Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2024, 17:00   #1

Wind Turbines under $500

Hey Folks

Have any of you had luck with any wind turbines available online that are under $500 and put out a reasonable amount of power overnight to keep feeding batteries after dark?

Thanks
Subsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 19:06   #2

Re: Wind Turbines under $500

Pretty much every place I anchor, the wind dies after sunset. I am in the Bahamas right now, its 10PM and the wind is blowing at a roaring 3 knots.

It's a fantasy that wind generators actually make enough power to return their cost, even if you could find one for $500. Wind generators CAN have high PEAK power, but the average power generated is very low. Been there, tried it, won't try again. If you have $500 to spend, buy more solar. You will be happier.
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 20:45   #3

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30
Re: Wind Turbines under $500

With respect, I beg to differ with SailingHarmonie. We have a Rutland wind generator (note to the OP: it does cost more than $500). We are located in Nelson N.Z with quite strong winds in and around Tasman Bay, the Sounds, and Cook Strait for much of the year. The wind doesn't die after sunset as long as its a gradient wind and not a summer sea breeze.
In the S. Pacific tropics where I spend 17 years cruising, the trades were very reliable in the winter months. Of course if you can always anchor out of the wind, then yes, the wind genny will not be a lot of help. On passage though, especially on courses into or across the wind, that extra charge will definitely help the electric fridge and autopilot.Yes, I agree that solar is a good option, BUT if your space is limited and/or you can't adjust the angle of the panels, solar is not the be all end all of charging sources, and it only works when its has sun on it..
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind