BZ City every day. From BZ city to Flores there was just 1 bus every day. You might have to hotel it for 1 night in BZ city. From Flores to Fronteras, chicken buses run every few hours.
CF member Belizesailor knows more about the boat trip than I do but I have planed out the trip down to the RIO. You can get a water taxi from BZ City, Placencia and PG. One route they take to Porto Barrios is a little off shore, so it can be rough.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:57   #10

Boat: Chartercats SA, Jaguar 36

Yes, Guat city then 5 hr bus ride to rio Dulce, or taxi if you have the spare coin, around $125 5 years back. Buses are usually air conditioned and comfortable and the regular lunch stop to break up the trip is a cultural experience. Cost is about $20 if I recall correctly. I wouldn't advise wandering the streets of Guat city at night but daytime is fine. Arrange your accommodations in advance online, and the web site rio Dulce chisme is a good source of information. The beautiful cruising grounds of Belize begin a short sail from the mouth of the river.
foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:50   #11

Thanks to all for the rsp's ... I think I pretty much got the info I need to plan a trip. Again, thanks to all for the quick and very useful insight !!! kingofcary
Old 02-01-2016, 12:55   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Or charter a Cessna 206 and a parafoil.....
There is a private strip on the Rio. You can get permission to use it. So, you can indeed fly into there in a private plane or charter. Scenic 45 minute flight from Guate City.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 13:23   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
CF member Belizesailor knows more about the boat trip than I do but I have planed out the trip down to the RIO. You can get a water taxi from BZ City, Placencia and PG. One route they take to Porto Barrios is a little off shore, so it can be rough.
Belize-Rio Dulce used to be my regular commute. Ive done all the usual options and then some.

No boats from Belize City or Placencia to Guatemala, but you can fly or bus from Belize City to Punta Gorda (PG), Belize. From PG there are a number of boat options to either Livingston or Puerto Barrios. Mutiple boats per day between PG and Puerto Barrios. From Barrios you can catch a boat to Livingston and then up the Rio. Or, you can catch land transport (bus, microbus, taxi), from Barrios to Fronteras (Rio Dulce). Less frequent boats direct between PG and Livingston(ed). Memo usually makes a run about 1PM and will drop you in Livingston.

The launcha ride up the Rio includes an obligatory river tour, unless you book a privado or are catching the last boat late in the day. Launcha drivers will drop you at other locations along their route, like Burnt Caye Marina (Texan Bay), but the full fare still usually applies.

Alternatively, you can fly or bus to Flores, Guatemala (beautiful place) and then bus/taxi down to Fronteras. Flores does have limited international flights too.

If you really wanted to boat it out of Belize City or Placencia, there are boats that run to Puerto Cortez, Honduras. From there you could go overland to Puerto Barrios or Fronteras.

If you really want an adventure...ask around about Rio Sarstoon...this is the route the drug runners use.
Old 02-01-2016, 14:59   #14

[QUOTE=belizesailor;2004157]Belize-Rio Dulce used to be my regular commute. Ive done all the usual options and then some.
No boats from Belize City or Placencia to Guatemala,

I thought you could go from Big Creek/Placencia to PG and then on from there?
Old 02-01-2016, 15:12   #15

[QUOTE=Guy;2004242]
Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Belize-Rio Dulce used to be my regular commute. Ive done all the usual options and then some.
No boats from Belize City or Placencia to Guatemala,

I thought you could go from Big Creek/Placencia to PG and then on from there?
You can go from Placencia by air or bus or from Big Creek/Independence by bus, but no regular boats that make this run. Unless something has popped up recently, but I doubt it...its a long, expensive, often rough, run by boat. Whereas its cheap by bus and quick and easy by plane (in country flights are not expensive either).

Decades ago there were coastal trading boats that worked the entire Belizean coast, but roads and planes put them out of business.

There are only 3 regular boats I know of that run out of Placencia: one to Puerto Cortez, the Monkey River tour (several boats run this to Monkey River/Monkey River Town, cool tour), and the Hokey Pokey water taxi over to Mango Creek (near Big Creek/Independence)

Ive made the run many times between Placencia and PG, but only in private boats.

Tags
Guatemala