Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2018, 04:50   #1

Kohler 6EKOD shutdown help

Hello all,

I have a Kohler 6ekod generator with 650ish hours. I recently had it serviced and after running the generator for about 4 hours after service I am now getting a RunRelCoil shutdown. I have not tried to restart it yet as I can not find any information in the manual relating to this fault.

Has anyone seen this before??

Thanks
fjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 05:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Kohler 6EKOD shutdown help

FWIW:
RunRelCoil Shutdwn - Run Relay Coil Overload - Excessive current on the run (70) line. Check for shorted relays or shorted wires.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 12:03   #3

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
FWIW:
RunRelCoil Shutdwn - Run Relay Coil Overload - Excessive current on the run (70) line. Check for shorted relays or shorted wires.
Good thing we have you around Gord.

I recently experienced the same fault code (runrelcoil) on my genset and the Kohler Service group had no clue and had never seen this fault code before. Google provided the link to this thread which got me thinking in the right direction.

There are no relays in this system as they have been replaced by a solid state board (relay interface board) but your premise was exactly correct in that there was too much current draw on the line. This narrowed it down to either the fuel solenoid or the fuel pump. As it turned out it was the fuel pump drawing too much power to run and I replaced it with a spare which I had on board.

Thanks again Gord as if you hadn't replied to this thread I would probably still be looking for the problem. Hopefully this additional information will help the next guy and I made sure to let the support group at Kohler Brisbane know as well.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 02:50   #4

Boat: 1998 Nauticat 515
Send a message via Skype™ to lelievre12

Yup, I had the same error with my Kohler 7EKZoF. RUNRELCOIL.
I think the fuel filter blocks, then the fuel lift pump overheats and shorts. In my case the terminal on the 20 amp fuse also melted. This in turn cuts power on F2/F2A wire. Main ADC controller then dies.

So change your fuel filters often and carry a spare lift pump. Or if your fuel tanks are above the genset you can disconnect the lift pump, you don’t need it.

If your controller goes dead then check for 12V on the F2A wire on the controller plug. If no volts then check the terminals of the 20amp fuse.

Hope this helps. my genset was only 400 hours old.
lelievre12 is offline   Reply With Quote