Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2023, 22:50   #1

What AWG for 120 V inlet?

Curious what AWG triplex you guys are using for 30 amp (or 50) shore power inlet to AC distribution panel?

My current (original) i think is 10AWG which im replacing soon. All the online calculators are suggesting anywhere from 10-6 AWG. I think im going to go with 8. I have 30 amp shore with about 25 foot cable run one way. That should give me about 2% voltage drop give-or-take.

Just curious what some of you are using and if you have upgraded to heavier gauge for the lowest possible voltage drop now that lithium makes heavier electric appliance use more common, or if a few percent voltage drop really matters all that much on the AC side?
BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 00:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: What AWG for 120 V inlet?

#10 AWG Cu. wire is good for 30Amp, and, at 120VAC, voltage drop won't be a problem, at any reasonable distance.
Nothing wrong with oversize, except cost, weight, and difficulty installing.
For instance: The terminals, on your shore power inlet are designed for #10, so a larger wire would have to be trimmed, to fit. Same at shore connector.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 04:32   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I use 8 AWG for 30A circuits and 6 AWG for 50A circuits.

It is true that 10 AWG can do a 30A circuit but after the shore cables, which are long and 10 AWG as well as questionable outlets/inlets/plugs, creating a low resistance path inside the boat is simple.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 08:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

It is true that 10 AWG can do a 30A circuit but after the shore cables, which are long and 10 AWG as well as questionable outlets/inlets/plugs, creating a low resistance path inside the boat is simple.
Thanks Jedi. I'd rather spend the little extra money now and oversize it a bit especially since i will have half the galley torn apart to install it. I would like to run some energy hog items like an induction cooktop or burner in the future so i think it would be nice to know my mains cable can take everything i can throw at it and more.

I can imagine many modern boats with lithium must be pushing near 20+ amps regularly on a 30 amp circuit.
Old 15-12-2023, 17:47   #5

Quote:

Plus 1
drdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 08:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
#10 AWG Cu. wire is good for 30Amp, and, at 120VAC, voltage drop won't be a problem, at any reasonable distance.
Nothing wrong with oversize, except cost, weight, and difficulty installing.
For instance: The terminals, on your shore power inlet are designed for #10, so a larger wire would have to be trimmed, to fit. Same at shore connector.
Thanks Gord. I think im good and wont have to trim anything. I can get 8 gauge ring terminals or even power lugs to fit everything except possibly the shore power inlet plug as you mentioned. I will have to double check my power cord inlet and see if i can make it work without trimming any wires.
Old 10-12-2023, 09:00   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ORCA View Post
Thanks Gord. I think im good and wont have to trim anything. I can get 8 gauge ring terminals or even power lugs to fit everything except possibly the shore power inlet plug as you mentioned. I will have to double check my power cord inlet and see if i can make it work without trimming any wires.
Wait a minute…. the first thing the shore power inlet needs to connect to (within a very short distance) is a double pole breaker. Use 10 AWG for that, then continue with 8 AWG.

If you don’t have an isolation transformer then this breaker must have a RCD protection too.

Old 10-12-2023, 09:53   #8

Quote:
Wait a minute…. the first thing the shore power inlet needs to connect to (within a very short distance) is a double pole breaker. Use 10 AWG for that, then continue with 8 AWG.

If you don’t have an isolation transformer then this breaker must have a RCD protection too.
I will have a Blue Seas double pole breaker about 5 feet from the shore inlet plug. From there it will go to a galvanic isolator about three feet from the breaker, then it goes to the distribution panel onto a Blue Seas ELCI breaker, then from the ELCI breaker to the main 120 panel right next to it. The Main 120 panel has no breaker, just switching, (see pic). I think that covers everything?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panel.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	284259  
Old 10-12-2023, 10:39   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I will have a Blue Seas double pole breaker about 5 feet from the shore inlet plug. From there it will go to a galvanic isolator about three feet from the breaker, then it goes to the distribution panel onto a Blue Seas ELCI breaker, then from the ELCI breaker to the main 120 panel right next to it. The Main 120 panel has no breaker, just switching, (see pic). I think that covers everything?
Okay for all those short distances you can simply use 10 AWG.

You have installed too much! Here is what to do:

From inlet to ELCI breaker. Remove the double polebreaker. Then you insert the galvanic isolator in the ground conductor and hook up to the 120 panel.

You don’t have an inverter/charger?

Old 15-12-2023, 08:06   #10

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Thanks God. I think im good and wont have to trim anything. I can get 8 gauge ring terminals or even power lugs to fit everything except possibly the shore power inlet plug as you mentioned. I will have to double check my power cord inlet and see if i can make it work without trimming any wires.
I used 10 ga. - Ancor marine wire (triplex blk-wht-grn)

30 amp service

Run is about 08-10 feet from shore connector on boat to main panel

Also installed new shore power connector and galvanic isolation diode on green wire at same time

cheers.
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 09:01   #11

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

The common standard would be 10 AWG for a 30A inlet, 6 AWG for 50A. No reason not to go bigger if you want to reduce voltage drop and have more safety margin.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 10:24   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

You probably know this already but just in case ... DO NOT use solid core copper wire from your local building supply outlet. Use stranded cable that meets UL 1426 available at almost all chandleries.
Old 10-12-2023, 11:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
You probably know this already but just in case ... DO NOT use solid core copper wire from your local building supply outlet. Use stranded cable that meets UL 1426 available at almost all chandleries.
Thanks boatpoker, nope i have been reading my ABYC manuals :P. Only tinned copper Ancor wire.
Old 11-12-2023, 04:36   #14

Boat: Lagoon 380

I believe those white toggles are all breakers.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 04:55   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Indeed.
Note: The 2P Main 120VAC Breaker - bur NO 12VDC Main Brkr.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote