Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2020, 16:58   #1

Need Inverter advice---Please

Hello from George, I am looking for a good Inverter in the 2000-2500 watt size. (PS I an leery of Xantex--had 2 fail). I want a manually operated -no transfer switch--- and I want one that can be hard wired into the AC control panel to energize the boats 115 volt 15 amp outlets. Pure or modified sine wave ok. I know that many are available but use 15amp plus direct to the unit and I don't want this tangle. Thanks.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 03:51   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Need Inverter advice---Please

Xantrex is good but terrible CS attitude. Magnum is the best*, Vanner, Victron, MasterVolt, Sterling, Outback, ProMariner but pricey. Samlex and Tripplite solid middle ground. I've heard Morningstar is good.

Many these days buy cheap Chinese, Bestek ? AIMS ? GoPower ?

but it's a roll of the dice.

I'd like to get feedback on Kisae, may be as good as Samlex?

*research the model, apparently some bad ones recently?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 05:54   #3

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Not sure exactly how you connect up what you described, but after half a dozen Xantrex Freedom 10/20 boat anchors I decided to try a Renogy 1000 watt PSW inverter charger.

Two years and works like a charm (microwave, coffee, ect).

And yes it connects the neutral to ground in the inverter mode.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 12:43   #4
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

Victron Multi Plus is feature rich pure sine wave. My vote.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 14:51   #5
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
Of course, excellent if you want a combi charger/inverter all in one.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 15:44   #6

Boat: Lagoon 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Magnum is the best*

*research the model, apparently some bad ones recently?
Stay a million miles away from Magnum CSW inverters. At a glance they fit the bill for OP's requirements. 500, 1000, 1500, 2000W models, pure sine wave, nice and compact. These are cheap Chinese inverters built with no-name components sold as Magnum inverters. Same inverter as the West Marine Kisae inverter.

I had 2 fail in one year, the second bad out of the box.
rudykruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 15:45   #7

Boat: Lagoon 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
Victron Phoenix Compact is better suited to OP's requirements.
rudykruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 16:07   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Hello from George, I am looking for a good Inverter in the 2000-2500 watt size. (PS I an leery of Xantex--had 2 fail). I want a manually operated -no transfer switch--- and I want one that can be hard wired into the AC control panel to energize the boats 115 volt 15 amp outlets. Pure or modified sine wave ok. I know that many are available but use 15amp plus direct to the unit and I don't want this tangle. Thanks.

Have you considered using a combined charger/inverter?

There are many advantages of doing it this way. One of the best of various functions of these is "power boost", which allows you to limit the current you take from shore power, with any short term deficit compared to your demand made up out of inverted power from your batteries, which is then put back after the short term peak load is off. They will also dial down the current used for charging in order to enforce the current limit you set. This is a splendid aid to preventing blowing shore power breakers.

This does require a transfer switch though -- what is the reason why you don't want one of those? Having a transfer switch doesn't have anything to do with the inverter's being "manually operated" -- in any case, the inverter won't come on unless you switch it on.

The gold standard for such devices is Victron Multiplus, used by many people of this forum, including me. They are not infallible -- mine has failed once and had to be sent back for a new control board -- big PITA. But Victron are really the highest level of engineering and construction in this business. The Multipluses are massive beasts using real magnet transformers rather than switching transformers, so that's another consideration -- space for installing it. A rival of Victron, another Dutch company, is Mastervolt, also used by many with good results, also worth looking at.

If you really don't want a charger/inverter for whatever reason, then I will second the suggestion made above of a Victron Phoenix. Just one word of advice -- be conservative about sizing it, and read the fine print. The largest "Compact" Phoenix is only good for realistic 1450W. The next size up, which is full size already and weighs 18kg, is good for realistic 2000-2200W.

I would avoid Xantrex and all the Chinese made stuff like the plague. Xantrex was all the rage in the early 2000's in the U.S. and I don't know a single person who got more than 3 or 4 years out of one before it became a boat anchor. We know that the Chinese make some good stuff, but marine electrical gear is not among it, apparently.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 16:18   #9

Thanks all for the input. I decided to go wit a Promariner 2000 watt modified sine wave unit. It does have a transfer switch and can be hardwired into the boats existing 115V 15 amp outlets. It also has a wall mounted on/off switch . It is relatively light weight. Boat has 3 80 watt solar panels and a 15amo dock charger. I learned that its dangerous to hard wire a unit that does not have a transfer switch. Time will tell tic tick tick...……...
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2020, 17:42   #10

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We are very happy with our Victron components. We have a Victron Multiplus 12V 3KVA inverter with 120amp charger. We cruise and live on the hook. We occasionally charge using our Honda EU2000i, so I have the charger set at 80amp max. I have never had any electronics get grumpy about the power coming out of the inverter and I'm an IT geeks with all the IT garnish.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 04:32   #11

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Thanks all for the input. I decided to go wit a Promariner 2000 watt modified sine wave unit. It does have a transfer switch and can be hardwired into the boats existing 115V 15 amp outlets. It also has a wall mounted on/off switch . It is relatively light weight. Boat has 3 80 watt solar panels and a 15amo dock charger. I learned that its dangerous to hard wire a unit that does not have a transfer switch. Time will tell tic tick tick...……...

We have the 2000W PSW version... but I didn't mention it because it has an automatic transfer switch.

Anyway, it works well enough. I've read some loads don't like MSW, so we went with PSW... and haven't had any issues. Don't know if we would have had any issues if we had chosen the MSW version, though.

-Chris
Old 05-04-2020, 03:01   #12

Boat: J/42

Geoleo - I think I'm trying to do the same config you describe. Separate 2000W inverter, but I want to wire (backfeed?) the AC outlets on the boat. I have an AC main switch wired to the shore power circuit, and I'm just trying to figure out how to wire the inverter to it. When you say transfer switch is required...is that just a separate on/off switch for the inverter? or something automated to avoid issues if shorepower is ON and inverter is ON? many thanks..
wsconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:43   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsconner View Post
Geoleo - I think I'm trying to do the same config you describe. Separate 2000W inverter, but I want to wire (backfeed?) the AC outlets on the boat. I have an AC main switch wired to the shore power circuit, and I'm just trying to figure out how to wire the inverter to it. When you say transfer switch is required...is that just a separate on/off switch for the inverter? or something automated to avoid issues if shorepower is ON and inverter is ON? many thanks..

Transfer switch switches over the source of the boat's AC power system from shore to inverter and vice versa.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 05-04-2020, 03:48   #14

Boat: J/42

ok, got it. I think I'm going to use the simple xantrex transfer switch that's an accessory to my xantrex prowatt inverter. So basically I disconnect the feed from the shorepower that connects to the main ac breaker on my panel (which feeds other AC items) and wire that into one of the inputs on the transfer switch, and then wire the output (load) from the transfer switch to the main ac panel? think that's right..
wsconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:03   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsconner View Post
ok, got it. I think I'm going to use the simple xantrex transfer switch that's an accessory to my xantrex prowatt inverter. So basically I disconnect the feed from the shorepower that connects to the main ac breaker on my panel (which feeds other AC items) and wire that into one of the inputs on the transfer switch, and then wire the output (load) from the transfer switch to the main ac panel? think that's right..

Correct.
Walt Whitman

Tags
inverter, lease