Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2021, 21:30   #31

Re: Recommended basic AC power diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
Here is a link to 2008 AYBC E-11. A big criticism of AYBC standards is that they are not freely available. http://www.blackfinforums.com/sites/.../abyc-e-11.pdf
Study up on this, there will be a test.

Same thing there in 2008. With an isolation transformer, the shore ground must be brought aboard and connected to the transformer shield. So the requirement dates back at least 13 years.

As for freely available, almost no standards are available for free, just as most books aren't available for free. But anyone can "buy" them and use them. This is true for all standards that I can think of except IETF.
Old 13-05-2021, 21:32   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
It's out of date. I believe that some fairly significant changes have been made since then.

Not with respect to this topic.
Old 14-05-2021, 06:27   #33
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

On this point I agree that it is better to bring shore ground aboard as a 3-wire 120V 60Hz, 230V 50Hz or 240V 60Hz feed to the primary winding of the isolation transformer. Ideally the shore cable would have a shield connected to shore ground.

The point that I don’t agree with is the shield around transformer windings and I expect that ABYC will adapt to international code and allow transformers that, like the Victron units, use superior toroidal transformers. Those still connect to shore ground, but are not encapsulated in a shield (because there is no good reason for it).

The Victron isolation transformers conform to international IEC standards.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 06:31   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So about the “danger” to bring shore ground aboard: everything around shore power is a danger to the boat, so I guess if you bring it back from 3 to 2 conductors, this is a substantial reduction. However, when it is just a 3rd conductor in a single cable, then in reality the danger is that people connect it to their boat ground. This is why a safe installation requires skill, knowledge and discipline: it needs to be done right.

Old 18-05-2021, 00:31   #35

Boat: Maxi87 29' sailboat

Hmm, this seems to turn into a religion.

I'm an atheist, so I think I'll be safe (saved ?) to only use my 220V water boiler device on the slip next to my boat :-)
KISS
carstendenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 00:42   #36

Boat: Maxi87 29' sailboat

Please take a look at the photos of burned boats in this (danish) link :
https://smaabaadsnyt.dk/2020/08/01/p...brand-om-bord/

Be careful !

Carsten
carstendenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 17:21   #37

Boat: 1984 Passport 42 pilothouse cutter

This is the setup I'm working towards, although not this simpler setup but specifically one of S/v Jedi's older layouts that adds an autotransformer to the output of the multiplus.

I'm also intend to use a toroidal transformer from Bridgeport Magnetic. As they will wind a 120v/208v/230v/240v transformer to 240v output. Last email I got is the received all their UL/CE certifications and had been working with ABYC to add thier torroidal transformer to their standards. Using a switch it makes this a worldwide setup.

I've been following S/V Jedi's posts for a while. Haven't found a better electric setup for larger cruising boats. I have sent both his schematic and my changes to Victron and Bridgeport Magnetic's technicians, who have verified this is a good setup. I have since seen victron white papers on using the isolation transformer and autotransformer this way. If I remember right PKYS has an artical about this setup as well.

Probably should have said this a long time ago, but thank you Jedi!
alaskanviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 20:11   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanviking View Post
This is the setup I'm working towards, although not this simpler setup but specifically one of S/v Jedi's older layouts that adds an autotransformer to the output of the multiplus.

I'm also intend to use a toroidal transformer from Bridgeport Magnetic. As they will wind a 120v/208v/230v/240v transformer to 240v output. Last email I got is the received all their UL/CE certifications and had been working with ABYC to add thier torroidal transformer to their standards. Using a switch it makes this a worldwide setup.

I've been following S/V Jedi's posts for a while. Haven't found a better electric setup for larger cruising boats. I have sent both his schematic and my changes to Victron and Bridgeport Magnetic's technicians, who have verified this is a good setup. I have since seen victron white papers on using the isolation transformer and autotransformer this way. If I remember right PKYS has an artical about this setup as well.

Probably should have said this a long time ago, but thank you Jedi!
Thank you for the kind words Victron recommends this setup often, which is the reason the US distributors have plenty 230V units in stock as well as the auto transformers.

The Victron isolation transformer does do a boost so that 110V and even 208V become usable by a 240V configured Multiplus. The negative is that a hot 240V feed gets a bit high so a transformer with multiple taps is great.

I made a separate post for the setup with auto transformer here: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ts-250653.html

Tags
men