Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2020, 11:08   #1

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Marinco shore power adapter failure

I have a Marinco house-power 3-prong male into 30A lock shore power female.

The 3-prong has one leg which has broken at the hole in it.

Is there any practical way to replace that end (the entire 3-prong, with some cut-it-off-and-install-new), or do I have to buy an entire new unit?

I have successfully repaired a cut shore power cord (wear-through; hot/burn) by cutting out the segment, different-length legs glue-crimps butted/heat shrunk connections, and several layers of yellow heat-shrink over that; it's lasted well for 13 years...

https://smile.amazon.com/Marinco-Pig...=pd_sbs_200_17
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:20   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Marinco shore power adapter failure

Not sure what broke, if it was a male plug brown off into the female of course the male end can be removed with hemostats etc.
If either end needs replacing, both ends can be purchased at a home improvements store, they won’t look so waterproof, but work fine

Pick a three wire one of course, it’s what I do when a shore power connection causes my plug to burn
https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=30+amp+plug
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:26   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Not sure what broke, if it was a male plug brown off into the female of course the male end can be removed with hemostats etc.
If either end needs replacing, both ends can be purchased at a home improvements store, they won’t look so waterproof, but work fine

Pick a three wire one of course, it’s what I do when a shore power connection causes my plug to burn
The male broken part is inside the new receptacle I put on the 12Ga extension cord which had a 3-unit head, all of which had eventually failed, and was replaced. I can take that apart again and extract the piece with no issue.

But the failure modus is that the leg isn't long enough any more to make reliable contact with the receiver.

Look at the pic which comes up in the link. Separate one of the flat lugs at the hole to see my issue...
Old 08-01-2020, 11:24   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

There are "commercial" grade replacement plugs available, I cannot advise if they are recommended for shorepower use.
https://www.amazon.com/Legrand-Pass-...FA20VQ6PNG1C78
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:21   #5

A tech support guy wrote back:

Skip,

Part 104SPP has molded connectors, and it is always recommended to replace the entire adapter. Molded connectors have the best water resistance.

Replacement connectors are available. You can purchase replacement connectors with weatherproof boots for the male plug and female connector. The replacement female connector will not have an LED.

15A male plug 5266CR https://www.marinco.com/en/5266cr + boot 1520BI.OEM https://www.marinco.com/en/1520bi-pt-oem

30A female connector with boot 305CRCN.VPK https://www.marinco.com/en/305crcn-pt-vpk

David Freeman

Technical Service

800.307.6702 direct

800-799-3779 fax

technical@marinco.com
Old 09-01-2020, 09:33   #6

But then he wrote back in response to my observation that the adapter cord was #10 wire:

Skip

Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2020 11:48 AM

To: Skip Gundlach

Subject: RE: Pigtail Adapter, 30A 125V Female To 15A 125V Male

You are correct. Part 5266CR is designed for use with 18/3 to 12/3 cable. My apologies for the incorrect information. We do not make a plug that accepts 10 ga wire. The boot will not work either. The end is tapered, but if you cut the taper, won’t have enough boot left to completely cover the plug.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. We do not have a solution for a replacement plug that will work with part 104SPP. All I can recommend is replacing the adapter.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:07   #7

Boat: Coast 30

Marinco...shore power plug...I had one of those it nearly set the boat on fire. Totally burnt. I changed to Smart Plug. any feed back on those?
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:11   #8

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

Go smartplug. I have one and will never go back to the twistlock style... because I sleep better. ;^)

... if you still have doubt, see below from MaineSail

https://marinehowto.com/shore-power-...tplug-vs-1938/
Old 09-01-2020, 12:31   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
Marinco...shore power plug...I had one of those it nearly set the boat on fire. Totally burnt. I changed to Smart Plug. any feed back on those?
I am curious about the backstory and how this was the fault of the cable or the brand of cable. This sounds like a load issue or a faulty breaker issue. The cable fails when more load is carried across the circuit than the circuit was designed to handle.

This is a bit like killing the messenger.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 13:39   #10

Boat: Coast 30

Every part it was as manufactured by Marinco plug and cord. also the locking ring was properly installed. Running on it was a Consta Volt battery charger, a small bar fridge and a couple of trouble lights during the day while work was being done.

At night only 12 V lights were used. The battery charger was turned off to stop the humming sound. and a small Honeywell turbo heater was cycling on thermostat.

A slight change in the color of the outer plastic was observed So I unplugged it for inspection. Terminals black and hot, interior of socket melted, In state of shock I Scrapped it.

At the marine store I was introduced to smart plug. A bit expensive but was told Marine surveyors and marine insurance companies like them.
Always up for smoothing things over with them !.

(consta Volt charger now removed ProNautic 1260P instead)
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 13:47   #11

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
Every part it was as manufactured by Marinco plug and cord. also the locking ring was properly installed. Running on it was a Consta Volt battery charger, a small bar fridge and a couple of trouble lights during the day while work was being done.

At night only 12 V lights were used. The battery charger was turned off to stop the humming sound. and a small Honeywell turbo heater was cycling on thermostat.

A slight change in the color of the outer plastic was observed So I unplugged it for inspection. Terminals black and hot, interior of socket melted, In state of shock I Scrapped it.

At the marine store I was introduced to smart plug. A bit expensive but was told Marine surveyors and marine insurance companies like them.
Always up for smoothing things over with them !.

(consta Volt charger now removed ProNautic 1260P instead)

Dielectric grease prior to leaving it plugged in all that time running was the fix.

The original "smart plug"
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 14:37   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I am curious about the backstory and how this was the fault of the cable or the brand of cable. This sounds like a load issue or a faulty breaker issue. The cable fails when more load is carried across the circuit than the circuit was designed to handle.

This is a bit like killing the messenger.
Marinco Plugs have very small surface area contact and the spring half of the connector is prone to distorting. Those factors plus a little corrossion can create high resistance at the contact points inside the connector. This can result in excessive high temps at lower than rated amps...a breaker wont protect against this.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:41   #13

Boat: Allied Mistress CC 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Marinco Plugs have very small surface area contact and the spring half of the connector is prone to distorting. Those factors plus a little corrossion can create high resistance at the contact points inside the connector. This can result in excessive high temps at lower than rated amps...a breaker wont protect against this.
Just a terrible design I have replaced far to many and can not imagine how many fires have been caused by these plugs even brand new will heat up long before 30 amps and just one time heated destroys tension on blade ie resistance short.
Mistress Sirena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:51   #14

Yet not a single person here practices good seamanship and properly connects their shore power cord using dielectric grease??

You wonder why you have corrosion which causes connectors to fry but you do nothing about it?

That's like not using zincs on your boat and wondering why your poorly made propeller and seacocks keep rotting out and sinking your boat.

Do the rest of us a favor so you don't burn down the whole marina. Start practicing a little good seamanship and protect your shorepower connectors with dielectric grease so they don't become a fire hazard.

Thank you.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:19   #15

Burnt connectors? It's from overloading or too much resistance.

Dielectric grease on all shorepower connections. That'll prevent them from burning up unless overloading was the issue.

Tags
shore power