Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2012, 17:51   #1

Boat: Cal-Jensen 34 w Yanmar 3
Send a message via Skype™ to sonAdmiralson
windgen or turbine reviews where

please help find a good link to reviews for higher output models that perform in small wind thanks
sonAdmiralson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 18:03   #2

Re: windgen or turbine reviews where

what I have found is that they all make 100 watts or so at 20 knots regardless of manufacure, I am leaning now towards a Gudcraft 300 Watt, Seems the difference in the higher output, say 600, models is that they make more power in high wind, but the lower rated models dont make an excessive amount to be dumped but make enough. The 600s and the 300 or 200s all will make 100 watts at 20 knots. This world of windgens is new and pretty confusing. It appears that more blades would be steadier with more inertia, perhaps more efficient in lower wind, and that the three blade workhorses are for higher wind and higher output
Old 21-02-2013, 11:12   #3

I can give a pretty fair view of whats up now, if anyone needs info. Mine made more than ten amps all night the other night.
Old 22-02-2013, 05:59   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Wind turbine reviews - Better Generation

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 08:48   #5

The white ones you see everyhwhere are just toys not worth the trouble. And the correct istall of a high watt model is NO PICNIC, if its wired right. I would never do it again, but would spend the money on solar outrigged. When I get the chance, I will post photos and data of what I ended up with. The data in the link posted above is so broad in scope its not much good. This being a new idustry it has a long way to go Computer generated data is needed to compare between models, since there are so many different configurations its all apples and oranges. I ran #6 welding cable, used the pole as a ground, wired in an ammeter, dump load (1500W element into my water tank) and an advanced switching relay controller that controls the whole thing nicely. The alternator is a PMA cogging unit inside a GM body. The package I bought is the same one used by the military for its remote outposts, and has clear polycarbonate 4' blades which are invisible and totally silent. It makes decent power in low wind and really juices in 25. The alternator makes a sound when it cogs that resonates down the pole against the rear deck and acts a s a sounding board, so its like a distant airplane. If I put padding between the pipe and deck it would be totally silent but I like knowing whats happening out there. I can judge the output by the tone of the sound, which isnt annoying, and acts as an alarm to nail down whats on deck. If the airplane is lost (10mph), its just registering less than an amp. if its out of the clouds(14), between one and two. Climbing and banking(20), up to four. Past that and its quiet again, against the noise of the wind OA. The blades only make noise when it trips the dump circuit, and then it slows way down. I didnt want a model that needed tethering, seems dangerous and counerproductive. I could still tether it for a hurricane, but it will survive 60 no sweat. Total cost: $500 I used galvi steel fence pole. Time in labor... a month, not a process to rush. I now have more power than I can use daily, but no where near enough to generate 600W for the AC. The total investment to run that on the hook... 6 batteries and 3 panels... about 4K anyway. Worth it LT tho.
Old 25-02-2013, 08:53   #6

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Smile Re: windgen or turbine reviews where

Full and good review in the MARCH edition of "Practiacal Boat Owner" which is out now.

Peter
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 09:07   #7

Boat: Orion 58 1986 Inca
I have an Air X Breeze the pretty white ones you see everywhere problem is they hardly work , especially if your sailing with the trade winds as I am currently doing mid Pacific. The output claims are incorrect. There are also reliability problems and major issues trying to get warranty repairs from South West Marine the manufacturer. Seems I should have spent way more money and bought a better more ugly one with more blades !
inca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 09:09   #8

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Smile Re: windgen or turbine reviews where

Quote:
Originally Posted by inca View Post
I have an Air X Breeze the pretty white ones you see everywhere problem is they hardly work , especially if your sailing with the trade winds as I am currently doing mid Pacific. The output claims are incorrect. There are also reliability problems and major issues trying to get warranty repairs from South West Marine the manufacturer. Seems I should have spent way more money and bought a better more ugly one with more blades !

Ah then you have a dodgy one. I also have an Air X Marine and it works very very well
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews