Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2012, 17:42   #1

Boat: Nor'Sea 27
Send a message via Skype™ to quartersplash
Tech question solar panels

I have 600 watts of solar panels in 2 separate intallations on my cat. One set is 4 90 watt panels hooked to a 30 amp regulator and the other is 2 120 watt panels hooked to another 30 amp solar regulator. Historically the 2 systems together would register 50 or 60 amps charging in full sun and before the regulators they would put out 17+ volts.
I left the boat for 2 months and when I got back, the charging seemed slow, so I checked the panels and only had around 14 volts charging before the regulators. What is strange is the both of the separate systems were exactly the same...Same charging rate. Also in full sun, both systems together were only putting out around 25 amps.
One thing is that there is lots of lightning here right now and many boats have been hit. I am wondering if something could have got blown out, but again, both systems are doing the same thing.....
Please help.
Thanks
quartersplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 18:07   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Tech question solar panels

I am not an expert but I would methodically isolate and measure each panel separately and see if you can isolate one or more bad ones. This is also an opportunity to check all connections for security and corrosion.

Also if not done so I would clean them before and after measuring.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 18:07   #3

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartersplash View Post
I have 600 watts of solar panels in 2 separate intallations on my cat. One set is 4 90 watt panels hooked to a 30 amp regulator and the other is 2 120 watt panels hooked to another 30 amp solar regulator. Historically the 2 systems together would register 50 or 60 amps charging in full sun and before the regulators they would put out 17+ volts.
I left the boat for 2 months and when I got back, the charging seemed slow, so I checked the panels and only had around 14 volts charging before the regulators. What is strange is the both of the separate systems were exactly the same...Same charging rate. Also in full sun, both systems together were only putting out around 25 amps.
One thing is that there is lots of lightning here right now and many boats have been hit. I am wondering if something could have got blown out, but again, both systems are doing the same thing.....
Please help.
Thanks
Solar panels are semiconductors and they can be directly affected by lightning. I had a lightning hit in June. My panels would put out 16-17 amps in mid-day sun before the hit and I have not seen over 13 since the hit. I suspect they took part of the hit because it knocked out my controller which I replaced.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 18:51   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

When you test the voltage before the regulators are you disconnecting the regulators so that you get full open voltage?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panels, solar