Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2010, 15:13   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
What Kind of Charger Would You Get?

We have two 6 volts run in series giving us a single 12 volt 225AH house bank. We have no starter battery. Our motor has a 12 amp alternator on it and I imagine we will be motoring a lot because we are making a trip down river.

How big of a battery charger do we need? Can anyone suggest a model? Should we be looking only at "Marine Grade'? A lot of this stuff crosses over with RV companies etc. We are a small boat and a trailer sailor so I would like to avoid the expense installing a shore power socket if at all possible.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 15:33   #2
Eternal Member

I'd think about either the West Marine portable 30A charger (sells for $129 or, on sale, for about $89) or one of the smaller sized Iota chargers with the IQ-4 smart-charge option. One of the better sources for these is Northern Arizona Wind and Sun. The DLS-45/IQ-4 would be appropriate ($142.86 plus $29.95 for the IQ-4).
http://store.solar-electric.com/bach1.html

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 15:57   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
We have been using the Iota 45, a pair actually, and are absolutely delighted with the performance, and the batteries like it too. WG

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 16:08   #4

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
I am in a similar situation looking for a charger.

What about the ProMariner Promite 5?
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|328|985|316472&id=724506

ProMariner seems to have good prices, does anyone have experience with them? My boat does not have any way of charging batteries at this point.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 17:01   #5
Eternal Member

That's only a 5A charger. What size battery bank do you have? What type of batteries?

B.
Old 13-03-2010, 17:15   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Speaking in general of the ProMariners, in the past I have found them to be fine units. They are typically built for the marine environment and seem to be well engineered. I have installed several over the years on our boats and others with no issues.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 17:30   #7

110aH Deep Cycle Marine Lead Acid. I imagine I am looking at something like 13hrs charge time with a 6A charger? Seems fast enough to me. Should I go for a guest charger or the ProMariner one?
Old 13-03-2010, 18:45   #8

Are the Iotas marine grade though? I know the WM portables are not.
Old 13-03-2010, 20:16   #9
Eternal Member

If by "marine grade" you mean "ignition protected" then that's correct; neither of these two are "ignition protected". The West Marine portable charger comes with a warning that it shouldn't be used in an enclosed area unless it's a minimum of 18" above the floor (or bilge). The Iota doesn't have anything that creates sparks in normal operation.

Whether or not these chargers could be used safely depends on your boat. No problem with diesel boats. With gasoline powered boats, it would depend on how you install and use them. I personally wouldn't have any problem installing and using an Iota in any kind of boat. Or with using the WM charger in portable operation as it was designed for, taking normal precautions. You wouldn't light up a cigarette low in your bilge on a gas-powered boat would you?

Bill
Old 13-03-2010, 23:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
If by "marine grade" you mean "ignition protected" then that's correct; neither of these two are "ignition protected". The West Marine portable charger comes with a warning that it shouldn't be used in an enclosed area unless it's a minimum of 18" above the floor (or bilge). The Iota doesn't have anything that creates sparks in normal operation.

Whether or not these chargers could be used safely depends on your boat. No problem with diesel boats. With gasoline powered boats, it would depend on how you install and use them. I personally wouldn't have any problem installing and using an Iota in any kind of boat. Or with using the WM charger in portable operation as it was designed for, taking normal precautions. You wouldn't light up a cigarette low in your bilge on a gas-powered boat would you?

Bill
I'm with you there, it is more the moisture incursion that I am worried about. Exploding will be a worry with or without a battery charger, or with or without a boat for that matter.
Old 14-03-2010, 01:55   #11

I second the iota charger, one the best purchases I have made
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 09:56   #12

Wow well don't try to order your Iota Charger from these guys: RV Fun Products

I just called their "Customer Support" number because I was having a hard time placing my order. After telling me the problem was on my end the guy called me a F*&cking Piece if S*&&T fraudster. When I told him I was not going to try to order from him and that I wanted an apology he then swore at me for a few more minutes and hung up on me.

I call it RV sad poducts
Old 14-03-2010, 18:49   #13

Boat: a sailing boat
I would buy a marinized unit from a good company, 3-stage or 4-stage, with temp sensor and remote control. From the non-marine, but nearly so - the WAECO stuff (have had one for 7 years now). 1/4 the size of the bank, if possible. Our bank was 190 and 25 did fine, but now with a 110 bank it works much faster.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 18:54   #14

I ended up buying the ProMariner ProSport 6. It has different programs for Flooded/AGM/GEL. It has reverse polarity shutoff, fused +12, temperature regulation, 3 stage. It is safe to leave on at all times. It is only sufficient for one battery, but I don't have a starting battery, I have a pull start outboard!
Old 16-03-2010, 02:09   #15

Send a message via MSN to Kapitan
Why don't you consider Mastervolt Chargemaster series chargers? They are top notch products. You can buy 25A charger with a reasonable price. Plus it has three outputs so that in future if you'd like to add a starter battery etc. it will still be ok.
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote