Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2023, 19:13   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Key West
Boat: 1986 Sigma 41
Posts: 199
What epoxy to hold zip tie holders?

Evening folks,

I am searching for a good epoxy that can hold zip tie holders in a boat to hold wires. I need an epoxy that cures very fast (30 seconds?) and preferably one that is available in very small quantities.

Background: I am a marine electrician and often only need to put a few of these up on a job Iím working on and then Iím off to the next boat. Waiting 30 minutes for epoxy to cure doesnít work. Waiting 5 is a stretch. Would like either an epoxy that costs less than $5 per pack, or one that I can store and re-use for at least a few weeks before it goes bad.

Thanks!
__________________
Justin on SV Allora (Sigma 41)
theglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 19:37   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014
 
thinwater's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Deale, MD
Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Posts: 9,274
Re: What epoxy to hold zip tie holders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglo View Post
Evening folks,

I am searching for a good epoxy that can hold zip tie holders in a boat to hold wires. I need an epoxy that cures very fast (30 seconds?) and preferably one that is available in very small quantities.

Background: I am a marine electrician and often only need to put a few of these up on a job I’m working on and then I’m off to the next boat. Waiting 30 minutes for epoxy to cure doesn’t work. Waiting 5 is a stretch. Would like either an epoxy that costs less than $5 per pack, or one that I can store and re-use for at least a few weeks before it goes bad.

Thanks!

Not 30 seconds, but Plexus is what Weldmount and others use. The glue is thick enough to hold the empty fixture in place, and within 15 minutes it can probably hold wires. 2-3 times stronger than 5-minute epoxy and better with plastics.


Devcon Plastic Welder is Plexus MA300 in consumer packaging. $10 for a few ounces in a 2-part syringe (and NOT other brand plastic bonders--most of them are epoxy--just this specific one).


Keeps for a year in the fridge.


--


If you really want instant, try VHB tape, but it doesn't hold nearly as much and requires non-porous surfaces. Too often it fails in the heat. Also, it does not build full strength for several days.
__________________
Gear Testing--Engineering--Sailing
https://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 21:44   #3
Registered User

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Miami Florida
Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Posts: 4,001
Re: What epoxy to hold zip tie holders?

Iíve used the 3M VHB tape for mounting tie wrap holders to fiberglass/gel coat. Fast and easy.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000238433/
__________________
Retired from Hopkins-Carter Marine Supplies
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 23:41   #4
always in motion is the future
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 17,425
Re: What epoxy to hold zip tie holders?

The struggle

https://www.amazon.com/XHF2018-Adhes.../dp/B07M69LK65
__________________
ďItís a trap!Ē - Admiral Ackbar.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:14   #5
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Posts: 1,980
Images: 2
Re: What epoxy to hold zip tie holders?

Cordless Hot Glue Gun. Simples
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:19   #6
Registered User
 
Franziska's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Panschwitz, Germany
Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Posts: 3,976
Re: What epoxy to hold zip tie holders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Cordless Hot Glue Gun. Simples
I had glue gun glue fail over time in warmer climate.
Do you have a good brand of glue sticks you can recommend?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
www.ladyrover.com
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:26   #7
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Posts: 1,980
Images: 2
Re: What epoxy to hold zip tie holders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
I had glue gun glue fail over time in warmer climate.
Do you have a good brand of glue sticks you can recommend?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

There are numerous "specific" glue sticks.
We have used these on the boat with success Tecbond 1942
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:49   #8
always in motion is the future
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 17,425
Re: What epoxy to hold zip tie holders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
I had glue gun glue fail over time in warmer climate.
Do you have a good brand of glue sticks you can recommend?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
This is for hobby and crafts hot glue guns with limited temperature melting glue. You need a glue gun that supports higher temperatures for stronger glue. There are types with a permanent bond stronger than epoxy.

I have this one, which is entry level professional use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CDS324
__________________
ďItís a trap!Ē - Admiral Ackbar.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:34   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Key West
Boat: 1986 Sigma 41
Posts: 199
Re: What epoxy to hold zip tie holders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Not 30 seconds, but Plexus is what Weldmount and others use. The glue is thick enough to hold the empty fixture in place, and within 15 minutes it can probably hold wires. 2-3 times stronger than 5-minute epoxy and better with plastics.


Devcon Plastic Welder is Plexus MA300 in consumer packaging. $10 for a few ounces in a 2-part syringe (and NOT other brand plastic bonders--most of them are epoxy--just this specific one).


Keeps for a year in the fridge.


--


If you really want instant, try VHB tape, but it doesn't hold nearly as much and requires non-porous surfaces. Too often it fails in the heat. Also, it does not build full strength for several days.
Iíll give the Plexus stuff a try. Just worried about the set time; and the fridge storage. I keep all my tools in a work van and will definitely forget the glue in my fridge when I leave in the mornings (plus my wife may not be cool with that).

Iíve tried VHB tape but not sure Iíd trust it for zip tie holdingÖ mainly because when it fails customers call me and I have to go fix it. Which is why Iíve shied away from this in the past and mainly used screws. But, if I can find a way to not screw into a boat, that would be great.
__________________
Justin on SV Allora (Sigma 41)
theglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:35   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Key West
Boat: 1986 Sigma 41
Posts: 199
Re: What epoxy to hold zip tie holders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Iíve had no luck with these remaining attached under any kind of load, time, or vibration.
__________________
Justin on SV Allora (Sigma 41)
theglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:36   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Key West
Boat: 1986 Sigma 41
Posts: 199
Re: What epoxy to hold zip tie holders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Cordless Hot Glue Gun. Simples
This Iím going to look more into.

Thank you!
__________________
Justin on SV Allora (Sigma 41)
theglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:40   #12
always in motion is the future
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 17,425
Re: What epoxy to hold zip tie holders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglo View Post
Iíll give the Plexus stuff a try. Just worried about the set time; and the fridge storage. I keep all my tools in a work van and will definitely forget the glue in my fridge when I leave in the mornings (plus my wife may not be cool with that).

Iíve tried VHB tape but not sure Iíd trust it for zip tie holdingÖ mainly because when it fails customers call me and I have to go fix it. Which is why Iíve shied away from this in the past and mainly used screws. But, if I can find a way to not screw into a boat, that would be great.
Why distrust VHB tape? It has demonstrated to be the ultimate adhesive. If itís good enough for windows in sky scrapers then it will hold the zip tie.

Of course the surface to attach it to must be compatible. If it is smooth gelcoat or gloss paint, it will not come off. If it is a mud wall, it will probably fall off straight away (actually it is the wall that fails).

I have tested the clips I linked above to destruction. If the surface is strong enough (not rip paint off etc.) then the failure is through the foam of the VHB tape, leaving foam on both the clip and the surface. It needs a lot of force; for most I pulled the plastic to pieces.
__________________
ďItís a trap!Ē - Admiral Ackbar.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 05:41   #13
Registered User
 
Matt Johnson's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Annapolis MD
Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Posts: 3,115
Re: What epoxy to hold zip tie holders?

MMA (Plexus) works extremely well, but it does need to be stored properly to get its max shelf life. You can get formulas that are down to under a minute bond time, but then you can only do one tie mount per mix of the two components. Best is to get around 7 minutes and just plop a few in place and wait. The viscosity of the adhesive is enough that it will hold itself and the light weight mount up until cured.
__________________
MJSailing - Youtube Vlog -
Matt Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
epoxy

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Chigoku Epoxy Primer and Tie-Coat 5 liter sets each lucseawalker General Classifieds (no boats) 0 09-06-2021 00:52
Capt Zip Captain Zip Meets & Greets 7 17-01-2014 09:07
I Pad in Zip Lock Bag?.......... reiner Marine Electronics 13 27-12-2012 09:25
Ditch Bag - Batteries in Zip-loc or Vacuum seal? riversandbar Health, Safety & Related Gear 4 17-08-2012 06:13
Looking at Cats - Looking at Lifestyle Changes - Know Zip About Sailing zarkmud Meets & Greets 43 13-08-2010 10:31

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:31.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.