Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2008, 14:11   #46

I have a KISS. I love it! My neihbor has a new Air-X. In 10 -15 knots of wind I don't hear my own generator at all but I sure as hell hear theirs. Just based on the noise level alone I would never ever buy an Air -X. I have also spent time on their boat - we all hate it no matter how many cocktails we have had.
By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 14:23   #47
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I love my kiss also, and they have put out some better blades to get more juice........PLUS THEY ARE QUIET!!!!!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 14:26   #48
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I installed a kiss this past summer and with 20 knots of wind it covers all my needs i think it puts out about 20amps at 20 knots of wind-- starts getting noisey with higher winds
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2008, 04:11   #49

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
I second the idea of spending $20 bucks to get the two Practical Sailor articles on wind generators, if you're considering them. Their recommendations seems to be sound and there's good advice, depending on the type of cruising you do.

They say good things about the new Air-X product, KISS and Rutland generators, but also caution that generators should only supplement solar for the serious cruiser.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2008, 04:23   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Marine Wind Generator Test
http://www.mactrashop.co.uk/superwind-report.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2008, 15:22   #51

Boat: Dickerson 41 Ketch
Talking

Ya what am I thinking? 20 bucks if it leads me in the right direction, duh.....
Thanks for all of the input, I read alot about what to look for and will continue to read the other sites you all have suggested.....

Mark
fawcettm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2008, 15:26   #52

Boat: Dickerson 41 Ketch
Hey Gord, thanks! this is definitely a read I will give a close read!
fawcettm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 00:26   #53

Boat: Hartly Tahitian46ketch ALCHEMIST
I have used hybrid system of air 303 and 100w solar. works great down here were average wind =15kn.keeps up with my 80 amp a day habbit! After ten years the air 303 has died so are going to fit a Air Breeze marine, which is on its way from the states. Great thing this INTERNET and the global market place $$$$
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 15:07   #54

Air X

Hi Guys
Am very new to this forum.
Have just purchased an Air X (last july '07) replacement for a 12 year old 'Air Marine' which served us faithfully and efficiently through some really strong winds etc. Sited ontop of our mizzen mast - NOT - a quiet option but very efficient and we were very happy with 'AMY'. She sadly died last summer and we opted to replace her with Air X after being advised she was not repairable.
We had a very short summer 'season' swinging round the 'hook' we also had to replace our battery bank - ouch-!! upgrading from 300 to 500 Ah. We'd noticed that we were'nt getting a full whack from the genny but thought nothing more about it. during the winter, in port with some strong wind we noticed an alarming noise from the 'switched off' Air X, over 2-3 seconds it would 'wind up & stop with a 'thump'. It made sleeping impossible so the captain climbed the mizzen and tied it off. Here started a long protracted 'conversation' with the supplier - from UK & manufacturer in the US. It's a very long unhappy saga but ultimately the unit was removed from the mast, tested, by us, under instruction and finally returned to the UK supplier.
It's sadly another of the 'first time this has happened' stories (wish we'd got a euro/pound/dollar for every one of these we've come accross!!) Apparently the unit is too clever for it's own good and the brushes had managed to fill the unit with carbon dust - as these, according to the blurb - should last a lifetime - we are at a loss to understand why. Anyway the unit is on it's way back to us but we are very dissalusioned with the whole thing. We've been advised that 'the nature of the beast - wind generators-are going to go wrong and we should get solar panels!!! We do have solar power and have in the past managed really well with the combination (Med & Canaries) after spending a lot of money it's not a happy situation.
Your comments would be gratefully recevied. Sorry about the rambling nature of this post.
Regards
Lizzie
Lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 17:55   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Our last boat had a Four Winds and it went through a hurricane just fine. In 25 knots of wind we could not use all the power it could make in a day. It would put out 8 amps easily. That will run the fridge and charge the batteries. We also had a solar panel too. Solar is that silent workhorse that makes no noise but with a 20 knot breeze the wind gen is making serious amps.

If you consider that you don't choose anchorages for the most wind it can be that the solar panels pay off better since when was the last time you anchored in the shade? On a passage the wind gen is going to pay the bigger amps. If you are sailing it's assured to be working well. To use both adds expense since both need power regulation.

They don't do the same thing and they do work well with each other.

Solar and wind serve different niches. Overall solar I think should be maxed out before you add wind gen power, but on a passage you just know the wind gen will earn it's keep or you won't get there from here.

Our current boat we have twice the solar power but no wind gen power.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 18:11   #56

Paul living at anchor in the bahamas with a 4 winds and 160watts of panels...we averaged about 60amphours from wind and 40 from solar. The problem with solar is fitting enough of it on a monohull. For wind...you HAVE to be able to get worthwhile output at 10knots and this means big blades to me. You are correct about anchoring out of the wind..and about not anchoring in shade...but the wind blows 24 by 7 and the biggest shade of all is night!
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 19:11   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
The problem with solar is fitting enough of it on a monohull. For wind...you HAVE to be able to get worthwhile output at 10knots and this means big blades to me.
There is no magic answer here that is for sure. If you don't begin with the idea that using elctricty is just a bad habit you don't have a chance of winning the energy battle.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 22:08   #58

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Holy Sh!t, that is a good price and less than half West....

Can't think of any reason for not buying it...?

Thanks for that link, what brand of beer do ya drink..
Costco sells air-x for little over $500 bucks ,no shipping
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:54   #59

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
wind and solar

We've found the combo of the 4-winds and the solar, two 75watt pannels and two different controlers work well to keep the boat powered.
The solar runs through a ProStar 15 and the 4-winds is Run through a TS-45, with a deverter load run to the water heater instead of a heat-sink.
I log our power, in and out and where the batteries are a couple times a day, and have found something interesting.
Are Batteries are Lifeline AGM with a 50% value at 12.2 volts and fully charged at 12.8.. we have 10-each of the 4d series..
At night when everything shuts down and theres calm aboard the boat, the batteries even out to 12.7 to 12.9, but but during the day when everything is being used, the solar is putting out and the 4-winds is kicking butt, the batteries might drop to 12.5 or 12.6 with a very rare 12.4 but are back up to the 12.8+- by the end of the day.
What I'm getting at is that as the voltage drops in the batteries, the controlers start kicking in and keep the batteries in the 75% area or above at all times..
Right now as I'm looking at the guages, 8:45 AM and the wind is putting out 4 amps and the solar is at 2.3 amps, the charge is at 13.1 volts and the reffer is sucking 4.5 amps... and all is working....
For my use, the combination of both the wind and solar is the best choice..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	3782  
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:18   #60

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Let me get this correct; you have 10 (ten) 4D batteries? You have over 2,000 amp hours on your boat! Where do you put 10 batteries? I have two of the 4 D series for my house and that's 420 amp hours.

Fair Winds
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind generator