Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2021, 10:32   #1

Lithium house bank on long term shore power

Hi All. I have a lithium house bank with Victron inverter/charger. I am currently at a dock plugged in to shore power and notice that the battery SOC is always at 100%. This has me concerned in that I read that it is not healthy to Lithium banks to be kept at a constant 100% SOC. Is this so? I intend to leave the boat for several months plugged in to shore power to keep dehumidifiers running to minimize moisture and mold issues so need the shore power. Also, the bilge pumps are powered off the house bank so I don't want to let the house bank get too low if I turn the inverter/charger off. There is no separate battery charger in the system, only what the inverter/charger provides. Do I need to change the charge parameters on the Victron or is this really not an issue at all?
TIA
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 12:46   #2

Re: Lithium house bank on long term shore power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
Hi All. I have a lithium house bank with Victron inverter/charger. I am currently at a dock plugged in to shore power and notice that the battery SOC is always at 100%. This has me concerned in that I read that it is not healthy to Lithium banks to be kept at a constant 100% SOC. Is this so?
It depends somewhat on the battery type, temperature and a few other parameters, but a capacity loss of 5 to 10 % per year is not unheard of.

Quote:
Do I need to change the charge parameters on the Victron or is this really not an issue at all?
TIA
You can try to adjust the charge parameters. But I'm afraid that it will be difficult to find a setting that reliably keeps the LFP batteries around 50 % SOC because the SOC vs. voltage curve of LFPs is very flat.

Would running the dehumidifiers off a small lead acid (starter battery?) present an option? The Multiplus would be connected to that LA battery such that the LA battery is always kept full (I assume your Multi is more than powerful enough to compensate for the draw of the dehumidifiers and bilge pumps). The LFPs can then be discharged to 70 % SOC or so and disconnected completely.
lmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 19:03   #3

Boat: Nautitech 44.2

I had that situation, but with solar panel.

From memory, I think I set the bulk voltage on the MPPT regulator around 13.45V, absorption time set to minimum and float at 13.2V. The batteries were at 60 - 65% after one month.

Now my BMS takes care of it all. I set min and max SOC. When max is reached, charge is disabled... then re-enabled when SOC reaches min. I can also set it to allow a full charge every XX days.
Philtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 20:17   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Get SOC down to 70% or so, then disconnect the battery and use an AGM battery at float charge, which they love.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 05:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philtao View Post

From memory, I think I set the bulk voltage on the MPPT regulator around 13.45V, absorption time set to minimum and float at 13.2V. The batteries were at 60 - 65% after one month.

Now my BMS takes care of it all. I set min and max SOC. When max is reached, charge is disabled... then re-enabled when SOC reaches min. I can also set it to allow a full charge every XX days.
My batteries come with a BMS that has no external control, unfortunately.
Old 19-06-2021, 05:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmxr View Post
It depends somewhat on the battery type, temperature and a few other parameters, but a capacity loss of 5 to 10 % per year is not unheard of.

You can try to adjust the charge parameters. But I'm afraid that it will be difficult to find a setting that reliably keeps the LFP batteries around 50 % SOC because the SOC vs. voltage curve of LFPs is very flat.

Would running the dehumidifiers off a small lead acid (starter battery?) present an option? The Multiplus would be connected to that LA battery such that the LA battery is always kept full (I assume your Multi is more than powerful enough to compensate for the draw of the dehumidifiers and bilge pumps). The LFPs can then be discharged to 70 % SOC or so and disconnected completely.
This would require some re-wiring which I am loathe to do.
Old 19-06-2021, 09:02   #7

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Hi All. I have a lithium house bank with Victron inverter/charger. I am currently at a dock plugged in to shore power and notice that the battery SOC is always at 100%. This has me concerned in that I read that it is not healthy to Lithium banks to be kept at a constant 100% SOC. Is this so? I intend to leave the boat for several months plugged in to shore power to keep dehumidifiers running to minimize moisture and mold issues so need the shore power. Also, the bilge pumps are powered off the house bank so I don't want to let the house bank get too low if I turn the inverter/charger off. There is no separate battery charger in the system, only what the inverter/charger provides. Do I need to change the charge parameters on the Victron or is this really not an issue at all?
TIA

Is there wifi where you're on shore power? The Victrons can be internet accessible (IIRC), you could manually turn the charge on and off as needed?
Old 19-06-2021, 09:48   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Following. What is harder on the batteries, a series of daily discharges of 5-10% SOC for six months, or being floated at 13.4v for 6 months?
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 11:46   #9

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

I second the Victron remote management option. I can control my Victron chargers from wherever I am. Is not a big investment at all.

The alternative is to keep the batteries at the lower “knee”, about 20% of charge . This is better than floating them at 100%. There is no way to set a charge controller to keep the batteries at 50%, as the curve is completely flat there.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 12:21   #10

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Ok, shoot me. But where does it say holding LiFePO4 battery at 13.5 volts, 100% SOC for long period is bad? Am asking because I have a Mastervolt system with their MassCombi, SolarChargemaster, a couple of Mac Plus DC-to-DC chargers, and their MLI Ultra battery. All of these chargers have MLI-specific settings, which include float.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 12:45   #11

Boat: Outremer 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Ok, shoot me. But where does it say holding LiFePO4 battery at 13.5 volts, 100% SOC for long period is bad? Am asking because I have a Mastervolt system with their MassCombi, SolarChargemaster, a couple of Mac Plus DC-to-DC chargers, and their MLI Ultra battery. All of these chargers have MLI-specific settings, which include float.
+1 - I have more or less the same setup and I too have left mine on shore power (100% SOC) for long periods without any apparent issues.
HBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 13:27   #12

Quote:

Would really like to see which BMS brand you use.

Cheers
Dirk
Dirk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 13:33   #13

Boat: Nautitech 44.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk01 View Post
Would really like to see which BMS brand you use.

Cheers
Dirk
I use the TAO BMS (www.taobms.com)
Philtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 14:01   #14

Quote:
I use the TAO BMS (www.taobms.com)
Many Thanks! I was on the road to victron or R.E.C, but TAO BMS seems to be the best solution on the market. I'll have a deep dive into it.

Cheers
Dirk
Dirk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 14:20   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
Is there wifi where you're on shore power? The Victrons can be internet accessible (IIRC), you could manually turn the charge on and off as needed?
No wifi here, private dock.

Tags
shore power