Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2020, 15:09   #1

Boat: Pearson 323
Re: Just installed LiFePO4 and solar array not working/going crazy.

The Victron MPPT stabilized its voltage readings around 40 by the time the sun was high. That is a problem I'll have to address if it recurs, but for the moment I'm just glad it's looking good.

The general problem with the circuit was a bad fuse or fuse holder, haven't worked out which yet. But that's solved.

I'm still getting different readings from different instruments, but chalking that up the the variety of cheap Chinese monitors and multimeters and balancers I have currently. Gonna have to shell out for a nice(er) multimeter soon.
Santiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 00:44   #2
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75
Re: Just installed LiFePO4 and solar array not working/going crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiano View Post
The general problem with the circuit was a bad fuse or fuse holder, haven't worked out which yet.
I'm not sure which type of fuse holder you have, but beware of the twist-together type. (See photo.) They are not water tight, are constructed of POS (Plain Old Steel) that rusts and worst of all, the connection is held by an internal spring -- if enough tension is placed on the wires, the connection with the fuse will pull apart internally breaking the connection. The connection will re-make when the tension is released. That can make you crazy if the problem is intermittent, like in a wiring bundle that moves at sea.

The fuse holder below will corrode and fail in a very short time in a seawater/salt air environment. They also tend to melt before the fuse blows. They have no place on a boat. Their only redeeming quality is that they are dirt cheap.

For low current point-to-point wiring, I prefer the watertight ATO/ATC type fuse holders.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse.PNG
Views:	78
Size:	392.2 KB
ID:	206752  
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lifepo4, solar, work