Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2024, 00:43   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Rewring and Wire size

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
... A standard 120V outlet is rated for 15Amps, which is about 1500W. I would expect most "things" you plug into the outlet should be much less than 1500W, and should not cause any heating.
If it gets hot it is almost certainly not due to wire size but due to a poor connection, or corrosion on a connection...
... 12AWG would be common, and 10AWG a step up and might be a good idea in a marine environment. Of course you should look up in the tables, but in most cases that is what would be chosen.
A 15Amp circuit is typically wired with #14AWG wire.
Since the terminal wiring screw, on a 15A receptacle/switch, are all the same size [#8-32], any fork/ring crimp terminal*, with a #8 hole, will fit, allowing you to use #14 [rated 15A], #12 [rated 20A], or #10AWG [rated 30A] wire sizes, at your discretion.
There’s not usually much advantage in up-sizing AC wiring, but no problem, either [except cost etc].

* Since you’re using ‘stranded’ wire, you cannot install the wires directly under screw, but must use a terminal. Captive fork terminals don't require removal of the the receptacle screws, to install.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 05:51   #17

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by

[COLOR=#ff0000
*[/COLOR] Since you’re using ‘stranded’ wire, you cannot install the wires directly under screw, but must use a terminal. Captive fork terminals don't require removal of the the receptacle screws, to install.
And often the screws are staked so they don't come all the way out. You can force them out but then might not be able to get them back in. So fork terminals are the way to go.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 23:03   #18

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 33

Thanks all, I will update this when im done.... might be a while since im not able to get back to the boat for a month or so.
ekelly36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 06:53   #19

Boat: Catalina 30

Wire Size charts are all over the internet. Just make sure you are looking at the right type. (Marine DC or Marine AC) Boats require stranded wire, no solid core, not even for the AC side. Tinned stranded is best.) Using AWG sizes, going up 3 sizes doubles the capacity. You can use double cables, but it is not the preferred way. If using double cables, be as close to the same length and crimp as possible.

Remember you size the wire for the load, and the fuse/breaker for the wire size. You can use a smaller fuse/breaker than the wire needs, but not a larger one.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 07:27   #20
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

I am a marine electrician by trade and have fought with traditional 120VAC switches and outlets for years. Wrap the AWG 14 BC5W2 Boat Cable around the screws? Override the captive function of the screws and use ring terminals? Breakdown and use captive forks? In my opinion none of these methods are satisfactory.

I discovered the Wago line of connectors several years ago and started using them extensively. I even carry a couple of them in the pocket of my work shorts!

So, Leviton has married the connection of their switches and outlets with the Wago type technology and life is good! https://tinyurl.com/46uc493z
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 07:41   #21

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Is the wire getting hot or only the outlet? Or is it the plug? Heat is caused by resistance. If the wire is cool but the outlet is hot, the heat is identifying the area of high resistance. If only the outlet is hot, the wire isn't the problem. Check for corrosion or a marginal connection. The outlet may need replacing or it might be something as simple as a screw that needs tightening. One simple test might be squirting some WD40 into the outlet. It often softens the corrosion so inserting the plug scrapes some of the crud away allowing a better connection. This is a test, not a cure. If that reduces the heat, you have identified the problem. Change the outlet. Also check the plug on the appliance. Is it clean and are the wires tight?
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 17:13   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
I am a marine electrician by trade and have fought with traditional 120VAC switches and outlets for years. Wrap the AWG 14 BC5W2 Boat Cable around the screws? Override the captive function of the screws and use ring terminals? Breakdown and use captive forks? In my opinion none of these methods are satisfactory.

I discovered the Wago line of connectors several years ago and started using them extensively. I even carry a couple of them in the pocket of my work shorts!

So, Leviton has married the connection of their switches and outlets with the Wago type technology and life is good! https://tinyurl.com/46uc493z
Yeah im still putting everything together but I like the idea of these... I want all my new ones to have USB ports but I need to make sure they are ok to use in the marine environment... Everything I do from this point I dont want to redo for many years.
Old 26-03-2024, 06:41   #23

Boat: Catalina 470

OP, those sound like nice upgrades and they aren't cheap. Highly recommend you consult with a Marine Electrician to make sure you get your wiring done correctly and most important, safely. Your life might depend on it. I encourage you to not skimp on getting a professional assistance and not just CruisersForum advice.
glanrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2024, 23:56   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by glanrock View Post
OP, those sound like nice upgrades and they aren't cheap. Highly recommend you consult with a Marine Electrician to make sure you get your wiring done correctly and most important, safely. Your life might depend on it. I encourage you to not skimp on getting a professional assistance and not just CruisersForum advice.
Im pretty tech savvy and have many many years of 12v wiring experience, so the DC is cake..... its just the AC that im scared of lol.... Ive been watching alot of videos and reading, I think its going to be a very long install but it will be worth it. I prefer to do this kind of work myself because if I install it then I know I can fix it if it breaks. If someone else does it I have a tendency to not pay attention. yes its all going to be expensive but I will do it right the first time.... and after its done I plan on having a pro come inspect so that I know for sure I didnt miss anything.
Old 27-03-2024, 08:56   #25

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekelly36 View Post
Im pretty tech savvy and have many many years of 12v wiring experience, so the DC is cake..... its just the AC that im scared of lol.... Ive been watching alot of videos and reading, I think its going to be a very long install but it will be worth it. I prefer to do this kind of work myself because if I install it then I know I can fix it if it breaks. If someone else does it I have a tendency to not pay attention. yes its all going to be expensive but I will do it right the first time.... and after its done I plan on having a pro come inspect so that I know for sure I didnt miss anything.
Totally understand! I've been doing 12v for many years and thought I knew a fair amount. I didn't know what I didn't know. We are in the midst of doing an upgrade to our 12v and have used a Marine Electronics fella as a consultant/coworker after starting the job off just ourselves. We learned a lot recently about how dangerous DC when combined with the inverter/charger and receiving and delivering of hundreds of amps.

Not trying to tell ya what to do! Just a voice of caution. Neither my wife nor I ever let anyone do any work without one of us directly involved and we do most all of the work on our boat ourselves. We are working with this person to perform the labor of installation and he's helping us understand exactly how all of the systems will function/interact.

Wish you all the best in your upgrades!
glanrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2024, 17:02   #26

Blue Sea Systems has an online ap for DC wire size Circuit Wizard - Blue Sea Systems

DC wire is oversized because of the low voltage as compared to AC wire size.
nrx500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 03:47   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by glanrock View Post
Totally understand! I've been doing 12v for many years and thought I knew a fair amount. I didn't know what I didn't know. We are in the midst of doing an upgrade to our 12v and have used a Marine Electronics fella as a consultant/coworker after starting the job off just ourselves. We learned a lot recently about how dangerous DC when combined with the inverter/charger and receiving and delivering of hundreds of amps.

Not trying to tell ya what to do! Just a voice of caution. Neither my wife nor I ever let anyone do any work without one of us directly involved and we do most all of the work on our boat ourselves. We are working with this person to perform the labor of installation and he's helping us understand exactly how all of the systems will function/interact.

Wish you all the best in your upgrades!
I hear ya, lol how far away from New Jersey is he and how much does he charge per hour hahaha The marina im at allows me to work on the boat and subcontracting, which luckily they dont have electrical services or id be paying 150 an hour per their labor rate, Ive looked at a couple other companies in the area that do marine electrical that average 30 to 75 bucks an hour labor rate.

Tags
electrical system, guage, size, Wire, wire size