Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2021, 13:30   #16

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: New lead battery Technology coming.

The problem with bipolar batteries is you have to shift the positive and negative cables on the battery every time the battery polarity shifts. The reason you don't see these in broad use is right now the longest shift is about 15 minutes, which means you spend all your timing swapping your cables. One day they'll figure how to extend the polarity changes, until then....
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 14:24   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
The problem with bipolar batteries is you have to shift the positive and negative cables on the battery every time the battery polarity shifts. The reason you don't see these in broad use is right now the longest shift is about 15 minutes, which means you spend all your timing swapping your cables. One day they'll figure how to extend the polarity changes, until then....
Already resolved- use a diode bridge - or AC appliances designed for 0.067 Hz.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 15:48   #18

They only work at the top and bottom of our planet. (According to my Irish friend.)
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 17:26   #19

Boat: Tayana 37

On first reading, it seems like an April 1st announcement!
kish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 21:11   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

actually these batteries have to be treated with lithium to control their voltage swings- thus each of them needs a lithium based battery coupled to them. capacities must be matched and if your lithium based battery becomes depleted then the bipolar battery needs to be taken out of the bank and treated professionally. personally i am going to pin my hopes on the alcohol based battery that is said to be coming from Daniels Distributing company- i speak to one one of their reps- Jack on a regular basis and he consistently makes me feel positive about that technology's possibilities. Their facility is based in Tenn and they have been in business for many years.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 21:18   #21

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

My oh my, and Christmas is just around the corner.....

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 23:34   #22

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

At the beginning of this thread I didn't know anything about this new lead battery technology and now I am utterly confused.

They only work at the top and bottom of our planet. Can you give me a link to that?
What good would that be if you are on the equator?

Alcohol based battery. Is that like this battery which runs on vodka?

Bio-battery runs on shots of vodka

https://www.newscientist.com/article...hots-of-vodka/

So much to learn (Lucky there's experts on these forums for us beginners)
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:06   #23

If you check out the internet you will find that one country in Europe is being financed to produce electric car batteries for the EU. That country is Poland and it is clear to me that this is an advertising campaign being misread. It should be "Battteries? Buy Polish!"
However, I could be wrong. I once believed a politician as well.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:12   #24

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Who would want their battery bank to suffer from dramatic mood swings [manic-depression]?
Don't they use lithium to treat depression? One lithium battery in your bank might be enough to take care of those bipolar batteries. :-)

(Crap! I just saw someone beat me to it!)
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:49   #25

I was provided 48 Volt BLABs for use in the development of our electric lawn mowers going on near 20 years ago. The C rate / current potential is far higher from these because of less resistance across the entire face and the size and weight was about 60% of the traditional LAB architecture. We opted to use lithium for further energy density. The first 48 Volt versions were cubes about 6 inches in length.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 13:23   #26

So the Technology was used by NASA and JPL in the early 2000s . Problem was cost. So the breakthrough isn't the technology but the manufacturing. On a standard agm battery about 60% of the lead is for the plates and stores the power. The rest is used for structure and connecting the plates to the posts. Lead had only 7% of the connectivity of copper. So by eliminating it you reduce weight and increase c rating. The plates themselves are actually AGM and according to Exide battery can be manufactured on an existing agm assembly plant with modifications. Being in the battery business I hear about a lot of breakthroughs that never seem to materialize. This is one of the most promising so hopefully it will happen. Who knows. Will keep you guys posted on when I get more info. Also the main thrust is for EV's, HUGE market. Strong incentive to make this work.
Whatta Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:25   #27

Boat: Roberts 45

If this company has cracked the manufacturing process and is still not very well known, I wonder why a bigger existing player has not already swallowed them?

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:41   #28

They are not going to make them. They licensed the technology to 7 manufacturers. Exide is one of them, 4th largest in the world. This is one of the things that makes me more optimistic that it will happed.
Whatta Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 06:40   #29

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

I can't remember who coined this about technology, but I find it useful. "It is the technology of the future and always will be"
People trying to raise money for product development are the only ones who make marketing people seem honest and forthright.
As per the previous poster - I am not holding my breath.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 06:48   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Who would want their battery bank to suffer from dramatic mood swings [manic-depression]?
They fixed that problem with Lithium !
Wfbal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery