Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2007, 06:07   #1

Boat: Maxim 380
Solar Charge Controllers

Has anyone had experience with the Outback MX60 or Xantrex XW controllers? Any pros or cons? I'm looking to hook up 4 200 watt pannels with 7.6a 26.3v each. Any other suggestions?
Tropic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 06:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Outback MX60 is an MPPT Charge Controller; whereas the Xantrex XW is a Grid-Interactive Renewable Energy System with Backup Power.
They don’t appear comparable, to me.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 07:52   #3

Hi Gord, I thought from what I saw in the info about it it was the same thing. See the description:

Xantrex XW Solar Charge Controller

The Xantrex XW Solar Charge Controller (XW SCC) is a photovoltaic (PV) charge controller that tracks the electrical maximum power point of a PV array to deliver the maximum available current for charging batteries. When charging, the XW SCC regulates battery voltage and output current based on the amount of energy available from the PV array and state-of-charge of the battery
Old 19-10-2007, 07:57   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Sory, I didn't look far enough to see the Xantrex Technology Inc. - XW Solar Charge Controller - Product Information
I only looked at the XW System :: The Next Generation :: XW Series

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 13:17   #5

Boat: now floating easy37
solar boost 50 its cheaper
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 17:12   #6

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
You want the Outback controller. We have a Xantrex and the darn thing isn't marinized. After one year the display stopped working, although the controller seems to be performing fine, but I must manually check the input, output, etc. to be certain.
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 19:19   #7

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
I have been using the same Xantrex solar controller for the past six years. If it isn't marinized, I would be pleased if all my marine components were made to the same standard.
For solar controllers you really need an MPPT controller such as Blue Sky. The total available power will be ~10% higher than a non MPPT. Reference http://www.wholesalesolar.com/pdf.fo...ontrollers.pdf and What is MPPT? Explanation of maximum power point tracking
These articles should give you enough information to make the appropriate decision.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 02:53   #8

Boat: now floating easy37
marinising thats just a single pack sprayable epoxy over the circuit board not a difficult job to do your self if your that concerned
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 06:26   #9

Hi Jentine, the Xantrex XW is a new mppt solar controller that just came out a couple of months ago. Since I have several of their products on board I was wondering if there is any interface between it and say the link2000. From what I have been able to find out is that the XW and outback MX60 have much more functionality/control of the charging process compared to the blue sky 6024hl for almost the same price. I haven't ruled out the blue sky, because I know several people who have used them and seem to like them, but was trying to find out more about the ones which have more functionality. I've been told that the controller is the "BACKBONE" of your charging system and most important component. Thanks
Old 20-10-2007, 06:50   #10

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
I tried the Blue Sky controller--it may have increased the current by 10% or so, but it was definitely not marinized, and lasted less than one month.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 10:36   #11

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncat View Post
marinising thats just a single pack sprayable epoxy over the circuit board not a difficult job to do your self if your that concerned
If it's that simple, why doesn't Xantrex do it? Like donradcliffe, mine didn't last long and when I contacted Xantrex, they displayed no concern and were of no help. I have several other Xantrex products that I'm very pleased with, but if I ever get another solar controller it will be an Outback. I've heard nothing but good things about them.
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 15:48   #12

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Last year I delivered a Manta to the Bahamas. It had two Four Winds wind generators, six solar panels 580 watts, seven 12 volt batteries and no controllers. The batteries never overcharged and there was plenty of power for all functions.
That is another option.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 17:42   #13

With due respect to Jentine...I absolutely fried a set of 3 4D batteries with 160 watts of panels and one Four Winds in a few months without a controller. The 17+ Volts in full sun was too much for the wet cells and I'm sure AGM's/Gels would like it even less. It may take a bit of time...but a large array and wind vane without a controller will surely toast your batteries.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 18:05   #14

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Hey Cam,

You should have kept an eye on things. No controller is fine but you have to be there and watch the voltage.
Old 21-10-2007, 20:33   #15

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
The Outback 60 is digital MPPT and the Blue Sky is analog. This allows the Outback to be slightly more efficient but I am not sure if it is measurable.

The outback is more versatile in its ability to allow for other sources such as wind generators to be hooked into it.

Blue Sky and Outback are both very good brands. Either one will do a good job.

Keegan
Keegan is offline   Reply With Quote