Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2013, 16:22   #1

Boat: None at the moment
Replacing old haligons with snazzy new LEDs

Hey everyone! I saw a few other posts about this topic but none that were very recent, so I thought I'd start another one just to see if things had changed much.

I'm looking to eventually replace all my lights on board with LEDs. I'm going to start first with the interior lights, then the nav lights, and then the mast head lights (but first I have to get up there to even see what I have...).

For the interior lights, I have some 5 watt, recessed halogens (4 in main cabin, 1 in V-berth, 1 in aft stateroom) and some bulkhead mounted dome type lights. I'd like the overhead recessed lights to be a little brighter and I'd like to have some red lights for nighttime use. I found these: Red or White Switchable LED G4 Bulb and they look really promising. I was wondering if anyone else has tried them and can comment on the brightness. They say the white light they give off is equivalent to a 10 watt halogen, so if they really are about twice as bright as the ones I have now that should be perfect. I'd also like to make sure they don't have a weird tint or anything before I go and buy 6 of them.

Then the dome lights I have 3 that take this type of bulb: Festoon LED Bulbs from marinebeam (I guess they're called "festoon" bulbs?) and one that takes 2 G4 halogens and has a 3 way switch (Off-1 on-both on). I'm thinking I'd like to use these as extra bright, white light when needed and maybe have the festoon bulbs as backup for the bow nav light in a pinch. The one that takes 2 G4s is in the galley and I'd like that one to be especially bright for cooking and whatnot. Anyone have any suggestions?

For the nav lights I've kind of just started looking so I don't have too many specifics in mind. If anyone has some general guidance for those, I'd love to hear that too. The bow light is a festoon bulb and the stern light is one of these (I think): Bayonet Bulbs with Indexed BAY15d Base (for Nav Lights)

Thanks so much everyone!
Toubab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 16:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Replacing old haligons with snazzy new LEDs

We JUST replaced ours. Pretty easy. My Wife likes the cool white vs warm white, so that is an option you have. Most like warm.

I had a bit of an issue with the nav lights, but you are not there yet.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 17:05   #3

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Snazzy LED's ... don't think I have come across that brand.

I am planning to replace all my incandescents with LEDs as well but only as they progressively burn out.
So far I have only replaced a single saloon light. The LED replacement is great. I usually leave it on all night so if I have to get up I am not stumbling around in the dark. It is great and it gives a nice bright light that consumes minimal juice. I am almost willing the remaining halogens to burn out but they stubbornly remain functional.
I also have two reading lamps over the lounge but the retaining ring on the housing and around the lamp appears to be corroded. It should be just a short twist to rotate it past a retaining pin but I just cannot figure out how to free it without smashing the whole thing. I have tried all sorts of lubricants and penetrating oils. Anyone got a magic spell or two.
Old 26-11-2013, 18:11   #4

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Those switchable G4s are pretty neat! Thanks for sharing. I can find a use for those...

Seems like you're on the right track so far, especially since you want to replace lamps like-for-like G4 style and retain your present fixtures.

Here's what we've done so far:

We replaced our old fluorescent type galley fixtures with these: DR. LED Under-Cabinet LED Lights (West Marine Link) and bought the Red/White option. Galley Master says she is pleased.

These Dr. LED Black Cobra LED Chart Light (Defender Link) are also what we installed - one at the chart table and one in the cockpit under the dodger.

For our salon reading lamps I bought and tried one each "warm" and not-warm MR11 LEDs as a test - and my wife came down firmly in the "warm" category. As the wallet allows, those will also be the replacement cabin reading lamps. Meanwhile - The non-warm LED lives on in my motor room as an adjustable spotlight..

And for the overhead cabin & passageway & motor room lights, we ripped out the old stuff and installed these with the Red/White option Dr. LED LED Dome Cabin Light (Old units were corroded, repaired, re-worked, re-soldered, and and and....)

Suggestion? Might you ask around and find out if there are other boats in your area that already installed LED lamps? Maybe (with a cold six-pack in hand) you might visit after dark and experience their illumination... Get a sense of "warm" or not style LEDs.

James
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 23:42   #5

Boat: None at the moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
Those switchable G4s are pretty neat! Thanks for sharing. I can find a use for those...
:-) Yea, I was happy to find them! I was thinking about doing a little project to see if I could come up with a way to make a separate switch that automatically turns the light on, off, then on again. Maybe with a relay or something... hmm...

Quote:
Suggestion? Might you ask around and find out if there are other boats in your area that already installed LED lamps? Maybe (with a cold six-pack in hand) you might visit after dark and experience their illumination... Get a sense of "warm" or not style LEDs.
That's a very good idea! Unfortunately 99% of the boats around me never seem to be occupied :-/. I'll start asking around though.
Toubab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 12:51   #6

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

I just read an excellent article on this. I've worked with a few marine LED builders on projects in the past, and many shy'd away from simply replacing bulbs. I think the article Enlightened: Founding Editor Bill Parlatore converts to LEDs | PassageMaker
Lays out well when you should replace a fixture or a bulb. That said we replaced a few "festoon bulbs" on the family boat this summer and so far they have worked out excellent. They were the DR LED ones from Defender. A little pricey thou.