Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2024, 03:30   #46

Re: Zip Tie Recommendations

All the info on cable ties is actually rather useful, especially the item about fluorescent colored zip ties for anchor chains, thank you

But, I do not see anyone talking about what happens at the end of the cables that may or may not be tied (whatever color/type of cable-tie). My biggest frustration is when the wires end up at a buzz bar or switch board . . . does nobody number / label cable ends anymore? Is this subject in a different thread that I have missed?

I recently helped a friend with trying to figure out the wiring in his 25 year old Hunter sailing yacht, where equipment had been added or made redundant over the years, most cables were neatly packed/tied but there was no way to work out which cable connected which piece of equipment without tracing it end to end (sometimes a challenge in a big bundle of tied wires).
alitaptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 04:22   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alitaptap View Post
... does nobody number / label cable ends anymore? Is this subject in a different thread that I have missed?...
QUOTE=GordMay;3854304]...
For identification , I used coloured wire [or phasing tape], and labels, covered with a heat-shrinkable, flexible [thin wall] polyolefin tubing [for protection/permanence]...[/QUOTE]

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 09:28   #48

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrca View Post
I don’t often admit this, but when applying zip ties in hidden out of the way places, especially if a bit herd to reach, I don’t feel compelled to clip the ends off at all. That way there’s no risk of getting scratched the next time I need to reach back in there, and the intact ends make it easy to see where the ties are, and can be used to tug the tie away from the wire(s) to make it easier to cut without damaging the wire.
Last week I cut off about a dozen ties I had put on a few years ago. All nearly impossible to reach (so nearly impossible to install, cut off tails, and cut off now). Most (all?) still had the tails intact. I noticed it and thought that was interesting -- then happily cut them out. So you aren't alone leaving them!
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:48   #49

Boat: Cape Dory 30 MkII

This is just a trick I learned on YouTube for zip ties:
Rather than tearing off the top of the package of ties (like I’ve done for years) which allows them all to spill out, cut a small slot in the center of the packet so you you can pull one or two out through the hole but the others cannot fall out. Sorry no pictures.
Khaos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 06:39   #50

Boat: Easterly 38

Check out a website...
cabletiesandmore.com

These folks have zip ties galore! There are ties of all colors and configurations plus connectors, labels and all kinds of wire handling stuff. More than you can dream of.

Cheers
Sailorkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 07:46   #51
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

About zip ties on anchor chains: they do deteriorate and break the tail off which is then lost in the sea as more plastic garbage. I know because we did this for years.

About 10 years ago we switched to 12” long pieces of paracord simply tied to the links with a tiny bowline and we have not lost any in those 10 years.

Here is what we do:

- at 30’ (10m) a single yellow string just to get a feeling how long it takes for 30’ chain to run out.

- at 60’ (20m) a single blue string which is the first real marker because you should always put out at least 60’ of chain even in the shallowest water (anchor set is unreliable with shorter rode)

- at 120’ (40m) two blue strings 6 inches apart. When 60’ chain isn’t enough scope we go to 60’ or estimate somewhere in between (because you know how long it takes to feed out 30’)

- at 180’, 240’, 300’ we repeat this with 3, 4 and 5 strings.

- at 360’ we near the end of our 400’ of chain and we have a Christmas tree of strings there in many colors.

- at 400’ we have the end of the chain tied to 100’ of 3/8” diameter polypropylene line (floats) that is flaked underneath the chain in the chain locker. The end of that is tied off with a fuse (paracord). So when everything runs out by accident you can come back to pick up the floating line and retrieve it.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 07:59   #52

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

We replaced the zip ties on the anchor chain yearly -- they typically last that long without failing.

The reason I liked the zip ties is that I could hear them going over the bow roller and through the gypsy if I kept the legs on the tie. Mind as well use all your senses if you can.
Matt Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 07:08   #53

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56

Because you really want to know:

I don't remember "Zip ties for $300, Alex" or a Trivial Pursuit question.
Mal Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 10:23   #54

Boat: Ericson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Black ties are most durable to UV exposure. Use real flush cutting side cutters so there is no sharp edge to cut you later.
One of the things I learned from a good friend of mine who is a Journeyman Electrician is that if you are using good quality zip ties, you can get rid of the tails by twisting them off with a pair of lineman’s pliers. Grasp the tail with the pliers flush to the locking mechanism and twist.

Panduit and Thomas &Betts ties work well this way. Cheaper ties will often stretch and make a sharp needle of a point instead, so don’t do it with them.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 10:26   #55

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohnson View Post
One of the things I learned from a good friend of mine who is a Journeyman Electrician is that if you are using good quality zip ties, you can get rid of the tails by twisting them off with a pair of lineman’s pliers. Grasp the tail with the pliers flush to the locking mechanism and twist.

Panduit and Thomas &Betts ties work well this way. Cheaper ties will often stretch and make a sharp needle of a point instead, so don’t do it with them.
Best tool for zip-ties is a pair of flush cut pliers. never have any jagged tails that way!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 16:33   #56

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Best tool for zip-ties is a pair of flush cut pliers. never have any jagged tails that way!
A few posts up thread, Jedi actually provided a link to an example. A few clicks and a few days later, I have one in my tool kit. I'm itching to put a wire tie someplace....
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 18:05   #57

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

I have actually stopped cutting tails off in many cases. No cut no sharp edge plus they are easier to find later.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:29   #58

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
A few posts up thread, Jedi actually provided a link to an example. A few clicks and a few days later, I have one in my tool kit. I'm itching to put a wire tie someplace....
Yeah, bought two pair from that link, really nice!
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men