Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 14:27   #1

Marine Suppliers in Quebec, QC

Can anyone suggest a good marine supplier or two in Quebec, QC? I've found it very difficult to get parts throughout Canada, and am now at a point where I really need a new shore power cord. My experience so far has been that what few suppliers there are have very restricted stock, and ordering something takes a week+. I'm not in any one place for that long, and don't know reliably where I'll be a week or two out to have things shipped ahead. It makes me appreciate the US where you can get pretty much anything reliably within a day or two.

As mentioned, a 50A shore power cord is my current focus. The plug end on mine smoked, and the spare that I have isn't long enough to reach. 50A isn't very popular here, so expect the answer will be "sorry, we don't have then" when I go to the supplier on Tuesday once everyone reopens after the Canada Day Holiday. I'm looking at Global Marine which I think is the bigest place here, but the other day I was wholly unsucessful with my shopping list at the time, so I'm not real optimistic.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 14:41   #2

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35
Re: Marine Suppliers in Quebec, QC

Many suppliers in Canada carry limited stock and bring in from wholesalers due to our short season and smaller boating market. There are larger well equipped spots if you are in need. Others will be able to get you stuff in a day or two if you want to pay for express shipping. I've been in your shoes and know how you feel. However there are options.
I've used BL Yachting's mail order and found they had stuff in stock. I think they are in/near Quebec City
blyachting.com
I've also used The Binnacle in Halifax (binnacle.com) in Halifax and Pride Marine in Ontario (pridemarine.com) with good success. The Binnacle is better than any West Marine I've ever been in and may be able to help you out quicker than you think. If worse comes to worse you can always cut the end off your spare and replace the cooked one. Good luck!!
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:43   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

An electrical supply house should be able to provide a replacement cord cap (plug).
See:
electrical supply quebec city - Google Maps

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:07   #4

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch
Binnacle out of Halifax has them if you can't find one locally. They should be able to get it to you in a day or two.

http://ca.binnacle.com/Electrical-Sh...ml#description

Good luck,
Paul
Paul Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:54   #5

Plan A was to get a replacement plug for my existing cord, but I have been to 3 large electric supply houses this morning and none have it. We leave tomorrow at 7am to catch the tide, so ordering is not an option at this point.

Plan B is to buy a second 50A extension cord so I can more easily reach my bow power inlet without having to be bow-in in a slip.

Plan C is to buy a second 30A cord. That will give me the extra reach that I need, provided I am plugged into two 30A dock outlets rather than a single 50A.

Plan D is to build a 30A to 50A jumper cord with both legs of the 50A side wired together. I won't be able to run any 250V appliances (water heater and AC), but all else will work. This is a hack job which is why it's plan D.

And I can always run my genset, but I don't like to do that when there are other boats in close proximity. And when we are underway each day, we really don't need shore power or genset anyway.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:48   #6

Where are you and which way are you headed? I'm sure that you could have it expedited to a place a day or two ahead. It sounds like you have lots of backup solutions! Enjoy the cruise, the locks are pretty impressive and lots of nice places to visit!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:16   #7

Plan B has failed too. Neither of the two big marine suppliers in the city carry 50A cables. So I've implemented Plan C which is to add a second 30A cord. So now I can reach a 50A outlet within 50' of my bow, or 2 30A outlets within 100' of my bow. That should give me sufficient options until I return home, especially considering that 50A outlets are pretty much non-existent in this part of the world.

Shipping ahead is an option, but I think I'll avoid the logistical challenges of that unless I run into something more critical than the problems I have so far.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:15   #8

30 amp is most common around were I sail. I don't know about up in the Lakes. I'm sure once you get near a place that uses 50A you'll be able to find a cord
Beauty of a boat to travel in! Have a great time!!

Tags
marine, quebec